Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

axeil posted:

D1-8. Require ethics pledge for executive-branch personnel

This one bans:

-Gifts from lobbyists
-An incoming revolving door ban (ban on involvement with work related to former employer for at least 2 years and ban on any work related to anything one lobbied for if one was a registered lobbyist). It also effectively bans employment by lobbyists (unless more than 2 years has passed since their last lobbying action).
-An outgoing revolving door ban (prohibition on working in related areas for 2 years after leaving federal service)
-Golden parachute ban (appointees cannot receive payments from their former employer tied to coming to work for the government)

Funny enough, these policies have always been in-place for the regular. career-level staff, this just applies it to appointees.

source: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/20/executive-order-ethic-commitments-by-executive-branch-personnel/

I wonder what the chances are of getting this passed as law? It seems like a good thing that a future Trump 2.0 would need to explicitly sign an "enabling corruption" EO to rescind this, but would that actually gain traction in the press and public discourse?

I'm also curious about the extent to which political appointees complied with this in the past out of decorum. I know Trump was pretty blatant about appointing industry lobbyists to run the agencies supposed to regulate their industries, but how much did the revolving door happen with Dubya, Obama or Clinton?

Edit: from that article evilweasel linked:

John Podesta posted:

“I don’t think it’s fair to say that most of what Trump did can be undone in an afternoon. It’s going to take at least ten days”

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU