Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

any expression meant to mock or insult someone's mental faculties is by its very nature ableist and it does seem a little pointless to single out the "r-word" over the many other repurposed medical terms such as "dumb", "stupid", "idiot", "moron", "imbecile", "cretin" etc.

e: Signed, Maya Fey (this is where i signed my post)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Dolphin posted:

it isn't really insulting someone's mental faculties though, it's used to insult someone's wrong opinions in a way that implies their bad opinions are a result of their deficient mental faculties but both parties are somewhat aware that insultee's mental faculties are not being directly accused

it's not racist to call someone the n word because it's meant to insult their skill as a gamer and they're not even black.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Mirello posted:

This thread is perfect, check out my rap sheet lol. Anyways, literally any word is offensive in the same vein as retarded. dumb, stupid. its like let's try to replace it with "donkey brains" we all know what it means. And like I said, theres no word for dumb that wont eventually become offensive. not comparable to slurs in that way.

Edit: actually I got probed for saying bitch not retard lol. my bad

thank you for your service

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Dolphin posted:

You shouldn't equate the n word and the r word.

i'm not. the point is that the r word is ableist by definition, just like the n word is racist in and of itself. you're still using a medical term for mentally challenged people as a pejorative regardless of who the target is.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Dolphin posted:

You did, and it isn't even in the same arena.

It's the same thing as calling a clumsy person a gimp, which while not totally polite to people with leg issues, is not some giant act of bigotry.

nobody cares where you put ableism on your bigotry tier list, that wasn't the question here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Dolphin posted:

:ok:

The question was that you appear to be completely clueless and tone deaf and you're attempting to mask it with your wokeness on the topic of ableism.

you sound m*d