Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hello shootgoons. I've been cleaning out my dad's house after his death and have run across a few guns. I know there's at least one more in a storage unit that I haven't found yet. Since I'm planning to move back out of the US when all this is over I'm not planning to keep any of these so I'm trying to figure out what they're worth. My gun experience is just shooting at ranges, I don't know poo poo about buying/selling/collecting guns. I've googled these but I have no idea if I have something that's actually a special collector's item I'm missing or not.

This one I already posted about in the AK thread but didn't include a pic. Complete, all original pre-ban Chinese type 56. I have the box and everything, though the box itself is in rough shape. This is worth a few thousand from what I could tell?

Next is this guy. Far as I can tell it's just a bog standard 9mm, worth a few hundred.

Then there's this comically tiny 25 caliber Astra Cub. Again appears to just be a few hundred bucks and nothing special.

Now the weird poo poo.

This fuckin Mauser. I have absolutely no idea what's going on here and is the main reason I'm posting. I don't even know where to begin figuring out if this is something special or just bizarre garbage. Tell me of the guns!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Testing A Thingtm for HGB

The mauser is a C96 that it looks like someone scrubbed all the finish off of and put some sweetheart grips on. It's not much of a collectable, but even in garbage condition those go for $800+.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

I gotta be honest, here.

That Mauser is loving badass.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Captain Log posted:

I gotta be honest, here.

That Mauser is loving badass.

Somebody in GWS chat said it was the kind of thing a villain in an Indiana Jones movie should be carrying and I like it a lot more now.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Grand Fromage posted:

Somebody in GWS chat said it was the kind of thing a villain in an Indiana Jones movie should be carrying and I like it a lot more now.

Hey Cyrano, what are sweetheart grips? I've got an idea, but I want you to tell me if I'm wrong or not.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Cyrano4747 posted:

The mauser is a C96 that it looks like someone scrubbed all the finish off of and put some sweetheart grips on. It's not much of a collectable, but even in garbage condition those go for $800+.

To expand on this, it looks to be a standard commercial model made before or during WWI. Caliber should be 7.63mm but it might have been bored out to 9mm at some point. It doesn't look completely trashed despite the missing finish. How does the bore look, and is there damage behind the bolt stop? The bolt stop is the thing sticking out on the right side just below the rear sight and ahead of the bolt's grasping tabs. If the metal behind the bolt stop is peened or bowed rearwards, the gun has been shot with weak springs and/or hot ammo and the barrel assembly would need to be repaired or replaced.

Grand Fromage posted:

Marion used one (briefly) during the bar fight in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Some of the Cruciform Sword dudes in the Venice sequences from Last Crusade also used them. And, of course, so did Han Solo.

Captain Log posted:

Hey Cyrano, what are sweetheart grips? I've got an idea, but I want you to tell me if I'm wrong or not.

That's where you take off the regular grips, cut new grips out of transparent plastic, and stick a photo of your sweetheart under them.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Somebody Awful posted:

That's where you take off the regular grips, cut new grips out of transparent plastic, and stick a photo of your sweetheart under them.

That's exactly what I thought, but I didn't see any picture in the grips. I see that lucite material a lot in trench art and war mementos.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Captain Log posted:

That's exactly what I thought, but I didn't see any picture in the grips. I see that lucite material a lot in trench art and war mementos.

Yeah thats sweetheart grips man!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

A friend of mine, through the exact same situation, found his dad's Polytech AK-47, the exact same AK with the same goddamn stock and spike bayonet, and after refusing to sell it to me, sold it a month later (xmas) to some random buttmonkey for $1200 to fund an iPad for his girlfriend.

I managed to save his dad's early Colt SP1 from the same fate but I still secretly despise him and hope he gets his legs broken over the loss of that AK.

Don't be like my friend, or at least if you are, make sure you sell that AK to me to buy your ladyfriend's iPad and not some random dude.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Just curious, where are you located?

I've been thinking about buying a C96 and Bob needs a friend

Sorry to hear about your dad. Mine is moving into a memory care facility this weekend and is on his way out of this world too.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Clear instruction to cut the hammer down right there but it still hasn't been done all these years what is going on?