Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Hell yes, I'm in. Will have to reread the book a bit and think up a background. Any specifics on the type of crew they are, so I can work up the backstory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Freudian slippers posted:

What type of crew would you rather play?

My preference list would be:

Shadows
Assassins
Smugglers
Cultists
Hawkers
Bravos

Personally, I've had terrible experience with any goon related game involving religion, unfortunately, but I'm down to be surprised and proven wrong! I've always wanted to play a Thief style heist based campaign in this setting, though, because holy crap I looooooove the original Thief games.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

grobbo posted:

Well, definitely feel free to let me know about what kind of issues you've had! This is going to be much more of a sinister Lovecraftian cult than any reflection of a real-world religion, but if there's anything in particular which has spoilt games for you in the past, we can try and make sure we steer clear of it.

- Players inserting RL religious ideology into the game, i.e. pushing the religion as some conservative thing because they think all religions should be like Catholicism/Puritans/whatever.

- One player going ultra-zealot and trying to enforce THEIR very specific view of what the religion is or how the party should behave, and labeling other players as heretics and driving a wedge in the group constantly to the point where the campaign just falls apart from in-fighting.

- A player being an aggressive atheist OOCly and thus going out of his way to exemplify why religion is terrible ICly, and be maximal piece of poo poo and always argue that religious types are terrible and oppressive people. For example, constantly implying that all the religious characters are pedophiles! Yay! :doh:

- The entire campaign similarly being set up by someone with a very low opinion of religion, and therefore as players trying to play religious sorts we were forced to be pieces of poo poo by the plot, because the GM wanted to demonstrate how religion is bad.

- LOL CLERIC PRAY GOD, SMASH ALL. (not really relevant in this ruleset)

- Pushing weird sex cult type poo poo, though this can happen with anything and some players just need to insert weird sex poo poo in everything.

- The entire campaign being set up so that the party had to sacrifice (permakill) PCs as they went along, in the end the game being just one player left and the DM, with every other player peacing out with varying levels of dis/satisfaction at how the campaign was run. (also probably not relevant since we have backup chars)

- The entire plot being a front, with the "twist" being that the entire religion was a scam and the players were duped the entire time. Could have gone well, but a few of the players put in some work and did research on tribal religion and whatnot to make up a fun mythos, and then it was all pulled out from under them as a corporate ploy, and the interest level nosedived shortly after that.

Think that's all the variations I've seen in the last 15+ years of PbPing/live gaming with goons. Religious campaigns can be a minefield... I've seen a couple of games that managed to pull them off well, but ultimately they were less about the religion and more about the setting itself, namely Inquisition type poo poo in either some historical fiction type setting or 40k.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

We could all have joke nautical ranks, just to be in theme.