Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nope. Feel free to make one if you like!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrock
Jul 26, 2005

This is the tower of murder... it's where I hang out!
I'm interested in creating a Traveller thread; I'm an old grognard who played it starting in the LBB days of the 1980s and the MegaTraveller era, dropping out when Traveller: The New Era arrived--thus, my focus with the OP would be more about old-school Traveller and its influence as an early SFRPG with an absurdly rich game-world (that the developers decided to entirely blow up for no good reason, not that I'm still bitter about it or anything.) As a game it has lots of wacky idiosyncracies that are fun to talk about (dying during character creation, gameplay requiring a scientific calculator, furry appeal for fans of intelligent cats/dogs/starfish/homicidal vegetarians, Imperial space marines before they became SPESS MEHREENS) and as a game that's been around for 40 years, with lots of adherents and variants. Other than a couple "WTF, Traveller?" articles on the main page and occasional passing references to the game in a few posts, I'd never seen a Traveller megathread here so figured it might be time to create one. Time to :justpost:?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jetrock posted:

I'm interested in creating a Traveller thread; I'm an old grognard who played it starting in the LBB days of the 1980s and the MegaTraveller era, dropping out when Traveller: The New Era arrived--thus, my focus with the OP would be more about old-school Traveller and its influence as an early SFRPG with an absurdly rich game-world (that the developers decided to entirely blow up for no good reason, not that I'm still bitter about it or anything.) As a game it has lots of wacky idiosyncracies that are fun to talk about (dying during character creation, gameplay requiring a scientific calculator, furry appeal for fans of intelligent cats/dogs/starfish/homicidal vegetarians, Imperial space marines before they became SPESS MEHREENS) and as a game that's been around for 40 years, with lots of adherents and variants. Other than a couple "WTF, Traveller?" articles on the main page and occasional passing references to the game in a few posts, I'd never seen a Traveller megathread here so figured it might be time to create one. Time to :justpost:?

:yeah:

Be sure to link to the WTF, Traveller articles, too!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Crossposting this from Tradgame Chat:

How do people here feel about doing some kind of a TTRPG equivalent of the Creative Convention's Thunderdome? An Adventuredome, if you will?

For those unfamiliar with TD and hates clicking links, it's a weekly flash fiction contest where a Judge or Judges (usually the last week's winner and one or two thread regulars) issue some kind of a prompt ('limericks about capitalism!', 'superheroes with rock band inspired superpowers!', 'stories that actually have some kind of rudimentary characterization!' and other wacky stuff like that), specify any restrictions like story length, give out personal sub-prompts for anyone who asks for one, and at the end of the week after the deadline, a winner is chosen from the stories that actually got written and posted, the Judges give the entries some crits and the winner becomes this week's Judge and picks a new prompt.

A couple of weeks ago TD did a week where you had to create a short D&D-ish dungeon/adventure/hex, inviting people from this forum over to the thread, and it seems to have been quite popular, which led me to think that people here might enjoy this sort of thing on a regular basis. What are your thoughts on this?

I personally think it would be fun, at least for a few rounds. If I were to set this whole thing up by myself, I'd probably make it a triweekly thing, to give everyone a bit more time to make it good - one week to brainstorm, one week to write it up, one week to playtest it (and then frantically rewrite it from scratch while sobbing from terror). As for what a good entry would look like, I was thinking aiming at something One Page Dungeon or Trilemma Adventures-sized for D&D-ish content (but, obviously, not as polished) or for something like the short adventures in Fear's Sharp Little Needles for CoC for more investigative or social scenarios - 2k-3k words and a simple map of some kind, if necessary. The judge would specify what system/genre they want the entries to be for that given week.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jetrock posted:

Very in favor of a Traveler thread, please do make one. Don't feel as though your OP has to be perfect, either!

Megazver posted:

How do people here feel about doing some kind of a TTRPG equivalent of the Creative Convention's Thunderdome? An Adventuredome, if you will?

I think it's a cool idea and if you make one, I'll sticky it and maybe can assist with prize support or similar!

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Megazver posted:

This would be great.

Related, is there a mapmaking thread? I have a huge map I just made I'd like to share and get feedback on, as well as discuss mapmaking in general as well as specific tools/assets (DungeonDraft, Forgotten Adventures, etc.). Also, I want another place to get cool maps.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think we used to have a map-making thread, but I don't see one now, so please make a new one!

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I’d be interested in making a hanafuda thread if it doesn’t exists! I can’t find one and I’m disappointed.

Kiro
May 7, 2007

aldantefax posted:

Thread ideas:

- resources and software reviews thread

This is not exactly casting a wide net re: software reviews, but I've been working on a character sheet web-app for Pathfinder 2e, and I think other players would enjoy using it if they knew it exists. Is Trad Games a good place for me to post an introduction and feedback thread for it?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kiro posted:

This is not exactly casting a wide net re: software reviews, but I've been working on a character sheet web-app for Pathfinder 2e, and I think other players would enjoy using it if they knew it exists. Is Trad Games a good place for me to post an introduction and feedback thread for it?

Certainly posting it in the PF2E thread would probably be very welcome.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Most definitely Kiro. :justpost:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Since it got brought up in the chat thread, I'm curious. How many goons actually play the Digimon TCG? I've been considering making a thread for it, but I only want to put in that effort if there are people who'd post in it.

Kiro
May 7, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Most definitely Kiro. :justpost:

Definitely make a post or definitely contribute to the Pathfinder thread? Sorry I'm confused!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kiro posted:

Definitely make a post or definitely contribute to the Pathfinder thread? Sorry I'm confused!

Either. Both. :justpost:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'd also probably post about it on /r/pathfinder2e and the Paizo forums.

Kiro
May 7, 2007
Thanks guys, I made a post! Results so far are a resounding :silent:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Haha well most TGers don't look at the thread index much, they stick to their bookmarked threads. It's not a bad idea to mention and link to your new stuff from one or two related threads.

e. Oh, I see you did link it from the pathfinder thread. Well! We'll see, there's no guarantee of interest but it's still cool of you to post it.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 26, 2021

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
Any interest in a thread about Foundry or VTTs? I use Foundry a lot and was surprised no one had made a thread for it yet.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

leekster posted:

Any interest in a thread about Foundry or VTTs? I use Foundry a lot and was surprised no one had made a thread for it yet.

I'd like a thread like that. A thread like that for comparing/contrasting VTTs (especially when someone wants to run a specific system in one, but doesn't know which one suits their needs) would be pretty useful imo.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Arrrthritis posted:

I'd like a thread like that. A thread like that for comparing/contrasting VTTs (especially when someone wants to run a specific system in one, but doesn't know which one suits their needs) would be pretty useful imo.

This is an okay start for now: https://paper.dropbox.com/doc/Cyanomys-Guide-To-Playing-RPGs-Online-v2.1.0--BVYYgHjG4AUQtNPaXgQeGIfaAg-Ef83ststlhPqW0LELrgye

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The TG Secret Santa 2021 thread is up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3984315

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe
A bit of a lurker here but trying to help out a friend boost their campaign setting.

Was looking for the Savage Worlds Thread since that's the system used but haven't been able to find anything like that. Is there no thread for the Savage Worlds system?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nope! It's a game from 2003, there might have been a thread for it that is now in archives, but I don't see any active thread. You could try posting one, or just ask questions in the chat thread where undoubtedly someone who knows the system could answer.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leperflesh posted:

Nope! It's a game from 2003, there might have been a thread for it that is now in archives, but I don't see any active thread. You could try posting one, or just ask questions in the chat thread where undoubtedly someone who knows the system could answer.

Savage World Adventure Edition, the latest version, only came out in 2018, and there's a Pathfinder version that is coming out now. It's not that outdated.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Savage World Adventure Edition, the latest version, only came out in 2018, and there's a Pathfinder version that is coming out now. It's not that outdated.

Well, that shows me! Sounds like a new thread might be well worthwhile...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mods didn’t know!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah last night all I did was google Savage World and wikipedia said 2003 and that was as far as my research went lol

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This just goes to show: when in doubt about creating a new thread, :justpost:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
thread idea: a generic "post your pulls/purchases" thread to get validation from other dorks about your poor purchasing decisions?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Leperflesh posted:

I think we used to have a map-making thread, but I don't see one now, so please make a new one!

As far as I can tell we're ~6 months later and there's no maps thread still (unless I'm missing it)? Might throw something together because I want to talk about maps.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, go for it! Maps are cool, let's talk about maps.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
:justmap:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I come bearing a map thread.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
i've been map thread gazumped (hell yea) gonna post about maps

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

RECENT NEW THREADS, which everyone should go look at!

Vintage and Collectible Games, inspired by the recently closed collecting subforum, which also has given us
Collecting Trading Cards!, a thread specifically about the trading card collecting thing, presumably including both stuff like sports cards, and cards that are also games
The One Ring - Drop Into Mount Doom With Bong In Hand was actually made back in February, but that's still pretty new. There's been a kickstarter, to reboot this classic RPG, not to be confused with the boardgame of the same name...
Do you want to Roleplay in the Devastation of World War 3? If so, check out Twilight 2000: Good luck. You're on your own. This classic RPG is now entering its fourth major edition.
Flesh and Blood and other TCG Finance - Scam for $1000, then Go Again is a thread specifically about the Flesh and Blood card game, and also more generally about scammy collectible card games and the weird finance guru slash game nerds who promote them on social media.
Back in June, we got a fresh Traveller thread: Dying during Character Creation: The Traveller Thread. This is for discussion of any edition of that game.
Infinitum wants to see your board game collection. Show it off in Board Games - Literally just 50 different copies of Monopoly on a shelf, or just gape at other people's huge investments in boxes of plastic and cardboard.
Grey Hunter made this thread about some kinda homebrew game some folks were working on I guess? Campaign - 18th Century board game development. Maybe you can help!
DrSunshine wants you to summarize your setting, in one sentence, here: Summarize your setting in one sentence
Libertad! is doing some kind of game rules conversion project here: Converting Settings to Spheres of Power & Might Do you use Spheres of Power & Might? Would you like to? Maybe check it out then.
Frozen Peach made a game called Heckin' Hounds: Heckin Hounds - Hades' dog walkers compete to be the most mediocre. The kickstarter was successful and seems to be moving towards manufacture soon.
What's so cool about Itch.io? IMO it's cool because it has loads of indie games, and takes less money from their makers when you buy them there.

We also have a new map thread, maybe y'all missed it:

Siivola posted:

I come bearing a map thread.
Come post about maps!

I may have missed one or two but this is most of the new threads, go check em all out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The 2022 New Years Resolutions Thread is up!

Also, you may be interested in:
The new Commander/EDH Magic thread
Goon Calico Heart's new game, Dead in the West

Iron Heart
Jan 17, 2015

The future is bright.
Which thread is the thread to post in about DIY projects? Interested in throwing together a wooden dice tower and other such things.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Iron Heart posted:

Which thread is the thread to post in about DIY projects? Interested in throwing together a wooden dice tower and other such things.

Hmm. Probably the chat thread. We have a game-creator's thread, but not one specifically for game-adjacent projects. You could also make a new thread! A thread in HCH would also work, and you could post a link to it here & in the chat thread.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Marceline Abadeer posted:

There's a thread for finding IRL game groups, and a thread for looking for players for online games. Where can I post that I'm looking to join a game/what systems I'm looking to play? :abrathink:

(I wanna play some d&d 5e, nothing weird or obscure.)

This is kind of a big gap, isn't it? I think we should have a place where people can present themselves as available for online play, including PbP and also discord/VT/etc.

It'd need to actually have participants, of course, but anyone think it's a terrible idea?

I'm cross-posting this from the chat thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's not a 'terrible' idea, but I am on a few Discords that have channels for players to post their LFG and there's basically no point. The ratio of people who want to play to GMs is like 50 to 1, at the least, and no one cares about the players' channel. It's entirely a GMs market.