Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I stopped this probably just before finishing, but I might still eventually come back to finish it.

There was an enemy that we'll get introduced to later that I really loved thematically, but just became a wall for me. Another of the divisive design choices IMO.

It's too bad that for me this game is less than the sum of its parts because I like a lot of the parts. The movement mechanics (that we see a bit of in this video) add some interesting traversal and puzzle mechanics, though on the flip side, that means that level design can get really obtuse. A lot of the "new" enemy designs are really interesting and I dig the slightly more cartoony style, but this game seems to be swinging between grim-dark serious and goofy, Saturday morning wacky in tone. It's really like Doom 2016 was a huge hit, and the party was split between leaning into the more serious stuff (plot) and the sillier aspects (animation, colorful presentation, Doom guy's interactions) and they don't mesh 100% in their current state.

I have other thoughts but I'm already bumping up against spoilers, so I'll save it for when we get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Watching you play this reminds me of how much I loved the early game. Though I will admit to losing an embarrassing number of lives to the platforming puzzle at the end of this level. That last monkey bar swing to get to the island I would either miss the dash refill, or whiff the bar itself entirely.

I think I recall people referring to that as Super Mario Bullshit, and I have to say with the spinning chains of fire and falling platforms over lava, it's not entirely unfair.

I loved the slayer gates, as playing them is the textbook definition of Frantic. Constantly running to and from enemies, trying to dash around corners to get to some form of cover to avoid some fireball or another, ducking through teleporters to get across the map, almost always being just on the verge of dying before being able to chainsaw some revenant or zombie and start the pattern over again. It's maybe the most concentrated fun in the game.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

It was mentioned last video but maybe one of the uses of the underground arena on the fortress of doom would be to unlock the weapon challenges in case you somehow did not get them all in normal game play.

Echoing the gently caress the Marauder statement. What a misstep. Looks cool, cool story element, neat move set. But it's too much. Give me a variation on marauders that do half of the stuff this one guy does. Have shield/shotgun be one guy and have axe/wolf be another. Then have one boss Marauder that is the whole package. That could be fun and switch things up a little bit.

I will add that in addition to being vulnerable to the BFG he is technically susceptible to another weapon we haven't seen yet. But it requires glitching a little bit.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Exactly. First time I encountered one, he absolutely mulched my extra lives, because "shoot it until it dies" didn't work.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So, (and not trying to be "well actaully" guy) you can glitch Marauders and kill them with the Crucible. But to do so you either have to cheat with unlimited ammo and stun lock them with grenades, or get them in glory kill stun and then hit them with the crucible. So, eh, kinda. But if you already have them in dazed state, why waste crucible ammo except to say you did it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

This is right where I just got sick of playing and stopped. Which probably means we have like 1 or 2 levels to go before the end, but I don't know if I can muster any energy towards finishing it myself.

That being said, for anyone who is interested in it, it is on sale on Steam for Half off and 25% off the first story DLC, so basic Eternal is about $30.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Maybe I missed it before but what is the significance of the Doom Level 35 pop up at about 12:45? I don't remember leveling up being a thing.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

You know maybe that's a way to improve the icon of sin fight, and tie it in to the "wherever he goes, he warps reality around him" bit of lore.

In the lead up to the fight, the environment changes and warps. Maybe as you progress the steel and concrete buildings give way to more hellish appearance and look a bit more like flesh and bone, kind of like the structures in the big gore nest level.

You still keep the rooftop/kaiju battle setup, but you change two things. First, you make his "health" a little lower for each part (and if you want to really improve things, each body part has it's own discrete health bar. Eaier to tell for sure what you still need to attack.) - but there is a secondary bar. And that bar tracks how much Earth gets corrupted due to the icon's presence. So the longer the fight goes on the more corrupted and weird the arena battle looks. It starts off like a fairly normal sky scraper, but more weird stuff pops up. Have the above mentioned change to hell appearances, but maybe different paths close off or open up based on how quickly you can defeat him. It's always winnable from any point in the fight, but maybe navigation is a little trickier or requires more precise platforming at the beginning. A skilled player could take down the icon while the building is in the first phase, using monkey swings and climbing to get to an advantageous spot, that is maybe riskier for direct attacks. Meanwhile, if the setting gets to phase three or four, a few portals open up that support a more hit and run playstyle, providing some cover or even a few much needed pickups.

And then it also reflects the often repeated "The longer he's on Earth, the stronger he becomes" line, because while you don't make the icon stronger in the traditional sense of a longer health bar or him doing more damage, his effect on the world is more apparent.

And you can even tie it slightly in to the ending. If you beat him quickly, the last shot of the earth shows minimal demonic corruption, and the ARC podcast is a quick, "Thanks Doom Slayer". If you take a long time, the ending shot of earth shows a lot of portals and red blotches all over, and the recording is more "The icon has been defeated, but there are still some pockets that need to be cleaned up."

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Can you use cheats in the DLC?

I think the spirits are the main reason they give you the fully upgraded arsenal. If you never purchased or upgraded the microwave beam, then they would have to account for that.

Speaking of the spirits, they feel lazy design wise. It's just a blue '16 summoner as you pointed out. I mean they could have done anything else and it would have been something. OTOH, maybe it's expecting too much to not only come up with an all new concept for an enemy and also make a new design when you could just recycle an asset from the previous game, which, in fairness, they didn't use at all in Eternal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

Though given the ending I feel like it is very much setting up another sequel down the road, once the Makyrs gently caress EVERYTHING UP AGAIN[/spoiler]

Yeah, that was my take too.

It was brought up I think both in thread and the last commentary where "If you are going to have the bad guy be just an 'evil' version of the doomguy, why not just do that?"

And I think you can get a satisfying boss out of that. Take a one on one vs match from 2016's multiplayer as a start. Add the maneuverability stuff from eternal and maybe transition through a few different set piece arenas.

Maybe if you sup him up, have him grab Quad Damage and Berserk and Speed Up and what ever that other stuff was, now you have a fight. Have them strewn about the battle field, and whoever gets to it first gets it. Does it mean that he could waste you in a single good volley of rockets? Yeah, sure. But you could do the same thing. If you must have rounds, have some imp or something throw an invincible on him just before you land the death blow. Have one guy chainsaw another in front of Satan so he gets all the powerups and ammo. Have him split into two or three doom guys to really put the pressure on.

Now you have both worlds - The ultimate enemy is actually you. He gets access to all of your weapons and skills. But he also gets your vulnerabilities. He doesn't have regenerating shields or health. Straight up damage will take him down, and it doesn't have to be a barrage of bastilla fire or rockets.