Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

https://twitter.com/BWDR/status/1356128179593773060

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Mr. Kurtz posted:

I think a lot of people call musicals those works that feature a bunch of non-diegetic numbers, but you also have movies like Cabaret where all the numbers are diegetic and that sure seems like a musical to me.

I'd also suggest Show Boat as required watching in that it sets the discourse for "what a musical is" which Rodgers-Hammerstein would later perfect in the 50s.

This is also where you get the division between the integrated musical and the backstage musical. A lot of film musicals that feature diagetic music are backstage musicals, which are very much so in the vein of more classical pre-Oklahoma-style musicals - a story about people who are also performers, who then perform the songs diagetically. Often they don't use the music to progress the story, instead using them to comment obliquely on the plot, or are just thematically related. Nashville, True Stories, Phantom of the Paradise, etc etc.

Interestingly, the stage version of Cabaret also features a number of non-diagetic numbers, which were all cut from the film, but most of them are written in the style of song that would be actually performed at the Kit Kat Klub, thus merging the two worlds and highlighting the fact that there's no hiding from fascism. Kander and Ebb really liked this style - Zorba, 70, Girls 70, Chicago, The Act, and The Scottsboro Boys (which, holy poo poo) all have this conceit as well to some degree.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

That's a really good list (only ones I've seen). Phantom of the Paradise is one my favorite movies, period.

I didn't see any mention of Purple Rain (even though you mentioned Sign of the Times) or Eddie and the Cruisers, unless I missed them. Is something like that not considered a "musical", like in the vein of A Star s Born?

Excellent OP btw.

My general rule for musicals is that the musical numbers have to drive some of the plot/dialogue in some way as opposed to being an aside to a musical number. The issue with Purple Rain is that the music is only performed in concerts in the movie, and isn't really part of the dialogue. You get one montage to a song and otherwise, even though songs like Beautiful Ones adjusted character motivations and stuff.

The pseudo sequel, Graffiti Bridge, does go into musical territory, though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Darko posted:

The pseudo sequel, Graffiti Bridge, does go into musical territory, though.

I pretend that doesn't exist.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I pretend that doesn't exist.

Theives in the Temple is a great song.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Darko posted:

Theives in the Temple is a great song.

So are The Question of U and Joy in Repetition.

I meant the movie.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence
It's certainly a guilty pleasure, but I enjoy getting high and watching Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

I saw it in theaters during it's original release as a kid and really liked the BeeGees/Frampton Beatles covers. Paul Nicholas nails the few songs that he's in.

Speaking of Paul Nicholas, he's awesome as Cousin Kevin in Tommy. Another great movie to watch while high. Ann Margaret covered in baked beans? Yes please.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

JeffLeonard posted:

Speaking of Paul Nicholas, he's awesome as Cousin Kevin in Tommy. Another great movie to watch while high. Ann Margaret covered in baked beans? Yes please.

I usually just watch Elton John's part.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

BiggerBoat posted:

I usually just watch Elton John's part.

The Pinball Wizard is a fantastic sequence.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The Les Mis movie has several great to good performances, even Crowe, wasted by godawful direction. Stop shoving the camera in your actors' faces, Hooper! Just because it worked for I Dreamed a Dream doesn't mean it works for every song!

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I have big crossover between Sound of Music and Cabaret. I know it is not true but it was true in my mind for enough of my life that I still see the Von Trapps escaping across the Alps as Nazis celebrate singing "The Future Belongs to Me"

I'm bad at pop culture in general. So occasionally I'll combine things in ways that make sense to me but nobody else. Like, I confused Adrian Brody with Roberto Benigni. He's young, got an Oscar for Life is Beautiful. Of course he moved to Hollywood where there is real money: so what if he can't act in English?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I’m watching the Sinatra guys and dolls for the first time, and less seems to have the most background extras of any musical I’ve ever seen. Tremendous amount of people behind the main characters in any single street scene.

I also saw a funny face, which is lousy except for the amazing dancing and wild costumes. There’s just not enough for the characters to do.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I watched West Side Story for the first time yesterday. It's streaming on Amazon Prime for a few more days, if anyone else wants to watch it.

I really loved it. The colors, the cinematography and the choreography were amazing. The film gets pretty absurd after the double deaths after Intermission--I didn't know there was murder in WSS, despite knowing it's a loose Romeo & Juliet retelling--especially with the Be Cool song, which I knew of but didn't have the full context. I didn't expect it to continue to go even darker, like the song where the Jets assault Anita.

I haven't seen the musical performed ever, so this is my first exposure to it. I know that Spielberg is working on a new adaptation to come out in December. And while it can't be as colorful as this, and while I haven't been impressed with the last few Spielberg films, I'm interesting in a new film with less brown-face. I'm especially interested in how he approaches the cinematography.

I watched West Side Story cuz I'm trying to go down a Sondheim rabbit hole. I've seen Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd, and I've seen the 1982 filming of the 1979 production with Angela Lansbury and George Hearn, and I've seen Original Cast Album: Company. Is there a good resource for watching more filmed performances of his works? I checked Kanopy, which doesn't have any of his that I can tell. Hoopla has the 1993 TV adaptation of Gypsy with Bette Midler, and the 2015 stage production from the Savoy Theatre with Imelda Staunton. Hoopla also has the 1991 Into The Woods from American Playhouse.

Where can I find others? I really want to see a performance of Assassins, which apparently got a new performance which was streamed in April, but I can't find that easily. Are any other film adaptations of his plays worth watching?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I watched West Side Story cuz I'm trying to go down a Sondheim rabbit hole. I've seen Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd, and I've seen the 1982 filming of the 1979 production with Angela Lansbury and George Hearn, and I've seen Original Cast Album: Company. Is there a good resource for watching more filmed performances of his works? I checked Kanopy, which doesn't have any of his that I can tell. Hoopla has the 1993 TV adaptation of Gypsy with Bette Midler, and the 2015 stage production from the Savoy Theatre with Imelda Staunton. Hoopla also has the 1991 Into The Woods from American Playhouse.

Where can I find others? I really want to see a performance of Assassins, which apparently got a new performance which was streamed in April, but I can't find that easily. Are any other film adaptations of his plays worth watching?
The 2006 Revival of Company with Raul Esparza is up on Youtube. I actually prefer this version a lot more than the original cast. There is a VHS or Beta, not sure, version of Assassins from 2004 floating around that is incredibly low quality which is a shame because I saw that production live and it was great. But in general, youtube is the answer.

I think A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum is worth watching. Also, you probably saw it, but in any case that you did sleep on it, A Marriage Story very much wears its inspirations from Company on its sleeve including doing two full music numbers from it. One of which is loving gutting.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

The 2006 Revival of Company with Raul Esparza is up on Youtube. I actually prefer this version a lot more than the original cast. There is a VHS or Beta, not sure, version of Assassins from 2004 floating around that is incredibly low quality which is a shame because I saw that production live and it was great. But in general, youtube is the answer.

I think A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum is worth watching. Also, you probably saw it, but in any case that you did sleep on it, A Marriage Story very much wears its inspirations from Company on its sleeve including doing two full music numbers from it. One of which is loving gutting.

Awesome. Thanks for the link to Company. I searched YouTube, but it's a crapshoot on quality, or if the production is "good" or "bad".

Glad to hear A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum is also good. I'd had it recommended to me by people that aren't into musicals, sold as a comedy, and I never got around to it.

I have not seen A Marriage Story yet, but I'll check it out after I watch Company.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

VinylonUnderground posted:

I have big crossover between Sound of Music and Cabaret. I know it is not true but it was true in my mind for enough of my life that I still see the Von Trapps escaping across the Alps as Nazis celebrate singing "The Future Belongs to Me"

https://youtu.be/4RQzquKKveY

Now I kind of want to see a musical where Nazis saying Alice Cooper songs.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Franchescanado posted:

Sondheim on film is a little tough, often your best best is to watch the proshot recordings of the theatrical versions, such as the original cast tapings of Pacific Overtures, the '82 Lansbury/Hearn Sweeney Todd taping, Sunday in the Park with George, Into the Woods, and Passion, not to mention Evening Primrose and A Little Night Music (a passable version by the New York city opera). IMHO the Neil Patrick Harris version of Company is superior to Esparza's, it does a better job at managing Furth's kinda lousy book and the orchestrations are stunning.

Beyond that, getting used to bootlegs is necessary, but also invaluable. The aforementioned bootleg of Assassins isn't the best quality, but it has subtitles. The Bernadette Peters revival of Night Music was pretty widely praised. The Cerveris/Lupone Sweeney is fantastic. The OBC of Merrily is a mess, both in terms of video and content quality. There are others out there, as well - if you can find it, the Nathan Lane revival of Forum is loving hysterical.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

I watched West Side Story for the first time yesterday. It's streaming on Amazon Prime for a few more days, if anyone else wants to watch it.

I really loved it. The colors, the cinematography and the choreography were amazing. The film gets pretty absurd after the double deaths after Intermission--I didn't know there was murder in WSS, despite knowing it's a loose Romeo & Juliet retelling--especially with the Be Cool song, which I knew of but didn't have the full context. I didn't expect it to continue to go even darker, like the song where the Jets assault Anita.

I haven't seen the musical performed ever, so this is my first exposure to it. I know that Spielberg is working on a new adaptation to come out in December. And while it can't be as colorful as this, and while I haven't been impressed with the last few Spielberg films, I'm interesting in a new film with less brown-face. I'm especially interested in how he approaches the cinematography.

Look at the trailer for Spielberg's - it looks very interesting with Kaminski really playing with lighting/sets shadows.

In the Heights already handled the overly colorful New York Latin based musical for the year.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Look at the trailer for Spielberg's - it looks very interesting with Kaminski really playing with lighting/sets shadows.

In the Heights already handled the overly colorful New York Latin based musical for the year.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Sondheim on film is a little tough, often your best best is to watch the proshot recordings of the theatrical versions, such as the original cast tapings of Pacific Overtures, the '82 Lansbury/Hearn Sweeney Todd taping, Sunday in the Park with George, Into the Woods, and Passion, not to mention Evening Primrose and A Little Night Music (a passable version by the New York city opera). IMHO the Neil Patrick Harris version of Company is superior to Esparza's, it does a better job at managing Furth's kinda lousy book and the orchestrations are stunning.

Beyond that, getting used to bootlegs is necessary, but also invaluable. The aforementioned bootleg of Assassins isn't the best quality, but it has subtitles. The Bernadette Peters revival of Night Music was pretty widely praised. The Cerveris/Lupone Sweeney is fantastic. The OBC of Merrily is a mess, both in terms of video and content quality. There are others out there, as well - if you can find it, the Nathan Lane revival of Forum is loving hysterical.

This rules. Thank you very much for going through the trouble of linking these for me!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
While we're sharing Sondheim footage, I really, really wish there was a Sunday in the Park with George film in the 80s with Patinkin. It's not my favorite Sondheim play, but this song sang by Patinkin has always been so haunting for me.

In more happy news, there is a film version of Follies coming. It's being directed by Dominic Cooke who's more of a theater person but apparently made a decent spy thriller released last year called The Courier that I never heard of.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I don't know if it got taken down but there was a bootleg recording of either the preview or the actual premiere for Sweeney Todd kicking around YouTube last year. As in 1979, all original cast, especially Len Cariou as Todd.

The picture isn't amazing (either because it was just a really dimly lit show or due to the camera used) but the sound is actually really drat good. I'll try and see if I can find it again

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Oh yes, that would be this video, which gives you not only Cariou but a slightly less worn-out Lansbury, who had been doing the show for a few years by the time it was properly filmed in Los Angeles.

Franchescanado posted:

This rules. Thank you very much for going through the trouble of linking these for me!

No problem! Musicals rule my life.

Another addition: the 1972 TV film of Charles Strouse's Applause, a musical adaptation of All About Eve featuring none other than Lauren Bacall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jxa9cofVFM

It's beautifully dated, which is part of why it's never recieved a proper revival, but Bacall is fantastic (she was in two Broadway musicals, and she won Best Actress for both*) and imho it's a much better musical than Strouse's other two big hits, Bye Bye Birdie and Annie.

*The other is Kander and Ebb's Woman of the Year, which is one of their lesser works, but does contain one of the most famous show-stoppers of all time (which also won Marilyn Cooper, the other woman in this scene, who doesn't appear anywhere else in the show, a Tony for supporting actress). It's not a great song but it's amazing hearing the audience lose their minds in this clip.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Watching blue Hawaii. It’s an Elvis as a punk movie, Beautiful, popcorn, and the jokes are pretty OK.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Magic Hate Ball posted:

IMHO the Neil Patrick Harris version of Company is superior to Esparza's, it does a better job at managing Furth's kinda lousy book and the orchestrations are stunning.

Heresy. The actors weren't even able to rehearse together and it shows.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Prince Myshkin posted:

Heresy. The actors weren't even able to rehearse together and it shows.

I think it's just the sitcom tone that works for me, as opposed to Doyle's drearier interpretation. The Harris version is less polished, because it was a limited event, as opposed to a Broadway production god knows how many performances in, but I just think the zippy humor and the vaudeville songs have more impact together. It would be lovely if they could also film the more recent West End to Broadway transfer once it re-opens, because apparently it's fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFhfm8U4T3o

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Electronico6 posted:

Rangeela by Ram Gopal Varma
Om Shanti Om by Farah Khan
Dil Se by Mani Ratnam
Golden Eighties by Chantal Akerman

i watched these and they were all incredible, Om Shanti Om is my favorite of the bunch and i watched a bunch of bollywood after this. Ram Leela would be a good fit for the thread, super pretty and colorful adaptaion of romeo and juliet. Lots of guns too.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I do not know why I watched it but decided to check out Prom on netflix. I had not read the backlash on it beforehand but wowww was Corden portrayl of a gay man offensive. Also the musical decided to sideline the lesbian couple, cut short one of their songs and make the focus of the film Cordens character. Just awful

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Some of you may know Soleil Ô, a ground-breaking documentary about the experience of African emigrants living in Paris. Less well-known is the fact that its director, Mauritian-born Med Hondo, later made what I can only describe as a Brechtian, Marxist musical charting the colonial history of the West Indies. Appropriately called West Indies, the film covers the period from the French conquest of the islands in the early 17th century up to the present day, frequently shifting time spans, sometimes in single, uninterrupted camera movements. (The elaborately choreographed long takes are a real gem.)

What makes the film so interesting for this thread is the way it incorporates and reconfigures musical elements. Unlike the Hollywood approach, which clearly delineates song-and-dance numbers from the rest of the plot, Hondo integrates the music much more fluidly into the overall structure, to the point where it’s often unclear when the theatrical numbers begin or end. Even the dialogue scenes employ a kind of rhythm that gives them a lyrical quality. Equally fascinating is the way Hondo mixes different styles of music to show us when we’re listening to the oppressors and when to the oppressed instead. As he put it himself: "I wanted to free the very concept of musical comedy from its American trademark. I wanted to show that each people on earth has its own musical comedy, its own musical tragedy and its own thought shaped through its own history."

The Brechtian elements are apparent from the very beginning, when a tracking shot leads us through a factory building to the slave ship sitting in its centre, which becomes our stage for the next two hours. Actors talking directly to the camera, documentary-style voice-overs, and the minimalist setting all serve to distance us from the proceedings, allowing us to see the exploitation that lies behind the glittering facade put on by the French. I realise that this kind of approach alienates many, and in the interest of fairness I should point out that West Indies does not have a plot in the conventional sense. It’s rather a series of impressions that showcase the Black experience in the colonies. But anyone interested in what you can achieve within the constraints of the musical genre should definitely give it a chance.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 9, 2021

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Here is a trailer for Annette. A weird musical with Adam Driver, Marion Cotillard, and music by the Sparks.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Everyone's roasting the Dear Evan Hansen movie for being an absurd nightmare and I couldn't be more pleased.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I'm really sad because I'm holding off seeing the movie to see the stage show first, but the film's looking like such a delightful train wreck.

josh04 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 11, 2021

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Apple TV+ just added a filmed performance of Come From Away -- not just a PBS-style concert, but the fully staged Broadway musical.

My wife and I got about half an hour into it, thinking we had been watching for over an hour. It's not that the cast wasn't talented, but it was so corny, it felt like an old-timey musical despite its subject matter. We just couldn't get into it, and I don't know if we have it in us to finish the rest some other time.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

josh04 posted:

I'm really sad because I'm holding off seeing the movie to see the stage show first, but the film's looking like such a delightful train wreck.

I am seeing it too before I see movie version

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 25, 2021

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just watched All That Jazz.

I loved it. It might be my favorite musical? It’s easily a new favorite movie for me. I realized it’s one of those movies that no one describes because it’s crazy to describe on a lot of levels. Just a wonderful time.

How’s Cabaret?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Does Sing Street count as a musical? Because god drat it needs to count. Charming as hell and the songs are bangers, and really feels like a good gateway movie for people who aren't necessarily into musicals as the songs are all in the context of a young band performing the songs as they write them. Stealth musical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuWTcmjnEGY

I'm also on the team that says Grease 2 is way better than the original. I mean sure, the first movie has those incredible songs that you'll be hearing from now until the end of time, but stuck in a dreadful creepy film. Grease 2 has songs that aren't break-out standalone hits, but which work fine in the context of the story itself. The film is far better overall too, instead of Sandy turning herself inside out to please a guy, you have Michelle Pfeiffer making it clear a guy has to live up to her standards. Patricia Birch directed the hell out of that film and I'm sad she never got a second chance to direct. Even though it flopped, it certainly wasn't poorly made in any sense.

Reproduction is such a fun song though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcpc0uX3nZQ

Because I have all the wrong opinions, I want to defend Cats (2019) as a goddamn masterpiece that will be vindicated as a cult classic one day. No other film in the cinema has made me feel the way I did watching plays in the London West End back in the 1980s. Something about it evoked that feeling amazingly. I know it's fun to dunk on it, and I'll find few people willing to die on this hill with me, but I loved it.

Thanks also for those links to the Bollywood clips up thread. I've always wanted to get into more of that, but had no idea where to start.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I wouldn't say that the whole film is an easy viewing these days, it's overly long and slow, but Paint Your Wagon has two really great songs in it. Obviously Wanderin' Star:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5kq12xf1Uk

People would often quote the Clint Eastwood song "I Talk to the Trees", but only because it was such garbage and easy to mock. But he got a second song which was a solid fun number: Gold Fever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG4KIC0UoXA

A musical that hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but really needs to be, is Bugsy Malone. A 1920s gangster film but with kids playing all the roles firing custard guns and driving pedal cars. This film has a GIMMICK, but so many great tunes, all of which really feel suited for the era the film is set.

So You Want To Be a Boxer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVZmW59AAgw

Bad Guys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1FgpBxXho4

You do have to deal with the awkwardness of a teenage Jodie Foster as a femme fatale though.
Tallulah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tKdAu7Fnao

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
I dabble in musical enjoying so I just wanna give a shout-out to Anna and the Apocalypse (2017), a British Christmas musical zombie/horror film that Wikipedia tells me was inspired by West Side Story, Rocky Horror, The Breakfast Club, and that one episode of Buffy. Great ensemble cast and a lot of heart.

If you want a taste here's their version of the ol' "beginning of a zombie movie" scene. If you like it you should probably watch the movie, and if you think it's a little goofy you should definitely watch it.

The catch is that there's a couple different versions of it; what I watched was the US version but the UK version is 5 minutes longer, and the festival/director's cut is 10 minutes longer than that, and from reviews it sounds like that's the best version overall, containing the full version of all the songs that were cut down for time as well as some extra scenes. But the US/UK versions do have some additions and changes compared to the director's cut, like the US version reprising an earlier song at the end in a way that really brings everything together, so I'm tempted to make a custom cut.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1456558787272261640?s=20

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Oh cool, Wicked is the one thing I've seen live and what got me to like musicals. Here's Ariana smashing The Wizard and I, and the little flairs/warbles she likes to do are a perfect fit for Glinda.