Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Sounds like something you ought to bring up with your boss instead of crying here bud :fella:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Without bludreyna, humanity would have died out, try to cut up the facts however you want. When janhedda led her bitch-made fifth column into rebellion, She ensured the destruction of the planet. Yet, everyone wants to pin it all on their literal savior, because they cry at night thinking about what they had to do to survive. Get out of my loving face

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
They did one thing wrong: that interior design, woof!

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

To:30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux:rgo did nothing wrong

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Poohs Packin posted:

"Animal House" is beyond awful

Oh I see, you're just the worst.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Clark is annoying as gently caress because he's so obsessed and insistent with one single idea of what "Christmas" is. Like why not have margaritas? Why is it only one specific thing?? Boomers are just like that all they want is to check boxes off and not engage with the actual spirit of something.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Uncle Eddie would be one hell of a good poster.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Clark is annoying as gently caress because he's so obsessed and insistent with one single idea of what "Christmas" is. Like why not have margaritas? Why is it only one specific thing?? Boomers are just like that all they want is to check boxes off and not engage with the actual spirit of something.

The ritual of doing something has its own fun too. Like it's okay to engage with things just because it's a "thing". Don't be such a grump.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

stratdax posted:

The ritual of doing something has its own fun too. Like it's okay to engage with things just because it's a "thing". Don't be such a grump.
Yeah but if things go wrong, just roll with it. That's how traditions and in-jokes get started. Don't just get upset and obsessed because you have one single idea of the "right time"

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yeah but if things go wrong, just roll with it. That's how traditions and in-jokes get started. Don't just get upset and obsessed because you have one single idea of the "right time"

yes you're right. Sticks in the mud unwilling to roll with something are definitely not fun people.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

ChesterJT posted:

Oh I see, you're just the worst.

Somebody's mom gave that movie to me before I shipped off to college in 2004 and it was dated and creepy then. John Belushi has a few funny scenes, but much like your favorite classic rock station, its legend is being propped up by tasteless boomers. Sowwy.

Edit: Boomers love The Animal's House because it provides evidence to validate the stories of their former exploits, which, much like their beer guts, have grown substantially in size since the 70s.

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 29, 2021

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Lol

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Marco Inaros did nothing wrong

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

E: I would actually be interested in hearing more opinions about movies where the people made out to be bad guys are actually being treated unreasonably, and I don't mean tacky poo poo like "KILLMONGER WAS RIGHT," I mean more down to earth crap like people being assholes to the Kranks for not wanting to go to Christmas or Todd and Margo being tormented by a family of imbeciles nonstop.

if you think about it the real victim of cable guy is the cable guy and if jack black wasnt such an insecure gently caress who was looked down on the cable guy for trying to be friends with his friend the entire movie could of been avoided. that and if the real cable guy wasnt such a gently caress up that some masked vigilante is out there turning on peoples cable.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Poohs Packin posted:

I had a re-watch of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989) and I realized these two things:

1. Its not that funny anymore
2. The next door neighbours (Todd and Margo) are consistently portrayed as uptight yuppies who deserve to have their nights and home ruined by the rag-tag yet "real" Griswolds. The Griswolds absolutely terrorize these people through sheer ignorance and obnoxious behavior. The Griswolds are lovely loving neighbours.

Todd and Margo have no children and live in a very nice suburb of Chicago. They are clearly busy professionals just trying to enjoy their time off. At one point they are seen enjoying margaritas and a cheese plate, a combination that while decidedly "un-christmas-y" sounds like a really nice respite from the stodgy egg-nog and roast being enjoyed next door. At one point, when Clark is hanging a truly obnoxious amount of Christmas lights; they hope that he might fall and break his neck. This is meant to portray them as soulless and detestable, but they've had to put up with this selfish, tradition-obsessed, disaster prone maniac for untold Christmas seasons. If my next door neighbours were pumping the blackwater from their camper trailer into the storm drain in front of my home, let alone downing trees through my windows while I'm trying to drink some booze and enjoy the DINK life with my beautiful wife who happens to be Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, I'd be more than a bit upset. I doubt I'd call the police, but I might poo poo in their new swimming pool.

Cheers

edit: Oh yeah and their jogging and fitness is presented as being elitist and silly instead of just a good balanced way to live. These people are completely justified in their frustration.

The intended audience relates to the Griswolds.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

remember the movie Down and Out in Beverly Hills where nick nolte is a homeless con-man and comes into richard dreyfuss' house and fucks his wife, daughter and maid and at the end they are all thankful because they are less uptight or something?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I vaguely remember that. Was it good?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

I just checked out what he has been up to since his canadian escapades and he's a crazy trump chud, which honestly is very not surprising

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

ChickenHeart posted:

The protagonists of The Lost World: Jurassic Park make a mockery of conservation science by trying to rescue and preserve man-made genetic abominations. In their quest to "save the dinosaurs," they manage to get dozens of people killed, throw San Fransisco into total bedlam, and aided in the proliferation of invasive species further destabilizing ecosystems worldwide.

The protagonists go to the island just to record the dinosaurs and ingen takes them off the island to San diego

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

TheManWithNoName posted:

remember the movie Down and Out in Beverly Hills where nick nolte is a homeless con-man and comes into richard dreyfuss' house and fucks his wife, daughter and maid and at the end they are all thankful because they are less uptight or something?

Four stars from Ebert

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol fuckin ebert

dude gave blue velvet a bad review

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

TheManWithNoName posted:

remember the movie Down and Out in Beverly Hills

No but I do remember The Slums of Beverly Hills and Marissa Tomei’s boobies

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

hawowanlawow posted:

lol fuckin ebert

dude gave blue velvet a bad review

He was a great film historian and critic who wrote a lot of insightful books and articles about the process and theory and disliked some otherwise critically revered films like every single human being who watches movies under the sun.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ok buddy settle down

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

hawowanlawow posted:

ok buddy settle down

You have a problem with being revealed as a true bastard? Sinner??

feller
Jul 5, 2006

blue velvet owns but having a couple misses doesn't mean someone sucks or whatever dumb point you were tryin to make

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

1redflag posted:

No but I do remember The Slums of Beverly Hills and Marissa Tomei’s boobies

Body double. Sorry.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

yikes! posted:

blue velvet owns but having a couple misses doesn't mean someone sucks or whatever dumb point you were tryin to make

Yeah not to totally continue the pile on here but Blue Velvet isn't exactly the most accessible film for some people. Some folks want the movie to take control and stick to recognizable arcs so they can just relax and take in a story without having to solve a mystery.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Poohs Packin posted:

Yeah not to totally continue the pile on here but Blue Velvet isn't exactly the most accessible film for some people. Some folks want the movie to take control and stick to recognizable arcs so they can just relax and take in a story without having to solve a mystery.

Prior to Blue Velvet, Lynch had directed The Elephant Man and Dune; two films that definitely had some of his characteristic style but were significantly muted in comparison. Eraserhead seemed like an odd duck at that point. His first major feature after one critical success (that is a normal film by most standards) and one big Hollywood flop, was far more predictive of his later stylistic flair and weird juxtaposition between lighthearted melodrama and brutally dark poo poo, so a lot of reviewers didn't get it at the time. Ebert thinking Blue Velvet being mocking in tone and holding bizarre contrast with its darker material was an entirely natural response at that point in time. He wasn't the only person to have that view. It wasn't until Twin Peaks until people fully gelled with his vibe and realized that he was being affectionate and genuine rather than sardonically cruel.

Lynch basically comes part and parcel with his films, people know what he is like and that informs the watching experience. He's so absurdly influential and famous now that people accept his work at face value without seeing them as confrontational, that wasn't really established yet by Blue Velvet.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Prior to Blue Velvet, Lynch had directed The Elephant Man and Dune; two films that definitely had some of his characteristic style but were significantly muted in comparison. Eraserhead seemed like an odd duck at that point. His first major feature after one critical success (that is a normal film by most standards) and one big Hollywood flop, was far more predictive of his later stylistic flair and weird juxtaposition between lighthearted melodrama and brutally dark poo poo, so a lot of reviewers didn't get it at the time. Ebert thinking Blue Velvet being mocking in tone and holding bizarre contrast with its darker material was an entirely natural response at that point in time. He wasn't the only person to have that view. It wasn't until Twin Peaks until people fully gelled with his vibe and realized that he was being affectionate and genuine rather than sardonically cruel.

Lynch basically comes part and parcel with his films, people know what he is like and that informs the watching experience. He's so absurdly influential and famous now that people accept his work at face value without seeing them as confrontational, that wasn't really established yet by Blue Velvet.

Watching Wild at Heart rn will read post in a few luh u doe

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Bobby Peru did nothing wrong

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

David Lynch’s best work is, and will always be, that video on YouTube where he’s cooking quinoa

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you just can't make fun of dorky goobers anymore

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Coach McGuirk was the better father

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Inverted Icon posted:

Without bludreyna, humanity would have died out, try to cut up the facts however you want. When janhedda led her bitch-made fifth column into rebellion, She ensured the destruction of the planet. Yet, everyone wants to pin it all on their literal savior, because they cry at night thinking about what they had to do to survive. Get out of my loving face

YES. the planet was going to blow up reguardless and bludreyna is the only one who was willing to do what it took to make sure all of humanity survived at what the cost of even her own life.

although i sided with the sea people gently caress everyone no bunker for anyone we all die.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Prince Hans was just a victim an antiquated absolute monarchy system.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
BravestoftheLamps was just doing what had to be done

We need them back

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Bethod being king of the north would have made the whole world better off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ziv Zulander posted:

David Lynch’s best work is, and will always be, that video on YouTube where he’s cooking quinoa

No it's his iPhone rage