Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I am having some major problems with my keyboard on my laptop, a Lenovo Flex 4.

What's happening is some of the keys don't work in certain applications - in notepad and 'Run' all of the letters seem to work as do the keys, but in Chrome the letters 'c' and 'h' do not work, nor do the arrow keys.

(This is actually an upgrade from late last night where none of the keys worked and just sent windows haywire)

I think this means I have a stuck windows key (but maybe it could be a different key?), however I have downloaded a windows tool that has a keyboard remap feature and pressing the key there seems to work, as does pressing it in general.

EDIT: it was the Fn key that got stuck, which is the absolute worst key to get stuck because it's a hardware-level key that supercedes Windows, so you can't use software programs to remap/disable it.

However, I am also open to disabling my laptop keyboard and just using my USB one but the problem is Windows 10 won't let me do that either because after disabling/uninstalling it or changing the drivers in device manager it keeps reinstalling them when it reboots. I saw a solution for the reinstalling/re-enabling by using gpedit to disable windows from updating/reinstalling drivers automatically but that doesn't work on the newer windows 10/versions of gpedit.

Thanks for reading this far.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
Never mind, I got angry and hit my keyboard and it seems to work again.

However I really would like to know how to disable the keyboard on my laptop in case it ever happens again. What I need to know is how to prevent Windows 10 from automatically reinstalling it, and the drivers, upon reboot. As I said above, grpedit doesn't work anymore -- apparently it used to be able to turn off the thing in Win10 that automatically reinstalled hardware when it was detected -- because I don't trust this keyboard anymore.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 23, 2021

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Zogo posted:

Have you tried disabling it in device manager? I can't tell from OP.

Yes, that doesn't work because windows will just re-install it, and the drivers for it, automatically.