Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm not sure how I feel about Eternal from this first update.

I thought Doom 2016 was one of the most boring and overrated games I've ever seen, much as I enjoyed the LP, and right away Eternal fixes a number of the qualms I had with it, with far more color and varied environments. Of course, it then introduces a whole host of new problems with a story that smacks of the Destiny games in vibe (and that is not a compliment).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On the one hand, I love the environments in this game so far in isolation. It's colorful, varied, detailed, and not at all afraid of being a video game.

On the other hand, this feels like a Bungie game with all this lore and story and characters the game acts like you should already know.

Doesn't help that the core gameplay still looks incredibly dull in that very calculated, designed by committee, "look how awesome and epic this is way!" that's feeling even more egregious now than in Doom 2016.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The doom hunters remind me a lot of the Saboath in Doom 3, just with a hover base instead of tracks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For an evil version of the Doom Slayer I was expecting something... more.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
That is the weakest 'rip and tear' I've ever heard in a game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
As someone who's never played Eternal, and didn't finish Doom 2016, I don't find the videos hard to follow. Eternal isn't as breathtakingly dull as 2016, but the combat is just as rote and samey.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wiegieman posted:

Folks, we found it. The absolute planck temperature take.

And the inevitable response on SA whenever I criticize Doom 2016's (and now Doom Eternal's) combat for being repetitive and boring.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Calling it now: Hayden is a Maykr spy or defector. He knows everything about how they and Hell work, his game plan in 2016 was exactly what the Maykrs are doing, and his robot body looks like Maykr tech.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Great LP of an awful game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

I'd say "Great LP of a solid and good game with groan-worthy writing that couldn't understand what made it good."

I'd say the whole "And then the Dark Lord's creations went absolutely bugfuck terrified because they weren't immortal" "Makyrs are bugfuck terrified of dying" "VEGA/Father is actually the Dark Lord that usurped the real Father and cast him down as a false Dark Lord" twist at the end could have been written so much better than just a last minute"WELL AKTSHUALLY". The way the Makyrs had some insane, all consuming fear of death makes me feel the twist was something they had written in earlier but...it's just so lamely done.

To me, more fundamentally, I do not find the core gameplay loop of Doom 2016 enjoyable, and nothing in Eternal looks like it's changed. To me, the core game of Doom 2016 was boring and repetitive, and so it is in Eternal. That the story is godawful is almost beside the point.

But I know the first part of that is an extreme minority opinion on SA.