Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Just before Thanksgiving I experienced a bout of temporary insanity that lead me to place an order with a small company in Florida. This is the result.

For just a touch over $3000 you get a hard carrying case, four hex keys in a little plastic case, an instruction manual, an alternate recoil spring, a red fiber optic sight (not standard, had to order that on top of the gun), an extra magazine, and a Pardini GT9 6".

Pardini is best known for their fancy schmancy high end competition 22LR guns but they also produce the GT series of centerfire target pistols. The most common is the GT9 in 9mm but they also make the GT40 in .40S&W and the GT45 in .45ACP. I believe they sell conversion kits to put a different caliber slide and barrel on one frame if you're the kind of person who is both very wealthy and very cheap. There are a few color options: black, silver, and two tone black and bronze. I went with black.

Modified Browning locking system, 17+1 capacity in 9mm, single action only. I got the 6" barrel version because I love being a special snowflake but there is a 5" version which is more common. Older production examples of the guns do not have the cutouts at the front of the slide. The grips are textured wood of some sort.

Disassembly lever and slide release on the left, ambidextrous safety. Thumb button mag release on both sides. Controls are easy to reach and very smooth although the safety seemed a bit stiff until I figured out to push up with my thumb and index finger at the same time.

The two stage trigger is fully adjustable using the four hex screws on the underside of the gun near the trigger. One is a duplex screw that separately controls the length and weight of the second stage, the second controls overtravel adjustment or acts as a trigger stop. The third and fourth adjust "trigger pull length" (overall? stage 1 only?) and "regulates sear engagement" respectively but apparently should only be adjusted by qualified technicians to avoid damage or unsafe operation. Not sure where I'll find one of those!

The trigger pull is extremely nice, as you might expect.

The sights are your basic square notch and post setup, nothing fancy about them. The rear sight is adjustable for windage and height. Front sight is held in by a screw and can be replaced with a red or green fiber optic (not installed yet). I asked for a green one and they sent me red so maybe I'll end up with both. I think they sell a fiber optic rear sight too but I didn't buy one.

People say the slide feels like it's sliding on glass and they're not exaggerating. It's not completely frictionless but it's extremely smooth...like glass. The machining and finish are extremely nice.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Owns

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Testing A Thingtm for HGB

Oh now that is one fancy gun.

Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh now that is one fancy gun.

Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?

Not yet, just got it yesterday evening after it was already dark. Will definitely shoot it a bunch Saturday but might give it a go after work tonight.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

That is one fancy-looking heater.

I should make some box threads.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

That is awesome and in no way financially irresponsible.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Um hell yes

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Remember when we all used to be this impressed with a box thread for a surplus sig? We've come a long way and that new pistol is leading the pack. Outstanding purchase.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Hot drat I want to shoot that

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Oh that is nice and also pretty.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

That's awesome as hell. I'd love to shoot one. Is there any option for mounting a RDS?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Dead Reckoning posted:

That's awesome as hell. I'd love to shoot one. Is there any option for mounting a RDS?

There's a rail they sell that attaches to the top of the slide if you want to mount an optic.

I ended up being out of town all day today so I didn't get a chance to shoot it, hopefully tomorrow!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

I did not get the chance to shoot it yet as I ended up going to see some friends this weekend and it snowed a bunch so I didn't really want to do to much outside

And I'm extremely glad I didn't because I was messing with the gun and holy gently caress it is extremely unsafe! Everything works normally if you have the safety off but if you put the safety on and pull the hammer back it refuses to latch back 90% of the time and flips forwards hitting the firing pin. There's no half cock or firing pin block/disconnect, the safety only blocks the trigger and that's it. This seemed not good or normal but I guess it could be working as intended? I was trying to figure it out and messing with it some more and found if you rack the slide with the safety on the hammer doesn't lock back most of the time. When it does it will occasionally fly forward on its own after a few seconds and hit the firing pin, just like if you pulled the trigger. And since you just racked the slide presumably the chamber would have been loaded! I also found that 95% of the time racking the slide with the safety on and pulling the trigger will fire the gun! Very rarely will the safety actually prevent the trigger from releasing the hammer if you racked the slide while the safety is on. Clearly not working as intended and since the gun has a <3 pound trigger pull you kind of want a working safety.

Gonna call and chew them the gently caress out tomorrow. I either want an entirely different gun or a refund. Absolutely ridiculous for such an expensive gun. This would be embarrassing for Hi Point.

edit: Maybe I am overreacting but if that's how it's designed then they really should mention that you shouldn't engage the safety until after racking the slide, or just have the safety lock the hammer/slide.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 28, 2021

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

my kinda ape posted:

I did not get the chance to shoot it yet as I ended up going to see some friends this weekend and it snowed a bunch so I didn't really want to do to much outside

And I'm extremely glad I didn't because I was messing with the gun and holy gently caress it is extremely unsafe! Everything works normally if you have the safety off but if you put the safety on and pull the hammer back it refuses to latch back 90% of the time and flips forwards hitting the firing pin. There's no half cock or firing pin block/disconnect, the safety only blocks the trigger and that's it. This seemed not good or normal but I guess it could be working as intended? I was trying to figure it out and messing with it some more and found if you rack the slide with the safety on the hammer doesn't lock back most of the time. When it does it will occasionally fly forward on its own after a few seconds and hit the firing pin, just like if you pulled the trigger. And since you just racked the slide presumably the chamber would have been loaded! I also found that 95% of the time racking the slide with the safety on and pulling the trigger will fire the gun! Very rarely will the safety actually prevent the trigger from releasing the hammer if you racked the slide while the safety is on. Clearly not working as intended and since the gun has a <3 pound trigger pull you kind of want a working safety.

Gonna call and chew them the gently caress out tomorrow. I either want an entirely different gun or a refund. Absolutely ridiculous for such an expensive gun. This would be embarrassing for Hi Point.

edit: Maybe I am overreacting but if that's how it's designed then they really should mention that you shouldn't engage the safety until after racking the slide, or just have the safety lock the hammer/slide.

Sounds Italian to me! Curious to see how this gets resolved. Seems like a really neat pistol otherwise.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Why the gently caress haven't I heard of these before?

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Why the gently caress haven't I heard of these before?

Sounds like you never watched the best obscure/esoteric handgun Youtube channel. Shame that he stopped posting videos.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Sounds like you never watched the best obscure/esoteric handgun Youtube channel. Shame that he stopped posting videos.

Yeah he's kind of what inspired me to get one. I found his channel and his taste seems extremely similar to mine so when he compared the Pardini to the Benelli B77, which has by far my favorite handfeel of any gun I own, I was like ok I gotta get one of those.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Shame that he stopped posting videos.

Hasn't posted on Something Awful in almost as long. Hope something terrible didn't happen.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

I have become more calm about the safety situation after fondling the gun for several hours last night and playing with the trigger adjustments using a guide posted on another forum by sometimes TFR poster Yuns. Thanks Yuns!

I called Pardini and the nice lady who has helped me a couple times before said she'd have the guy who knows about the function of the guns call me back when he is available. I'm kind of hoping that it's supposed to lock the hammer when the safety is on (which would lock the slide) and that's just not happening for some reason, but if it is working as designed then I guess it's easy enough to remember not to cock it with the safety on. Although if that is the case they should definitely mention that somewhere before it causes someone to have a horrible accident!

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Anyone remember in “Angels & Demons” (the book) where the Vatican security dudes carried “Cherchi-Pardini” pistols?

Anyone?

:crickets:

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

my kinda ape posted:

I'm kind of hoping that it's supposed to lock the hammer when the safety is on (which would lock the slide) and that's just not happening for some reason, but if it is working as designed then I guess it's easy enough to remember not to cock it with the safety on. Although if that is the case they should definitely mention that somewhere before it causes someone to have a horrible accident!

It's SAO, right? I'm kinda surprised the safety even moves if the hammer isn't cocked. Most guns that are SAO by design (not converted after the fact) have safeties that won't move until you cock the hammer, like the 1911, Hi-Power, CZ Tactical Sports line, Colt Mustang/Sig P938/Springfield 911.That'd make a little more sense in this case, but from what you're saying the safety was meant to be actuateable regardless of the hammer/action condition.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

infrared35 posted:

Anyone remember in “Angels & Demons” (the book) where the Vatican security dudes carried “Cherchi-Pardini” pistols?

Anyone?

:crickets:

Half of my family is hardline evangelical conservatives.

So, yes.

(Apparently gifting me the books on three separate occasions would make me put down my devil worship Stephen King and Clive Barker. It didn’t.)

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Your fundie family were giving you Dan Brown novels? Did they actually read them?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Somebody Awful posted:

Your fundie family were giving you Dan Brown novels? Did they actually read them?

God no. They only read books written by grinning televangelists either about -

- Getting Rich through pyramid schemes
- Getting slim through things like breathing exercises

That is not an exaggeration.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

It's SAO, right? I'm kinda surprised the safety even moves if the hammer isn't cocked. Most guns that are SAO by design (not converted after the fact) have safeties that won't move until you cock the hammer, like the 1911, Hi-Power, CZ Tactical Sports line, Colt Mustang/Sig P938/Springfield 911.That'd make a little more sense in this case, but from what you're saying the safety was meant to be actuateable regardless of the hammer/action condition.

Yes it is SAO. Frankly I have no idea how it's meant to be as I've never seen another one of these in person and there's not a ton of videos or other info on them. I just assumed if I can leave on the safety and rack the slide or pull back the hammer that it should you know, function, but either because of poor design or something not functioning correctly that is not the case. If a gun doesn't let me do something in a certain condition that's fine and dandy but it seems totally bonkers to me to allow you to turn on the safety and have it be nonfunctional under certain conditions. It's even more bonkers to me that they would design it that way and have no warning whatsoever since doing so can apparently cause the gun to go off all by itself on occasion.

The manual does say that the safety should lock the slide although there is no mechanism to do so so that's either or a misprint or the hammer is *supposed* to lock in the lowered position which would keep the slide from moving.

Like I said hopefully Pardini gets back to me tomorrow and will tell me what the deal is.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

my kinda ape posted:

Like I said hopefully Pardini gets back to me tomorrow and will tell me what the deal is.
Did you get a reply from Pardini about this?

I have a GT9 myself and I've never thought about this, but testing it you're right, with the hammer down and safety on, the slide can go back but the hammer doesn't lock and will ride back down when the slide goes forward, however it never seems to hit the firing pin hard enough that it will protrude from the bolt face.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

If I ever get rich, I'll probably expand into collecting obscure pistols like this one, Benelli B76, Korth, etc. Because why the gently caress not.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Did you get a reply from Pardini about this?

I have a GT9 myself and I've never thought about this, but testing it you're right, with the hammer down and safety on, the slide can go back but the hammer doesn't lock and will ride back down when the slide goes forward, however it never seems to hit the firing pin hard enough that it will protrude from the bolt face.

Can you duplicate this with the slide off? Can you feel or hear the sear reset?

I have a CZ75B converted to SAO that started doing something weird once I adjusted the sear correctly: the safety now goes on with the hammer down and the hammer follows the slide if racked in this condition. Upon taking it apart and borrowing a hand from someone, I found that the sear was not resetting through this operation (which is exactly how that's supposed to work). Looking at it, the firing pin block would have engaged too, if it was still in the gun. The only adjustment on that sear is to allow the safety to engage in regular use, due to changed geometry of the hammer/sear interface. That thing is definitely a range queen, but at least I know it won't go off without pulling the trigger or dropping it on the hammer.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

My soup has malfunctioned?

poo poo, didn’t see this thread until now, but

I do hope that you get it sorted, though. That’s a lot of cash to have poo poo potentially not working right.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Whoops I talked about this in Discord but forgot to post in here too.

The guy in charge at PardiniUSA was sure it was because the sear engagement was set wrong despite me adjusting it every possible way. He offered to send me a shipping label so I could send it in so he could take a look at it which I said i would do, but before that he had emailed Pardini homeworld to ask if they had any advice. They responded and said that the gun is working as designed and that you just shouldn't turn the safety on unless you've already cocked the hammer. PardiniUSA guy apologized for not knowing that.

So I guess there's nothing mechanically wrong with it. I think that's really poor design and at the very least deserves a warning in the manual but it's easy enough to work with if you know about it.

I still haven't shot it yet because it has been really, really snowy here and also extremely cold now and there's newborn beef calves on my place now that I don't want to scare by just blasting away in my back yard. Soon! Hopefully.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

my kinda ape posted:

Whoops I talked about this in Discord but forgot to post in here too.

The guy in charge at PardiniUSA was sure it was because the sear engagement was set wrong despite me adjusting it every possible way. He offered to send me a shipping label so I could send it in so he could take a look at it which I said i would do, but before that he had emailed Pardini homeworld to ask if they had any advice. They responded and said that the gun is working as designed and that you just shouldn't turn the safety on unless you've already cocked the hammer. PardiniUSA guy apologized for not knowing that.

So I guess there's nothing mechanically wrong with it. I think that's really poor design and at the very least deserves a warning in the manual but it's easy enough to work with if you know about it.

I still haven't shot it yet because it has been really, really snowy here and also extremely cold now and there's newborn beef calves on my place now that I don't want to scare by just blasting away in my back yard. Soon! Hopefully.

That’s an annoying design feature, but it’s somewhat understandable on a competitive type gun. I mean, hell Walther eventually stopped making their GSPs with safeties.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Problematic Soup posted:

That’s an annoying design feature, but it’s somewhat understandable on a competitive type gun. I mean, hell Walther eventually stopped making their GSPs with safeties.

I don't really mind having to cock the hammer before putting the safety on but the fact that there's an undocumented and easy to achieve condition where the gun can fire with the safety on (even without pulling the trigger occasionally!) seems more dangerous than annoying IMO.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

Fair point about dangerous.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

How do you say "functionally irresponsible" in Italian?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I just had an epiphany: the internet is useless!

Ultra Carp

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Thanks for the link! I'm watching my way through these.

Also, Nice gun OP

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I just had an epiphany: the internet is useless!

Ultra Carp

my kinda ape posted:

I don't really mind having to cock the hammer before putting the safety on but the fact that there's an undocumented and easy to achieve condition where the gun can fire with the safety on (even without pulling the trigger occasionally!) seems more dangerous than annoying IMO.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

Can you duplicate this with the slide off? Can you feel or hear the sear reset?
On mine the sear doesn't engage at all if you attempt to cock the hammer with the safety on. You can pull it back, but it will fall again as soon as you let go of it. There's not a hint of a sound that suggests the sear is attempting to engage.

And I confirmed (with an empty, primed case) that the gun will fire if you pull the hammer back and release it even when the safety is on.

Edit: I called a friend who also has a GT9 and his does lock the hammer back when the safety is on, so it may be a simple case of having to adjust the sear.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 15, 2021

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Collateral Damage posted:

On mine the sear doesn't engage at all if you attempt to cock the hammer with the safety on. You can pull it back, but it will fall again as soon as you let go of it. There's not a hint of a sound that suggests the sear is attempting to engage.

And I confirmed (with an empty, primed case) that the gun will fire if you pull the hammer back and release it even when the safety is on.

Edit: I called a friend who also has a GT9 and his does lock the hammer back when the safety is on, so it may be a simple case of having to adjust the sear.

From the factory mine would often lock back by thumbing the hammer back with the safety on but after adjusting the sear it no longer does that. However it still does it when I turn the safety on and rack the slide (or at least about 50% of the time). No amount of seat adjustment has changed this at all and Pardini claims this is normal.

Try turning your safety on and racking the slide 10x. Does the hammer ever lock back? If so does it release the hammer when you pull the trigger immediately after without turning the safety off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

my kinda ape posted:

Try turning your safety on and racking the slide 10x. Does the hammer ever lock back? If so does it release the hammer when you pull the trigger immediately after without turning the safety off?
Nope, nothing I do can convince the hammer to stay cocked when the safety is on.