Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

sometimes a game seems hard because you were young and stupid.

when we rented super mario rpg, we told toad we knew about timed hits when we didn't and got all the way to the axem rangers without ever using them. I didn't know the game had timed defense too until like last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

First time I played Final Fantasy 3 it was my first rpg and I didn't understand leveling up. I ran away from every fight and would just barely beat the bosses with one party member left standing with low hp. I eventually hit a wall and stopped playing until I finally realized how rpgs work.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

herculon posted:

First time I played Final Fantasy 3 it was my first rpg and I didn't understand leveling up. I ran away from every fight and would just barely beat the bosses with one party member left standing with low hp. I eventually hit a wall and stopped playing until I finally realized how rpgs work.

First time I played the original FF on NES I just walked straight to Garland and died immediately. I turned it off and didn’t play another RPG until FF2

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think I told this story before but the first time my dad played ultima exodus on the NES he sold a character's blood until he died, then got hopping mad when the guy turned to ash before he could resurrect him with the blood money.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bicyclops posted:

I think I told this story before but the first time my dad played ultima exodus on the NES he sold a character's blood until he died, then got hopping mad when the guy turned to ash before he could resurrect him with the blood money.

lol

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

herculon posted:

I did understand leveling up, having played FF1, but for some reason despite the game telling you straight out "don't attack Whelk's shell" I decided to do it, repeatedly.

I was 7 when FF1 came out and only ever made it to Melmond becaue I couldn't figure out how to get to the Earth Cave lol

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
i tend to get bored with the fights in jrpgs once enemies start repeating, and end up underlevelled from trying to rush ahead. this usually ends with me repeatedly bashing my head against a boss until i either quit or force myself to grind for an afternoon.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I played Earthbound in college and when I got to giygas, the second time it said my prayer wasn't heard, I figured I had to just beat him with damage. I spent an entire weekend trying to do it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

For me final fantasy x and basically was way too underlevelled to get past Mi'Hen highroad the first time. Also happened my brother playing FFVII because he got nailed by the move when its tail shakes reversal thing. And then me an my other brother told our mother to demand he replace it with a new crash bandicoot

also most games i never completed until i was like 23 and got good at gaming. So many i played in my teens when i gamed way more and found super hard and then played in the last few years and they were fine. can't think of any now sorry!

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

ff8 before i figured out how strong the junction system was and that only focusing on leveling up was a trap

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I remember having FF1 on the nes when I was a kid (I got it after beating FF6) and I couldn't beat the first boss no matter how hard I tried. Took me like a month before a friend came by and realized I had no weapons or armor equipped. I thought I was equipping properly and I wasn't.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I never figured out how Blitz worked in FFVI and got completed walled by Vargas because I kept trying to input the move during the animation startup and was just convinced I was loving up the timing or the inputs

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Sort of related but at a summer camp when I was a kid I hosed up some kids elite 4 battle on pokemon blue because i insisted that tail whip on a raticate was a high damage move because of the tv show.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I played Adventures of Lolo when I was like 4 years old and I cried when I couldn't figure out how to play it.

I got all the way to the end of disc 3 of FFVIII not using junction system at all, I just used summons to win all my battles. This stopped working when you had to do the boss fight where you had to keep Rinoa alive but she could be hit by your attacks.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
ff8 cause didnt understand the junctioning system. dark souls cause like so many others tried to go through the cemetery first and because everyone said it was so hard i was just like welp guess they werent lying. legend of dragoon would also go from easy to hard everytime you upgraded weapons cause you had to get the new timings down for it.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

I played Earthbound in college and when I got to giygas, the second time it said my prayer wasn't heard, I figured I had to just beat him with damage. I spent an entire weekend trying to do it.

Oh yeah, when I was in elementary school a friend of mine had Earthbound and of course he had the strategy guide but we couldn't figure out why Pray wasn't working. This is because we tried to Pray immediately and didn't do enough damage to trigger the right phase. So we never beat it.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

never being able to Blitz the boss in Final Fantasy III. i experimented a lot with that and never managed to get it right. that game also had a save on the Floating Island and I could not for the life of me beat Ultima Weapon, even though i understood other fundamentals of the game. running around like an idiot in A Link to the Past and not figuring out where to go and never progressing past the first dungeon. beating both games some years later as a young teen was incredibly epic. i spent hours on both and even though i sucked at them they're one of my favorites because of that.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

albany academy posted:

Sort of related but at a summer camp when I was a kid I hosed up some kids elite 4 battle on pokemon blue because i insisted that tail whip on a raticate was a high damage move because of the tv show.

lol

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Final Fantasy Tactics wasn't my first tactics rpg but I died multiple times in the first battle until I realized you had to use the shoulder buttons on the ps1 controller to deploy more troops.

relevant image for entire thread

Sivek fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 23, 2021

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Sivek posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics wasn't my first tactics rpg but I died multiple times in the first battle until I realized you had to use the shoulder buttons on the ps1 controller to deploy more troops.

I did the exact same thing the first time I played it. Then on the second try I just randomly hit a shoulder button and all these additional characters scrolled on by.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

apropos to nothing posted:

ff8 cause didnt understand the junctioning system. dark souls cause like so many others tried to go through the cemetery first and because everyone said it was so hard i was just like welp guess they werent lying. legend of dragoon would also go from easy to hard everytime you upgraded weapons cause you had to get the new timings down for it.

lol I did this after going through the bell gargoyles and feeling badass because you go down then! kamikaze runs to take out necromancers ftw

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Sivek posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sivek posted:

same only i kept going and ended up taking the whole weekend to beat two maps

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
I was too dumb as a teen for the stealth in Forsaken Fortress so I put Wind Waker on the shelf for about a year before coming back to it. Never had any issues with the stealth in Ocarina and Majora, I guess I was a very stupid kid who couldn't sit in a barrel for a few seconds.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

my friend once thought his copy of mgs was broken for months until i came over and used O instead of X to navigate the menus for him

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tried to play Jeopardy! on the NES when I was like 6 or 7 years old. I thought the game was rewarding me even when I answered nonsense so I was all excited, but it turned out I just didn't know about negative numbers yet.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sivek posted:

Spent an afternoon with a friend figuring out how to solo this because it never occurred to us that we could add more troops. I just thought we didn't have any yet.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Martman posted:

Tried to play Jeopardy! on the NES when I was like 6 or 7 years old. I thought the game was rewarding me even when I answered nonsense so I was all excited, but it turned out I just didn't know about negative numbers yet.

lmao

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

albany academy posted:

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Martman posted:

lmfao

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Martman posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Martman posted:

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Martman posted:

lmao

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Martman posted:

Lol I used to fire up Tetris and stack all the blocks to the top of the screen thinking I won.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Martman posted:

Lmao

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Martman posted:

Kongming posted:

Lol I used to fire up Tetris and stack all the blocks to the top of the screen thinking I won.

lmao

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Martman posted:

Kongming posted:

lmao

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

when my sister and i were first starting to play video games, our father rented the original Animal Crossing for us. we had no idea what we were supposed to do and wandered around shaking trees until we got stung by bees, which scared us both enough to stop playing it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Kid me, utterly terrified of the mace swinging miniboss in link to the past who guards Zelda

Me, plinking him for the 40th time with the boomerang: man this guy has a lot of health...maybe I'm doing sth wrong...but maybe he has 50 health so here's 10 more hits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I got Sonic 2 for the Game Gear as an Easter present when I was 9, and the first boss (the bomb centipede thing in the minecart level) was nigh-impossible for me. I think I got to the second level once, and it was on the bus on the way to a field trip; I was maybe 15 seconds into 2-1 when we arrived and I had to turn the Game Gear off.

I played that game for a year or two, on and off, and then dropped it like a hot rock. I've never gone back.