Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

New made in america EO today. The EO is federal purchasing contract focused and unrelated, to the best of my knowledge, to the FTC regs on "made in america" claims.

Did a bit of a deep dive.

First this EO rescinds several other Trump EOs. It's hard to tell if those Trump EOs did anything since there is already a bunch of 'made in america' law already existing and mostly they seem to make noise about 'strongly supporting' and I don't see a lot of specific actions to be taken.

The Biden EO, in comparison, at least has some actual actions. The most significant of which is to create:

quote:

The Made in America Office shall be headed by a Director of the Made in America Office (Made in America Director), who shall be appointed by the Director of OMB

And then this office handles the waiver applications and determinations of what applies/doesn't apply for purposes of the existing laws. Another significant action is directing the Made In America Director to find suitable US companies to fulfill purchases where appropriate and using an existing scouting program, which sounds pretty good.

I personally, have run into 'made in america' laws (FARs/DFARs), and they mostly seem to apply to sourcing raw materials like steel and aluminum for manufacturing which seems pretty consistent with some of the text here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU