Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

Egypt: Old Kingdom is a fairly unique mix of resource/empire management and builder elements. It's a 2019 title from Clarus Victoria, sequel to the previous Predynastic Egypt. They've also produced Bronze Age, Marble Age, and possibly others I'm not aware of. There is a lot of good history here, along some that is a bit confused, but clearly a real effort was made; the developers cared a lot about the history they were presenting.

Historic Perspectives Saga

This LP will be running alongside Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom in the current phase of focusing on the early ancient empires. Previously I delved into the prehistoric citybuilder Dawn of Man as well to begin the journey; that one is available on the Archives.

LP Style

Video with historical asides as they are deemed useful and appropriate. One per week typically, alternating at times between Egypt and China.

LP Settings

Using the historical options here of course, which makes for a rather strange mix of rigidly linear and RNG elements. There are some rather fantastical other options in the game for people who prefer something more open, including a Sandbox choice. This is also means that unlike Emperor, this will not be a challenge run. The RNG can throw things off enough that the hardest settings are quite difficult and arguably require a fair amount of luck.

Old Kingdom Annals

Contested Migration to Indu-Hedj (30:23)
Conflict (23:56)
Sharing Our 'Culture' (25:35)
Chiefdoms and the 'Scorpion King' (23:05)
Memphis Stands United (21:47)
Expanding Horizons (24:30)
Third Trial; A First King? (24:46)
The Dynastic Era Dawns (23:17)
Building the Future (20:20)
The First Dynasty Continues (27:55)
Royal Crisis: The Fourth Trial (27:02)
The Second Dynasty; An Uneasy Transition (26:24)
Civil War (22:47)
Respite & Recovery (27:25)
The Third Dynasty (16:30)
The Sixth Trial; The Great Age of Pyramids Begins (24:55)
Grandeur of Giza (18:13)
Mysteries of Giza & the Great Pyramids: A Reasoned Perspective (49:00)
The Fifth Dynasty: Decentralization (29:27)
The Seventh Trial: Reform Controversy (32:36)
Crumbling from Within: the Sixth Dynasty (17:45)
Conclusion: the First Intermediate Period (36:50)

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

:siren:
Contested Migration to Indu-Hedj (30:23)

RNG actually bites pretty hard as we get started here, forcing me to take the military option more aggressively than I would have preferred. It'll be interesting to see how much this slow start hurts economic development as events proceed further. It'll become more clear why this choice was necessary in the next episode, as we will be facing our first military action.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 23, 2021

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I have this game, it is interesting, fun, and BRUTAL at times.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I got through Predynastic and thought it was an interesting enough game, though not compelling enough to play it again for maximum points or go through the sequel. Glad to see you taking it on, though!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

HIerakonpolis sounds exceedingly Egyptian, doesn't it? The Ancient Egyptian name is apparently known, it was named Nekhen. Does this mean we'll stick around for the hellenistic era?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

SIGSEGV posted:

HIerakonpolis sounds exceedingly Egyptian, doesn't it? The Ancient Egyptian name is apparently known, it was named Nekhen. Does this mean we'll stick around for the hellenistic era?

I was thinking that name didn't quite seem to fit the theme. Bloody Greeks, renaming things!

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

AtomikKrab posted:

I have this game, it is interesting, fun, and BRUTAL at times.

Agree. What's that, you're not ready for this next trial you didn't know was coming? Well isn't that too bad, sucks to be you. That's sort of the way history works too of course, but it can be rough.

SIGSEGV posted:

The ending point to the game is before that, end of the old kingdom, First Intermediate Period.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Then it's a really odd name choice. By the way, does the game get seriously into getting your copper and other metals to alloy into it or is it abstracted away?

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 23, 2021

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Abstracted away. A place with limestone or copper will have more production when worked, a place with gold or ivory will have more luxury goods.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

This is under $4 on GOG right now if anyone wants to play along.

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal

Veloxyll posted:

I was thinking that name didn't quite seem to fit the theme. Bloody Greeks, renaming things!

Several of the Gods that have been mentioned so far are using their Hellenized names as well. Horus should be Heru and Osiris Wesir. (And, since I can't imagine they'll be any different, Isis should be Aset, Anubis Anpu, and Thoth Djehuty)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Unreal_One posted:

This is under $4 on GOG right now if anyone wants to play along.

ooo.

Iamyourking posted:

Several of the Gods that have been mentioned so far are using their Hellenized names as well. Horus should be Heru and Osiris Wesir. (And, since I can't imagine they'll be any different, Isis should be Aset, Anubis Anpu, and Thoth Djehuty)

(We've already, in fact, encountered Thoth on the research screen)

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

The Memphis thing made it pretty clear to me they were using more recognizable names. I'm operating under the assumption it was a design choice made for accessibility reasons, which ... IMO is understandable.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Conflict (23:56)

We move out of the neolithic stage into early metallurgy, and get our first taste of the combat minigame against the Baboon tribe. There is yet much work to be done in order to unite the Memphis area under one society/culture, and it is is abundantly clear that much of this work will not be accomplished peacefully.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm rather amused that fields appeared only after the second wave of barracks. There's a certain clash between the pleasant art style and the focus on developing and using the military there.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Don't neglect your military in this game or pretty much else.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Oh, I suspect it's one of what I suspect to be the three actually important resources, military, religion points and science points.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I definitely would have preferred to have a few fields up first, to be sure. Would have been a better start and more thematically appropriate, but ... there are things you can control, and things you can't, as they say. More fields and population will remain a high priority going forward.

mithrasoflego
Dec 30, 2017
Actually food, production and luxuries become pretty important later on because they are needed in vast quantities to build and maintain pyramids which you have to build to keep up with the death rate of pharaohs.

The good thing is you can build pretty cheap but you miss out on *checks notes* those delicious bonuses to culture (science) and religion points.

Also you have to pay a certain premium to build actual pyramids rather than tomb complexes and step pyramids so that's important too.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Pyramids are an massive weight on your economy, kind of like how it was for egypt in real life.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

why is this thread a shitpost?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Regallion posted:

why is this thread a shitpost?

Obligatory self-deprecation; all my LPs are shitposts. You should know that by now.

Actual answer: I didn't choose any tag because I couldn't decide which one to use, and the forums picked that one for me. I need to have a mod change it, and forgot to ask.

mithrasoflego posted:

The good thing is you can build pretty cheap but you miss out on *checks notes* those delicious bonuses to culture (science) and religion points.

Also you have to pay a certain premium to build actual pyramids rather than tomb complexes and step pyramids so that's important too.

Yep. I've only ever built the cheapest ones; I want to try to have something at least decent, but the slow start isn't doing that goal any favors. We'll see what I have built up by the time I get there. The current barracks and cemetery should be enough for a while, so I'm hoping for an escalating growth curve at this point

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Strategic Sage posted:

Obligatory self-deprecation; all my LPs are shitposts. You should know that by now.

Actual answer: I didn't choose any tag because I couldn't decide which one to use, and the forums picked that one for me. I need to have a mod change it, and forgot to ask.

Do a deep-lore video on farming in the Nile valley instead, especially how important was the regular flooding of the river for providing nutrients for agriculture. Compare to other methods in per-industrial cultures for enriching the soil, like animal manure.

Ultimate effort shitpost.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I just noticed that the game is currently on sale on Steam! Picked it up myself, looks really interesting.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Picked it up as well, I wonder how well it is sanitized since I remember the Egyptians having a number of interesting beliefs, and I deeply feel the hole made by a lack of a Mesopotamian equivalent, if only to see if devs would spell hierogamy straight and with dignity or waffle about with half said things.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Thanks to the awesome powers of Sally, this thread is no longer labeled as a poo poo post. Whether or not it actually is one, is an exercise left to the reader/viewer :).

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
I was actually thinking of using this game as a bridge between my bigger LPs. How dare you <:mad:>

I may have missed it, but did you plan on showing off the alien/zombie mummy modes?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

I was actually thinking of using this game as a bridge between my bigger LPs. How dare you <:mad:>

I may have missed it, but did you plan on showing off the alien/zombie mummy modes?

Just do this but with Alien/mummy blackjack and hookers.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Falconier posted:

I was actually thinking of using this game as a bridge between my bigger LPs. How dare you <>

So ... do it anyway? :)

I don't plan doing the alien/mummy stuff; this project is focused on history and as such that would be out of place. They will remain untouched for you to initiate if you feel like it.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Sharing Our 'Culture' (25:35)

The necessity of the military is seen again in our first trial, in which traditionalist tribes force a confrontation unless you happen to have a strong economy with which to purchase their cooperation. We're still a little behind the curve but growing much better now, and have our first big construction project to work towards; Ptah must have a Temple to symbolize the unity of Memphis under one banner. Before that however, we will be heading back to China for the next couple of weeks.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Since you don't appear to know, and really you shouldn't because it's counter intuitive and probably a bug, despite the red line of text telling you that a blessing is already in effect, you can double up, triple up on the Seth blessing once a round, so long as it is only once a round, and the shields stack up normally, it might be counter productive when you look at further technologies which reduce worship cost linearly, leading to you having paid more for the privilege of not checking that drat counter once a round.

I find that blessing mechanism really annoying, personally.

On the not a bug front: that flat terrain modifier for houses can get upgraded (at least in one of the more construction modes) and provides a +50% housing bonus, and I can't get enough of it.

On the probably a bug front, regions can get negative population, which is a little, yeah, I'm getting it pretty often too, I hate it. Putting a worker on them literally makes them produce negative resources, it's amazing.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

SIGSEGV posted:

you can double up, triple up on the Seth blessing once a round, so long as it is only once a round, and the shields stack up normally, it might be counter productive when you look at further technologies which reduce worship cost linearly, leading to you having paid more for the privilege of not checking that drat counter once a round.

I hadn't tried that, but I don't think I will either. On the spoilered part, that's strange as I've been through that part of the game a few times but either it didn't happen to me or I didn't pay enough attention to notice?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Chiefdoms and the 'Scorpion King' (23:05)

Our second trial shows up - this one we got lucky on - and we're moving closer towards unification and an Egyptian state. Locally we aren't yet ready to build a Temple yet, but we are growing - mostly by absorbing other tribes in the area by conquest, but growing is still growing.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Now, now, we'll soon be moving into more solid pharaohs we're more sure actually existed, the next one apparently existed enough for two people.

Those dark ages are always a pain in the behind, you know there's stuff happening, the situation going in and going out is radically different, and yet the best you can say is that there may have been an entity called, perhaps, so and so, that did such and such, because now people moved from the highlands to the lowlands and started building dry masonry walls to shoulder up hillside terrain and create flatter surfaces to work on, the material culture changed, pottery is not decorated the same way, ingots don't have the same shape. Also they went from one state to many, or from many to one.

At least this one isn't as frustrating as the late bronze age Greek dark age, maybe they forgot how to write, since they didn't have the organizations that required that anymore? (Since we only really found accounting and a little justice in writing, we know the name of people through IOUs and taxes due, but not the names of kings.) Or maybe during that period they started using less preservable writing support, and also started cribbing from the Phoenician alphabet, not like that was a bad decision.

That's a long time from now from the perspective of Scorpions I and II, though.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Now. I'm not saying that Scorpion was really aliens. But....

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

SIGSEGV posted:

Those dark ages are always a pain in the behind, you know there's stuff happening, the situation going in and going out is radically different, and yet the best you can say is that there may have been an entity called, perhaps, so and so, that did such and such, because now people moved from the highlands to the lowlands and started building dry masonry walls to shoulder up hillside terrain and create flatter surfaces to work on, the material culture changed, pottery is not decorated the same way, ingots don't have the same shape

Well put :). We're almost into the time period where people were able to write things down in a way we can understand clearly, which doesn't answer all the questions but it definitely makes thing clearer. I don't know much about Bronze Age Greece aside from that it was a really big confusing mess.

Slaan posted:

Now. I'm not saying that Scorpion was really aliens. But....

The aliens only showed up in Egypt to build the pyramids. Get it right :P

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Bronze age Greece was a big mess but also a bit generic brand, you have accountants and slavery, kings and tombs, gods and (some human) sacrifices (including a few we don't hear that much of later, although for many that's just odd later readings of what gods were worshiped there, for example despite Artemis being a nominal patron deity of Sparta, there's pretty solid evidence that that's just other greeks overlaying that name on another local potnia theron and the syncretism itself happening later for the sanctuaries, but that's what you get with polytheism that's pretty fluid, hello Zagreus), you don't get fun things like Hierogamy in Mesopotamia, or warriors washing their teeth with their own piss to scare their enemies in battle, like among the Celts (with really is a generic brand term if there was one, now that more digging and research is being done).

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Why would people be scared you washed your teeth with piss, exactly ? Walk me through that moon logic.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Because while I imagine it's not particularly pleasant in any way to be against that guy in an infantry or chariotry battle, it might be a bit destabilizing when you have to walk up to the guy and bellow a challenge in his face and have one bellowed back for more ritualized duels, if you weren't also doing it. Maybe it was more about scaring the little people, maybe it was just weird poo poo societies do, those don't really have to make sense in their present form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

It seems to me that people did all kinds of strange things. There's the whole painting yourself in various patterns of colors - we still do that, *cough* Super Bowl *cough* modern futbol match *cough*. Screaming and going into battle naked ... I sometimes get the impression that in some cultures it was basically 'what's the most freakazoid bizarro thing they wouldn't expect? Ok, let's all do that'.