Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

vulvamancer posted:

It's the euphemism treadmill. I heard some zoomers on twitch calling someone "differently abled" the other day as an insult.

rofl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
gently caress i missed the snipe i should jsut retire

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

CODChimera posted:

wait bimbo is banned? that's bullshit i like that word

he's right, i've yet to see a single instance of bimbo brand bread across the twitterverse

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

I follow a lot of disabled and neuro atypical people on twitter and their bigger thing is the use of the word "crazy" as a pejorative, and i do instead say "wild" or wtf or something. Theres a double effect in some words, that if they are taken as insulting at all they are that much more so taken.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot
Too many opinions, I need to consult an expert

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
borat made a joke about the word. i actually don't think he specifically ever said it but it was the central focus of the entire joke. none of that would have made any sense if you ddin't know what word he was referring to.

lol borat my wife

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Antonymous posted:

it (the R word adjective - His plan to fix the deficit is R******d) is the best hate word OP because it means diminished in potency, slowed, or regressed and it makes people fuming mad when you call them / their ideas that glibly, while other words with those meanings don't elicit much anger. it's also unfortunately a euphemism that replaced 'idiot' 'moron' 'cretin 'imbecile' and 'simple' as medical terminology and whatever in the 1960s and so gained a derogatory and medical connotation. I think calling someone (the R word noun - She is a R****d) sounds mean and crass and I don't like it because it's only sensible as an ableist slur and should be opposed. I remember, and I think thanks to South Park, that as a kid my classmates would call things they didn't like 'Gay' or 'Jewish' without them (my classmates) clearly connecting those terms to their literal meanings and the people who they represent, much like how many use the R word today, and I think it's good that the level of faux pas of those has, I think, eradicated them, and so ultimately my love for a word that I think is validly mocking wrong thinking to the highest level - and we need such a word - is not worth the expense of those who society deems wrong thinking by nature.
It's hosed up that medical professionals would take a perfectly good swear word and apply it to a specific group of people, but then it shouldn't be surprising giving what else they were up to in the 1960's. This whole debate is playing right into their hands, externalizing their guilt unto the public at large. They made them slurs, it's about time they take responsibility.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Call it what you want, but i really am a rascal sometimes

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

i started using thing like "terminal galaxybrain" and "smoothbrain" which attempts to get at same degree of extreme of stupidity w/o being AS offensive although maybe smoothbrain is im not catching flak for it yet but i am not so attached that id keep them if i did, there are many more insults 2 b found out there in the word jungle

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

I dont know if they ever quit with it or what but ya they autobanned it for a while at least like a year ago and it sucked :c

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

I dont know if they ever quit with it or what but ya they autobanned it for a while at least like a year ago and it sucked :c

it is merely another step in the project to dull our minds in the tightly-controlled netverse of tomorrow, where neither joy nor rage shall find stimulation in the coming intervoid

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

id maybe start even using poggers ironically in the same vein as calling the worst insults "gamer words" as in the sentence 'boy they sure do love their gamer words on ____ discord/group/etc''

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

man c-spam sure seems attached to this gamer word

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

bird. posted:

i started using thing like "terminal galaxybrain" and "smoothbrain" which attempts to get at same degree of extreme of stupidity w/o being AS offensive although maybe smoothbrain is im not catching flak for it yet but i am not so attached that id keep them if i did, there are many more insults 2 b found out there in the word jungle

Sorry, smooth brain is off limits according to some banned resetera user

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Eminem frequently raps the r word. At least he did 20 years ago. I’m not familiar with his more recent work.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am more inclined to think it has more fallen in line with the words idiot, imbecile, dumb, stupid, mudbrain i.e words that at one time referred to the disabled but now don't

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Dolphin posted:

idiot, imbecile, dumb, stupid, mudbrain

well this one's new

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

Whats funny is the word got banned not because of the ubiquity of itself, but the lib variant and potential for an even more vrulent trum variant

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot
"Mudbrain" sounds like a racist description of oral sex

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no one else says mudbrain?

like "drat that boy's got mudbrains, he's dumber than a tulip"

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Dolphin posted:

no one else says mudbrain?

like "drat that boy's got mudbrains, he's dumber than a tulip"

Fluoride Jones posted:

"Mudbrain" sounds like a racist description of oral sex

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

for a while my whole thing was calling people owls , telling them their mother had sex with an owl, etc

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I've just taken to calling people goobers.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

for a while my whole thing was calling people owls , telling them their mother had sex with an owl, etc

owls are cool though. i wish i was an owl

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

Do you wish there was an owl putting its little bird penis in your mother on the reg tho?

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

proably do son of an owl you

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
if you use "joe voters" no one gets offended and any stigma melts away

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OWLS DON'T HAVE DICKS

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Trump is an absolute goober.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

bird. posted:

actually there was a QCS thread about 'smoothbrain' it's a real thing apparently

can't remember what the outcome was but it was probably something really stupid

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

any expression meant to mock or insult someone's mental faculties is by its very nature ableist and it does seem a little pointless to single out the "r-word" over the many other repurposed medical terms such as "dumb", "stupid", "idiot", "moron", "imbecile", "cretin" etc.

e: Signed, Maya Fey (this is where i signed my post)

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
use of it isnt damning, its just kinda sucky to say, so i don't

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maya Fey posted:

any expression meant to mock or insult someone's mental faculties is by its very nature ableist and it does seem a little pointless to single out the "r-word" over the many other repurposed medical terms such as "dumb", "stupid", "idiot", "moron", "imbecile", "cretin" etc.

e: Signed, Maya Fey (this is where i signed my post)
it isn't really insulting someone's mental faculties though, it's used to insult someone's wrong opinions in a way that implies their bad opinions are a result of their deficient mental faculties but both parties are somewhat aware that insultee's mental faculties are not being directly accused

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Fluoride Jones posted:

Flashing back to when there was genuine internet-wide discourse over how ableist words like stupid and idiot were. Thank you president Biden for returning America to its past glory :patriot:

lame ftw

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

describing someones brain as a limp and soggy cumrag, for instabce, is trying to say that instead of regular brain they have cumrag brain

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Dolphin posted:

it isn't really insulting someone's mental faculties though, it's used to insult someone's wrong opinions in a way that implies their bad opinions are a result of their deficient mental faculties but both parties are somewhat aware that insultee's mental faculties are not being directly accused

it's not racist to call someone the n word because it's meant to insult their skill as a gamer and they're not even black.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
This thread is perfect, check out my rap sheet lol. Anyways, literally any word is offensive in the same vein as retarded. dumb, stupid. its like let's try to replace it with "donkey brains" we all know what it means. And like I said, theres no word for dumb that wont eventually become offensive. not comparable to slurs in that way.

Edit: actually I got probed for saying bitch not retard lol. my bad

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Mirello posted:

This thread is perfect, check out my rap sheet lol. Anyways, literally any word is offensive in the same vein as retarded. dumb, stupid. its like let's try to replace it with "donkey brains" we all know what it means. And like I said, theres no word for dumb that wont eventually become offensive. not comparable to slurs in that way.

thank you for your service

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Mirello posted:

they should've sent a poet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
The R word stigma is basically hitting the limit of social penetration. Literally the only people I know who are afraid of it are idpol people with brokebrains and dipshits who work with them on a regular basis afraid of social backlash. I mean I can't predict the future but I imagine the stigma against it will eventually roll back from it's continued common use, but that it will still be a thing for a subgroup of ultrawokes to complain about.

Cumtown wont censor it, you've basically just lost.