Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Koch: Whoa, whoa, hands of the Don's merchandise, you @#$ creep. What do you think this is, Funcoland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

P-Mack posted:

I told this story before but when I picked up my FF7 preorder from Funcoland the clerk said "yo that game's awesome there's a part where a girl almost gets raped!” It was a long car ride home with my mom.

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mom: Hey, leave some room for the holy ghost on that couch, you two, you're supposed to be doing homework. What do you think this is,

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmao

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

P-Mack posted:

I told this story before but when I picked up my FF7 preorder from Funcoland the clerk said "yo that game's awesome there's a part where a girl almost gets raped!” It was a long car ride home with my mom.

Lmao

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Wormskull posted:

Do you have to put a stacked MILF Summon and a demure jailbait pet in your party that keep trying to give you and the player character a boner.

No, you get this guy instead

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

Do you have to put a stacked MILF Summon and a demure jailbait pet in your party that keep trying to give you and the player character a boner.

yes

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmfao

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

when your player character in a 16 bit JRPG gets a boner, your mind makes it real

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Kongming posted:

No, you get this guy instead

Lmfao

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wormskull posted:

Isn't Dark Cloud 2 kinda like this actually. Is it on the PSN Classics or whatever.

it's called dark chronicle and it whips rear end

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

it's called dark chronicle and it whips rear end

europe goon spotted

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If you like FF12’s combat Xenoblade has a similar chill vibe but the second game is incredibly waifu-y

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I always thot it was weord u could drop a deuce in ff6 and your character sprite does this squat that up until that point is used during cutscenes to show theuve been knocked over, are concered, or possibly sick and/or dead

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I’ll take a pic later but I live near a pizza place where their signature pizzas have like JRPG item style (baked with something [gutsy, smoky, etc]) in the prefacing the description.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yeah xenoblade 2 kicks rear end but its about the most japanese pervert game i cn think of other than like the neptunia games lol. worth a look when you dont mind big titty anime babes tho, it's really good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

I’ll take a pic later but I live near a pizza place where their signature pizzas have like JRPG item style (baked with something [gutsy, smoky, etc]) in the prefacing the description.

lol that sounds cool

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

Lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wormskull posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Lol awesome

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Fungah! posted:

yeah xenoblade 2 kicks rear end but its about the most japanese pervert game i cn think of other than like the neptunia games lol. worth a look when you dont mind big titty anime babes tho, it's really good

I have it but it’s one of the ones that comes to mind that I’m trying to avoid right now.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Idk why I say JRPG style but I guess I think of it like you find some specialty shop that’s only in one place in the whole game like a Costa Del Sol style Story Pacing Changeup place. Or something like that.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Idk why I say JRPG style but I guess I think of it like you find some specialty shop that’s only in one place in the whole game like a Costa Del Sol style Story Pacing Changeup place. Or something like that.

(posted with gusto) lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Those pizzas sounds really good.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

this is the first boss of Dark Chronicle and it has a search light it uses to search for you that's a big

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

wild arms v the vth vanguard

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wild Arms 3 was I think the last JRPG I was really into. Other then when I streamed FFX.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i never played dark cloud because i didnt own a ps2 as a kid but i do now and i have both games sitting on an hdd, is the first game hard to get into and should i read some stuff first or just jump in and try it. it looks really attractive, something about the town building + jrpg combo really pulls me in every time

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Play Dark Chronicle instead (2 for you) they're not related and 2 does everything better. Also has a PS4 port so probably in HD on your HDD. town building ftw. I could never beat Sheriff Blinkhorn in a footrace and get him to move as a kid

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I’m bummed out by NNK because it’s the exact subject matter I want more or less but I hate the combat and walking around.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I finally threw in the towel on ni no Kuni last night. I was hoping at some point my party members would stop being so dumb but the tactics are useless. I loved the art direction and mending broken hearts but it’s not worth the grind of the combat

maybe I’m just a turn based rpg guy

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

For anyone who’s issue with NNK is just the combat you might want to check out the sequel, there’s not really any continuity between the two except that Ding Dong Dell exists in both, otherwise it’s all-new characters and stories so you don’t need to know what happened in the first game and they completely redid the gameplay to be an action-rpg. But it’s still got a ton of the first game’s charm

I know I basically said all this earlier in the thread but I wanted to specifically address the last couple people who liked everything but the combat

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I finally threw in the towel on ni no Kuni last night. I was hoping at some point my party members would stop being so dumb but the tactics are useless. I loved the art direction and mending broken hearts but it’s not worth the grind of the combat

maybe I’m just a turn based rpg guy

The original DS version of Ni no Kuni was turn-based, but for the PS3 version they changed it supposedly to give the game wider appeal. I still like the game but I wish there was an option to play it as turn-based because it'd be a lot better.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

There's a complete translation for the DS version and they even included a translated PDF of the gigantic spell tome that you need to play it. I'm thinking about checking it out

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/4068/

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
dq11 had me so jacked i paid for ni no kuni so i could keep the high going but imps are scaring me..

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ni no kuni kicks rear end but the combat isnt good. it's worth the money though imo

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
i didnt hate the combat in nnk1 despite the NPCs sucking rear end and not following directions, and i loved the pokemon type minigame of monster collecting

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Looking back I think I liked the first game better than the sequel. 2 does a lot of things better but kinda drops the ball on the magical world feeling. I still remember walking into Ding Dong Dell for the first time with my lil cape flowing behind me, it was awesome. Plus there were runes you had to decipher by using the huge rear end compendium in-game to complete certain sidequests etc. Just a fantastic setting. :hai:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The sequel does characters really well, even just random NPCs are charming and memorable and have a ton of personality. But yeah as far as the setting goes it’s a step back, I liked the water kingdom with the merpeople but that’s the only thing that really stands out in my memory.

The hugely reduced number of monster types is a bummer too. It had to happen to some degree when they axed the Pokemon aspect but all the monsters were a big part of what made the world of 1 so vibrant and it feels like in 2 they cut it down to like 10 monsters that just get recolored between areas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ghibli weren’t involved in the sequel right so none of their cutscenes etc are in it? That was a big part of the cozy gaming