Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I love musicals, on stage and screen. Not all of them hit for me, but my wife (who was a child actress) really turned me into a live theatre lover.

Sorry to be a cliche, but Hamilton is probably my favorite stage musical of all time (saw it on Broadway, but sadly not with the original cast), beating out Les Miserables (seen it three times, including once on Broadway). My favorite movie musicals are Little Shop of Horrors (saw a local production of it), Singin' in the Rain, and Chicago (saw it on Broadway).

Some fun lesser-known musical films that are worth seeking out for any musical fans who haven't seen them:

God Help the Girl -- the songs are by Stuart Murdoch of the Scottish band Belle and Sebastian. It's a sweet and melancholy movie starring Emily Browning, and parts of it pay tribute to A Hard Day's Night. I LOVE most of the songs, but I've been a Belle and Sebastian fan for over two decades.

The Last Five Years -- a clever musical that starts with both the beginning of a relationship (from the male partner's sung perspective) and the end of it (from the female partner's perspective), with their two timelines moving forward and backward in time until they intersect at their wedding in the middle of the movie. It stars the ever-delightful Anna Kendrick and Jeremy Jordan, who used to be on Supergirl and is a big Broadway/cabaret singer.

The American Astronaut -- a low-budget, black and white Western/sci-fi/musical that has to be seen to be believed. It also has a sequel, Stingray Sam. Both of them feel like weird fever dreams, Lynchian but also campy.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Apple TV+ just added a filmed performance of Come From Away -- not just a PBS-style concert, but the fully staged Broadway musical.

My wife and I got about half an hour into it, thinking we had been watching for over an hour. It's not that the cast wasn't talented, but it was so corny, it felt like an old-timey musical despite its subject matter. We just couldn't get into it, and I don't know if we have it in us to finish the rest some other time.