Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Going off of what gets used for year-end awards:

Bests

Fighter of the Year

Fight of the Year

Max Holloway vs Calvin Kattar, UFC on ABC 1

Weight Division of the Year

Best Major Show

Performance of the Year

Max Holloway vs Calvin Kattar, UFC on ABC 1

Round of the Year

KO of the Year

Cory Sandhagen vs Frankie Edgar, Flying Knee, UFC Fight Night 184

Derrick Lewis vs Curtis Blaydes, Upperct, UFC Fight Night 185

Submission of the Year

Matheus Santos vs Alexander Volodin, Overhead Toe Hold & Calf Slicer (AKA the Stretch Muffler, AKA the BROCK LOCK), Open Fighting Championship 2

Breakout Fighter of the Year

Most Improved Fighter of the Year

Upset of the Year

Anthony Hernandez, BJJ purple belt submitting ADCC champ Rodolfo Vieira by guillotine choke, UFC 258

Comeback of the Year

Worsts

Worst Fight of the Year

Worst Major Show of the Year

Foul of the Year

Worst Refereeing Mistake of the Year

Worst Judging Incompetence of the Year

Worst Coaching Gameplan of the Year

Worst Booking Decision of the Year

Dumbest Career Move

Others

Best Trash Talk of the Year

"Oh, I'm a freshman?" - Max Holloway to Calvin Kattar, midfight of the UFC on ABC 1 main event, as he dodges Calvin's punches and lands no-look shots of his own

Best Comedic Moment of the Year

Greatest Schadenfreude of the Year

Max screaming,"I'm a freshman!?!" towards the commentators while drilling Kattar, who claimed he was a superior boxer, with no-look precision shots - UFC on ABC 1, January 16 2021

Conor McGregor claiming he was going to beat Dustin Poirier in less than 60 seconds, then proceeding to get beat the gently caress up and losing in round 2 - UFC 257, January 23rd 2021

Best Social Media Presence

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

LobsterMobster posted:

While we wait for the Best & Worst of 2021 thread, I want to note these things from today's event:

Performance of the Year - Max Holloway vs Calvin Kattar

Insult/Trash Talk of the Year - Max Holloway saying "oh, I'm a freshman?" (referencing Kattar saing that he's a senior when it comes to boxing and Max is a freshman), in the 5th round while dodging punches

Could make an argument for Joaquin Buckley to be overhyped underperforming for losing by KO to a guy on a three fight losing skid, but ehhh

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fight of the Year - Max Holloway vs. Calvin Kattar - UFC on ABC 1, January 16 2021

Greatest Schadenfreude of the Year - Max screaming,"I'm a freshman!?!" towards the commentators while drilling Kattar, who claimed he was a superior boxer, with no-look precision shots - UFC on ABC 1, January 16 2021

Greatest Schadenfreude of the Year - Conor McGregor claiming he was going to beat Dustin Poirier in less than 60 seconds, then proceeding to get beat the gently caress up and losing in round 2 - UFC 257, January 23rd 2021

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

considering nominating bellator under dumbest career move by not getting their poo poo together in time to capitalize on ufc taking a brief break and just shoving some fighters out there in the circlegon

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KO of the Year: Frankie Edgar vs. Cory Sandhagen - UFC Fight Night Overeem vs. Volkov 2/6

Just loving crazy poo poo.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

KO of the Year: Cory Sandhagen vs Frankie Edgar, Flying Knee, UFC Fight Night 184

https://streamable.com/ulfd8t

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

worst a lot of things: a eminem music video during the overeem/volkov event

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Like a snail that melteth away into slime, they shall be taken away; like a dead-born child, they shall not see the sun.

LobsterMobster posted:

worst a lot of things: a eminem music video during the overeem/volkov event

truly one of the most embarrassing things that has ever happened in the ufc

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Upset of the Year

UFC 258 Anthony Hernandez def. Rodolfo Vieira Submission (guillotine choke)

Note that Hernandez is a random dude who has a purple belt and Vieira was an undefeated MMA fighter and former ADCC champion. This result was a -3000 line!

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

Also nominating Viera for Gas Out of the year, and Julian Marquez for worst post-fight interview

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KO of the Year: Derrick Lewis vs. Curtis Blaydes - UFC on ESPN+ 43 2/20

Utterly terrifying power on display.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Submission of the Year: Matheus Santos vs Alexander Volodin, Overhead Toe Hold/Calf Slicer, Open Fighting Championship 2 2/20

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1363594285363458050

Fentry fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 22, 2021

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

Cabana's legal advice?
I'm bourgeoisie.
I... hit the shitty
firemans carry knee.

A loving Stretch Muffler?!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Wow....that feels good

Fallen Rib

edit: nevermind I didn't see the text in the post from fentry calling the sub out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Best something - a nazi getting his rear end kicked

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1364233763207667716