Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
How are you guys feeling about having more intrusive monitoring devices installed in your vehicle? Drunkenness will have to be watched for in all new vehicles by 2026 according to the infrastructure bill. There are already gps and cell antennas as well as onstar and other services (which are terrible) but it will be getting a lot worse IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
Some manufacturers already put eye monitors in their cars to track driver attentiveness, but some early ideas I’ve read about involve sweat sensors or other devices to listen for slurred speech or something.

I’m under the impression that any time you take your car in for servicing they are harvesting data from your car’s black box, and I would assume that if the car can determine if the driver is impaired that it would likely signal law enforcement once the car pulled you over.

I’m concerned that there could be software bugs with it, plus the possibility of them being too sensitive. Will you be able to have a beer with your meal and go home? Will people be able to get access to your microphones or cameras within the vehicle if law enforcement must have access to them at all times? Can a consumer defeat them? I’d defeat the gps antenna in my car but then the entire infotainment system shuts down.

My future car purchases are starting to look like mid aughts to mid tens in the future

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

Jiro posted:

Man if I had the know how I'd just take a hollowed out 80s era F-150 and just put in an early 00s engine and suspension. I currently drive a 2018 tahoe and hate how much computer poo poo and touchscreen poo poo is in it.

I’m with you. You don’t drive the newer cars as much as they ferry you around. In addition to the infotainment systems being intrusive and pointless (to me) you also can’t buy a decently priced manual transmission car anymore.

Although the worst parts of the new cars are the privacy-intrusive “features”

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
For work I was in a live chat on a major website yesterday looking to see if the company sold something in certain dimensions that I needed. I type in the chat “do you have xxxxxxx” without pressing enter so I could look over at my notes to type the exact dimensions. The person on the other end says “yes we have xxxxxxx” before I started to type the dimensions into the box.

Friendly reminder most websites are seeing/logging far more of your interactions in real time than you may think about. Also, I saw this headline the other day and it’s funny how quickly I encountered it in the wild after having it come across my radar.

Thousands of Popular Websites See What You Type—Before You Hit Submit https://www.wired.com/story/leaky-forms-keyloggers-meta-tiktok-pixel-study