Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

HPanda posted:

At this point, feel like I wouldn’t have minded if they made this one 2D as well, and just essentially ramped up 4 into new story and features. But then again, I like that type of partial top down view and gameplay.

Same. Especially when you compare Monster Hunter Rise to RF5, it's more than a little embarrassing. It doesn't help that the translation to 3d made the controls much less precise, and that they made the animations much less fluid and much slower for some reason. There's a lot of things I like about RF5, but it kinda feels like playing in molasses after playing RF4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kx4gBlDhK8

here's what the pc port would look like performance wise

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

AARD VARKMAN posted:

it is pretty fail that you can't marry the the two ladies with huge boobies imo

Isn't that rune factory canon though?

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

Also crashed once and autosaves are only when you sleep it looks like, so save often.

I had a weird instance where I saved midday Spring 4 after doing a bunch of requests (ship the turnip, give a gift, get the hammer) and turned the game off. Next day, see that there's an auto save on Spring 5 at 6AM. Not trusting my memory I load that one, and it loaded on Spring 5 without all those above quests done. Didn't notice until I cleared the first dungeon as that scene also triggered again.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Will agree with that the town definitely feels more sterile than earlier, non-3d entire and that it could have used a difficulty more on-par with RF4Special's added one but all-in-all I'd still say it's a perfectly good game for anyone who enjoys the series or genre.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So I’ve been mulling over getting Rune Factory 5. It would be my first RF, but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed Stardew and put a zillion hours in that.

Should I start with 4 or jump into 5?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Saxophone posted:

So I’ve been mulling over getting Rune Factory 5. It would be my first RF, but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed Stardew and put a zillion hours in that.

Get RF4 Special. It's half the price and is a fantastic game that got even better with the remaster.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Saxophone posted:

I also recommend 4 as a starter. I don't normally care about performance issues but the ones in 5 are bad enough that I think it really detracts from the experience, and adding the frankly not-great environmental art direction on top of that, it would probably leave a pretty bad impression on newcomers.

That said, 5 has everything that was great about 4 in terms of the gameplay loop, so if you're really willing to put up with those things, 5 will be fine. (note: I think most of us here have only played RF5 for a few hours)

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I can agree. The performance issues aren't gamebreaking but they are very noticable and consistant and considering how long these games usually are..that's a lot of time to put up with them. Still good, just mostly for RF fans who have already consumed all the other content available.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Where's the Fairy? I found the other two of the first hunted monsters, but I can't find it. Being told it's in "central" of the woodlands does not exactly help.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Where's the Fairy? I found the other two of the first hunted monsters, but I can't find it. Being told it's in "central" of the woodlands does not exactly help.

by the pond

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gyoru posted:

by the pond

Further than I'd gone on to look, thank you!

e: totally unrelated, but the Cheep-Cheep Sandals still make their annoying noise in cutscenes lmao

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 23, 2022

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Saxophone posted:

Four. Which is also on the PC if you so wish

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

4 is cool but u can't be gay in it which sucks cause fortes cool

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are mods for that

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there are mods for that

not on the switch there aren't :(

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there are mods for that

I just found out about these mods and so my interest in 5 has been derailed because of the performance issues because try as I might: I can't find too many, if any, people actually talking about the mechanics of the game. :negative: it performs so badly no one's playing it I guess, so I have no way of knowing if it improves on 4's crafting and such or not.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Nuebot posted:

I just found out about these mods and so my interest in 5 has been derailed because of the performance issues because try as I might: I can't find too many, if any, people actually talking about the mechanics of the game. :negative: it performs so badly no one's playing it I guess, so I have no way of knowing if it improves on 4's crafting and such or not.

Crafting is basically identical. Most of it is the same as 4, but in a 3D environment.

Except you auto pickup items all Stardew Valley, which is great and the fishing is way more forgiving.
There’s also a new monster-catching system that lets you grab items from them without fighting them. It also lets you grab items from a distance (like fruit up in trees).

HellOnEarth fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 24, 2022

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

HellOnEarth posted:

Crafting is basically identical. Most of it is the same as 4, but in a 3D environment.

Except you auto pickup items all Stardew Valley, which is great and the fishing is way more forgiving.
There’s also a new monster-catching system that lets you grab items from them without fighting them. It also lets you grab items from a distance (like fruit up in trees).

Thanks, is this game "bigger" than 4? As in more stuff to craft, collect and explore? Or is it the same/smaller? I like the tedium of getting everything.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Nuebot posted:

Thanks, is this game "bigger" than 4? As in more stuff to craft, collect and explore? Or is it the same/smaller? I like the tedium of getting everything.

I’m not that far in, so I’m not sure. It’s a little hard to tell because of the transition from the 2D screens to the more open-world. The initial area is pretty big and I know there’s more past it. I imagine it’s probably about the same size The recipes are the same so far, but the monsters have new designs ( and are much cuter imo).

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Nuebot posted:

It's more of the same with qol but eh, I wouldn't consider it as 'dense' as 4. Like, there's still a ton of content but you aren't always running into new stories playing out around you in town or teasing out weird secrets (that I know so far, as a caveat, not even close to done, obviously).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

HellOnEarth posted:

It also lets you grab items from a distance (like fruit up in trees).
oh my loving god that is how they wanted me to get the apples thank you

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

Nuebot posted:

The game is pretty much the same size but the postgame dungeon is much smaller.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

the jp reviews overall seem to suggest it's 4 but a little shallower

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Thanks for the replies; for some reason I hadn't even considered checking out the Japanese reviews and such. I think I'll give it a good go, since it's not like RF4's going anywhere. And if it doesn't live up to its predecessor I can hop back onto that and wait for a 5 special or something.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

oh my loving god that is how they wanted me to get the apples thank you

I watched a friend stream the very beginning and they give you a lot of generous range on interactions. You can leave through a door from pretty far away, so that's neat.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Alright. I’ve got 4. What should I know before diving in?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Saxophone posted:

marry the horse

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Saxophone posted:

Considering it's your first RF just strap in and enjoy the ride. Do all the requests from the box you can per day and don't be afraid to cancel them if you can't complete them right away as they're your tutorials. Don't be fooled by the credits screens. CRAFT. CRAFT. CRAFT.
Seriously. Crafting is incredibly important unless you're playing on easy and cooking is the gateway to infinite riches. On that note Hell difficulty is really fun but very hard if you don't understand the insane crafting system so I'd do whatever the second hardest is if you want a good challenge and don't mind figuring things out.
Animal taming is VERY strong not only for their farmed goods but also automation, fighting, riding, etc.
There's no time limits on anything so don't worry about missing things.
Everything has levels and they make you stronger overall. Including sleeping, bathing, and eating (once per day).

Spoiler for weird game mechanics and leveling that you may never realize: Consume a chemical x every night before sleeping. It gives you every single debuff which levels your resistance to said debuffs and in turn buffs various primary stats. Sleeping removes all the debuffs. Double spoiler as you can wreck game balance if you abuse this: Throw the chem x at enemies which gives THEM all those debuffs.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 24, 2022

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

marry the horse

Don't marry the twelve year old, though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rynoto posted:

Considering it's your first RF just strap in and enjoy the ride. Do all the requests from the box you can per day and don't be afraid to cancel them if you can't complete them right away as they're your tutorials. Don't be fooled by the credits screens. CRAFT. CRAFT. CRAFT.
Seriously. Crafting is incredibly important unless you're playing on easy and cooking is the gateway to infinite riches. On that note Hell difficulty is really fun but very hard if you don't understand the insane crafting system so I'd do whatever the second hardest is if you want a good challenge and don't mind figuring things out.
Animal taming is VERY strong both for their farmed goods but also automation, fighting, riding, etc.
There's no time limits on anything so don't worry about missing things.
Everything has levels and they make you stronger overall. Including sleeping, bathing, and eating (once per day).

When you run into the giant level 50 chicken early on you can absolutely cheese poo poo by throwing random things at it until you tame it which lets you run hilariously rampant over the early/mid game. And you can repeat this to bootstrap yourself into post game areas by repeatedly taming monsters way stronger than you.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I've been playing rf5 and I can't tell if the performance is better in handheld mode or if I just notice it less on the tiny screen.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Saxophone posted:

Beside a spooky mansion where you find the best characters in the game (probably) there is a tree. From this tree you get seeds.

You want to plant these trees ASAP.

I also recommend playing it mostly on hard mode and to pace yourself as far as the dungeons go. There is one puzzle dungeon in the second arc but otherwise they're just gear checks that you can breeze through if you focus on it, but then you get in a weird place where you're kind of underleveled due to missing out on your farming and such stat buffs. Also you complete things and don't have any side activities to do, suddenly.

Like in Stardew, Strawberries and Pineapples are divine money makers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
as soon as you have income, buy out the recipe bread every day. fields have hp that decreases when you grow crops, so rotate what spots you use. clear town events asap.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
get a magnifying glass and use it as upgrade ingredient to your hoe and/or scythe

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Personally, I'd recommend staying on Normal your first time though - hard mode just inflates enemy stats, which is important once you know how to game the system, but just kind of irritating otherwise, since it'll make you take longer to clear dungeons (and it's not like the game has a lack of content). For reference, it's possible to basically make endgame-quality weapons within a week or two of starting the game if you know what you're doing, and the game will be infinitely more fun your first time through if you don't do that.

Otherwise make sure you do requests as often as possible, since that's how the game gates lots of goodies and teaches you mechanics. Also, talk to people every day - the dialogue is fun. And on top of that, it's nice to pick up extra grass/medical herbs/antidote herbs and give one to everyone every day. You'll get a good bit of extra friendship for doing that, and nobody gets upset over getting those as gifts.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
The RF5 release has got me wanting to play a new anime farming game but I’m torn. 5 is off the cards because it just doesn’t look nice to me so I’m deciding between RF4 and PoOT.

I’ve actually got the 3ds version of rf4 but I never really got into it and now the thought of having to keep my ds charged all the time and stuff just for one game is annoying so I’m happy to rebuy it on switch if it’s the one for me!

I also have stardew that I could play the first year of again for the 900th time I guess…

PoOT looks fun because it seems like it’s about making a lot of machines and causing the switch to grind to a halt while rf4 seems to have a pretty solid combat system that means if I get bored of farm I can go focus on something else for a bit.

How do people feel about these two games when compared?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

LeFishy posted:

The RF5 release has got me wanting to play a new anime farming game but I’m torn. 5 is off the cards because it just doesn’t look nice to me so I’m deciding between RF4 and PoOT.

I’ve actually got the 3ds version of rf4 but I never really got into it and now the thought of having to keep my ds charged all the time and stuff just for one game is annoying so I’m happy to rebuy it on switch if it’s the one for me!

I also have stardew that I could play the first year of again for the 900th time I guess…

PoOT looks fun because it seems like it’s about making a lot of machines and causing the switch to grind to a halt while rf4 seems to have a pretty solid combat system that means if I get bored of farm I can go focus on something else for a bit.

How do people feel about these two games when compared?

RF4 blows PoOT out of the water imo. Tons more villager interaction and content on top of what I find are just better systems and you have the whole combat side of the game. You can also automate the hell out of your farming with an army of monsters which is cool as hell.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I need liquid. Where can I farm liquid? Someone find me liquid. Him name hopkin green liquid.

(no seriously I just need anything in the category "liquid", I had some Viscous Fluid or something but I forget where it came from and so I can't get more. I tried the slime mobs in the woodlands with no luck but that may have just been drop rate. I'm three dungeons in.)

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The lava dungeon and ice dungeon's boss drop are in the liquid category. Orcs and goblins can drop Glue. The Ribbit frogs can drop AND produce Viscous Fluid so these are the monsters you want to tame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Where do I find pike? This kid asked for one first day and I'm going to fish this planet to extinction before I find one.

Also I'm not really sure how wanted monsters work. The thing just said like "north forest" and I can't seem to find hide nor hair of this thing.