Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DysonProgram/status/1366676382928039938?s=19

Oh thank god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The save file growth appears to happen when you lay out your sphere plan, rather than when you actually build it. I had a Dyson ring planned at 50k distance, which grew my file to 109 MB.

I completed the ring without planning any other pieces, and the file size only grew by a few percent.

Then I designed the plan for the rest of the sphere, and it ballooned my save file up to 510 MB.

A couple dozen hours later, I've now built about a third of the remaining sphere, and we're only up a few more megabytes.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

WhiteHowler posted:

The save file growth appears to happen when you lay out your sphere plan, rather than when you actually build it. I had a Dyson ring planned at 50k distance, which grew my file to 109 MB.

I completed the ring without planning any other pieces, and the file size only grew by a few percent.

Then I designed the plan for the rest of the sphere, and it ballooned my save file up to 510 MB.

A couple dozen hours later, I've now built about a third of the remaining sphere, and we're only up a few more megabytes.

thats good to hear - i designed and just started a sparse max size sphere, and it added like 100mb to my save - glad to hear that wont keep increasing
7000 rockets down just another 65000 to go

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

awesmoe posted:

just another 65000 to go

Same...ish :shepicide:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
thats a lot of lil ships
i think someone did the maths and sparse spheres are just better? unless you're drawing dicks, or want to do it just because. or to absorb sails faster. or because they're better in terms of per-resource efficiency, and per-resource efficiency is for cowards
anyway godspeed

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Yeah I made a very large mistake making my first sphere huge.

Rockets not awful...but.....the solar sails...oh man.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I think I have to go through and delete all my logistics towers. That's a better solution compared to starting over.

I have stuff just taking and moving from towers without it ever sitting long enough to be used consistently.

I'm excited because my mall now has most everything being built except fusion plants and the MPC.

Again, game of the freaking year!

*edit - the KSP player in me loves pointing at a planet, hitting max speed, and just lithobreaking right into action.

Grevlek fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 3, 2021

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

I kinda bailed out of the game before my sphere got completed because i was getting a bit burned out.

This will help get me to come back to it again, though it would be cool if they also implemented a drone construction process too.

So, basically, you could jet off to a planet and lay out the blueprints for everything you want across it. Conveyors, smelters, assemblers, solar power belts, whatever. Then you drop a construction logistics tower stuffed with drones that build everything on said planet once the tower has been supplied with the appropriate materials.

You'd still have to do the legwork of planning out the planet, but it would cut down on a lot of the tedium whilst making logical use of the game mechanics already in play. There'd probably need to be some tweaks to building construction so it acted more like a city builder game where new building foundations stored the required components until it has all it needs to be constructed though.

I kinda like the idea of setting up a huge planet and then just sitting back and watching it slowly come to life.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Grevlek posted:

I'm having a hard time getting lenses, because I'm short strange matter, because I'm short purple cans, because I'm short green engines, because I'm short regular engines, because I'm short magnets and gears.
And you’re short magnets because you’re short of iron ore.

The first drat thing you dug out of the ground.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1364991556198031361

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Grevlek posted:

*edit - the KSP player in me loves pointing at a planet, hitting max speed, and just lithobreaking right into action.

Okay I laughed pretty hard at "Lithobraking"

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I'm a bit torn on blueprints. Yes I can see the appeal but it seems to reduce the game to 'this is the most efficient way to build x, just copy and paste it in'

Why even bother playing of all you are is the physical button to setting a blueprint down? It kind of ruins factorio for me getting into it so late when there isnt anything to discover. Build this ratio, nothing else

Planet sizes being the same, you can ignore everything on it. If you are sending everything from a factory world being fed orr, who cares if you have over < million stone or something?

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
I like sparing my mouse needless clicking. Busywork for the sake if busywork is not fun, automate all the things.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One of the trends with this sort of game is that you start out doing things by hand, then you automate it, and you use the automation to shift your conceptual investment up a level.

When you start you might be wondering about the logistics of belting iron from a patch to your factory, eventually you are simply debating what is the most efficient planet to set up mines on so you don't have to do it any more and picking preferred planets to stage your sphere construction from.

There should, ideally, be mechanics that open up as a result of the conceptual upshift, but failing that being able to automate tasks can allow you to just shift your attention to other things.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I intentionally stop myself from importing blueprints between saves in Factorio because, yes, that does ruin a lot of the fun for me. I know people who start Factorio by stamping down blueprint ghosts from previous saves and then play paint by numbers exactly as they did 5 times before: more power to them but that just sounds incredibly boring to me. I intentionally try to change designs for things like circuit assembly lines between different saves.

I also stopped playing my first DSP game when my sphere was maybe 2/3:ds done because scaling up beyond the 1.5ish science/second and 10ish rockets/second I finished the game on involved mostly taking a bunch of designs I'd already made and scaling them up by 10x in a massive orgy of repetitive sorter clicking (the copy mod wasn't a thing yet). Switching to blueprinting sections shifts the logistic puzzle focus from small scale assembly line design to large-scale systems balancing which is an interesting change of pace and it feels very satisfying as you start to make huge things. Sure, it wears out its welcome eventually, but it extends the gameplay quite nicely until then.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Roundboy posted:

Holy crap I finally caught up on some francias john DSP videos and he took the mall concept to a whole new level, going from 'mall' to an entire forge world.

really taking advantage of ships just moving items from tower to tower it seems almost easy to get massive builds going

I've been watching some other people besides Francis John to get some ideas, and Nilaus has been doing some crazy big builds for stuff. I think he's doing 30/second white science, so he's got one planet that is mostly just research stations and belts to feed them cubes. He also has an amazingly cool setup for a hub that you can show up to a planet with nothing but one tower, and build an entire planet based off what you bring in from there. He has a tutorial on a mall setup to support that, and it's surprisingly compact and cool as poo poo.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
My desire for blueprints has gone down very drastically since the copy inserters mod became useable and stable.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Owl Fancier says it perfectly, but I'll write some words in agreement anyway.

First you automate making raw materials and hand crank buildings. Then you automate making buildings so you don't have to hand crank them. Then you automate putting down buildings so you don't have to hand place every building and belt and sorter.

Then you can think about bigger and bigger goals and what things your factory needs to achieve to reach them, without hand building thousands of the same smelting modules.

Once you've designed your perfect (or good enough) oil processing set up, what utility is there in having to replicate it 20 times to scale up to the volume of output you need.

When I play factorio, I don't much enjoy anything before that final conceptual level. Anything I'm doing before that is just to get to that point. I'll tweak and improve my blueprints as I encounter new situations, but generally I'm just slapping down blueprints, tweaking stuff, and loving it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

My desire for blueprints has gone down very drastically since the copy inserters mod became useable and stable.

Very true, it's a big help.

I have a pretty standard format for my smelter lines, my 2-, 3-, 4- ingredient product lines - laying down an x-ray cracking set up is always a chore - so not having to repeat that over and over will be nice.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Anything that cuts down on meaningless busywork is a must for me.

Prototyping an assembly line takes effort. Filling the same design out to a belt of production is mindless clickspam.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Ambaire posted:

Prototyping an assembly line takes effort. Filling the same design out to a belt of production is mindless clickspam.

This.

I have come up with factory styles that I like. For example, every smelter zone on my smelting world is basically identical. If I want to add to one of them, it's going to look exactly the same as the previous one.

With no mods or blueprints, building a single row of my smelter layout with a triple belt (two output, one input) takes 146 clicks. It's going to be the same 146 clicks every time, perhaps in a slightly different order. And some extra clicks, because dammit, I was a pixel off clicking that sorter endpoint and have to replace it.

I'd rather click a blueprint once, drop a smelter row or three, and move on to the next of the endless fires I'd rather be putting out.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I guess my gripe on blueprints are as mentioned are the people that plop down the end game factory and just fill it in. But that is something you have to do, and if you play like that, it's on you.

Francis john had me realize that if you put everything on the network, you just need to plop a tower pull the stuff needed for that assembly, and feed the result right back on the network. Run low on x? Feed a other tower

Katherine of sky was interesting because I like the playstyle of not paving over the world and build to the environment, but gently caress the earth if I need 3 more squares I'm filling it in

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

awesmoe posted:

for people in late endgame (Mr Scumbag et al) how big are your save files getting?

Just under 95MB for me, but I have yet to start on a sphere.

Edit: Late to the party.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 4, 2021

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

My save file is 175M. I have one massive dyson sphere completed.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ambaire posted:

Yup. I too have a same assembly-smelting belt. It's just tedious to set it up although copy+paste inserters is a HUGE help (it does have some problems and it doesn't have flip/mirror option). Likewise I have a pretty rad setup to take oil into a 3x X assembly of oil refineries using oil -> refined + hydro -> 2 x-ray cracking) on a loop and with the loopback belts and stuff it's a massive massive pain to keep dropping them down and I'm not even close to using up a belt of oil even with about 20 columns of refineries outputting pure hydro + graphite. Those are probably the two big ones and just being able to click down a mass of miners and hook it up to a blueprint of smelters would save a lot of time.

I ended up just letting my original planet rot away and outsourced various production, like an oil heavy planet making infinite plastic + graphite + hydro + red cubes, another planet (was pure water lol) with a shitton of spiniform and about 500 chemical plants making infinite carbon nanotubes, another for orange chips/misc chips/blue plasma containers and moved my main base onto the farthest flung planet that has Unipolar Magnent + Pink Crystals + 10 million ore patches each and bringing in most stuff. I kinda regret this tho because I'm building a sphere but with only one planet in the system I'm not takin advantage of it to make enough antimatter. I probably should have picked another system with one tidally locked planet that I could sphere up and use that for shitton of antimatter.

also no matter what I do, I cannot make enough blue chips god drat. i can get a zillion everything else. but blue chips, gently caress u. partly because kasmir crystals take so much hydrogen that you can only belt up a handful of them and then need a shitton of titanium glass into the tempered glass. i should prob just find another pink crystal planet and make that solely into producing kasmir crystals

kinda feeling like I should shelf the game for now though. pretty much have 2 complete (smallish default) spheres even though my white production sucks and only up to about lvl9-10 in the white-chain upgrades

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I set up a massive dyson-sphere making assembly on a 2.3 luminosity giant, with the world sitting just inside the ring's radius. It's going to be rad. But I haven't scaled up my sail or rocket production at all from my baby's first sphere, so it got the backlog of ten thousand rockets and sails from a few full towers, and is now puttering along slowly adding 2 rockets/s and like 10 sails/s or something tiny like that.

Instead of fixing this problem, I've been purpose building science worlds to make a single blue belt of each science. Green, purple, and blue are down. Red and yellow should be pretty straightforward. Though I probably need to go add some alternate paths to my green line since I don't know if I have enough kasimir magic production mines out there to bypass the green engine stage...

But in the end it's going to be so nice to have 30 white science/s.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
God dang, how rare are tidal locked planets in this game? I've been scouring all the blue stars in my cluster and I've yet to find out. Got a ton of reverse-rotation and orbital resonance 1:4 planets, but haven't spotted a single one that's tidal locked, yet. I just want a planet with a high-luminosity star that will keep the face pointed at it so I can have maximum sail launch and continuous power draw.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I see Nasa is cheating and starting with mkIII belts already.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
poo poo can get real busy.

Screenshots never come close to doing justice to the sheer number of drones flying around in every conceivable direction, though. There are so many. I just throw 50 in every tower. So much avoided spaghetti.

Edit: Supply depot done. Still have to automate a bunch of things, though.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 4, 2021

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Small update this morning!

quote:

Hi Engineers!

Here comes our first update in March. And, an important functional update is also coming soon!

[Version 0.6.17.5827]

Feature:
From now on, the savedata will also save its creator's ID. The players will be able to see the savedata creator's ID in the right upper corner of the game.

Improved some UI interactive SFX.

Changes:
Data reduction of Dyson shell. The length of archive data generated by Dyson shell is reduced by 50% ~ 60%, and the save/load time is reduced by 20% ~ 30%.

Data reduction of Sorters and Assemblers.

The research materials won't be returned immediately after the research list is suspended. This change is made to avoid the loss of items caused by the logic of "No item will be returned for fractions of a count".

The scene at the end of the prologue is improved.

Now you can storage/pick fluid items manually and check the information of fluid items.

Optimized the description of some items and technologies.

Bugfix:
Fixed the bug that huge amounts of Mini-suns and Storages may made your planet flickering too much.

Fixed the bug that the first frame of the game is incorrect by modifing the loading process.

Fixed the bug that sometimes the mecha may fell into the land after skipped the prologue.

Fixed the bug in calculating the quantity of items when held Ctrl to operate items in Fractionator.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

:clint:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My savegame went from 527 MB to 252 MB, so that's a pretty good reduction!

Save time still takes a while though. I recently turned my autosave frequency from 8 minutes up to 20 minutes, and I don't think I'm ready to turn it back yet. I manually save whenever I make significant changes anyway.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

canepazzo posted:

I see Nasa is cheating and starting with mkIII belts already.

That astronaut that spent 15 years at school and 7 training just to watch regolith wiz by on a robot. They're even in the slouched virgin pose.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Anyone else get an unpleasant pushback effect when dropping out of warp too close to a planet?

I’ll be trucking towards a planet at 12.5 Au/s, drop out of warp, then start receding from the planet at 100 m/s. If you hammer on the accelerate button you eventually will start landing again, but it feels like a magnetic force is opposing you.

Once I ran out of fuel before I could land and got pushed back away from the planet so far I just warped in again.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Just a heads up the new update seems to break if you are using a mod called 'smart tanks'

It's fixed if you remove it just posting from what I saw on discord

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

WhiteHowler posted:

My savegame went from 527 MB to 252 MB, so that's a pretty good reduction!

Save time still takes a while though. I recently turned my autosave frequency from 8 minutes up to 20 minutes, and I don't think I'm ready to turn it back yet. I manually save whenever I make significant changes anyway.

Yeah, it's a lot of data to write about each and every solar sail and planned dyson sphere node. I honestly think the way they handle data is super impressive. The saves seem huge, but it seems like it's a huge contiguous array they are saving and loading, so when you create the dyson sphere plan it allocates all the memory with a big array of zeros that it fills in as time goes on. That's seems a bit inefficient, but it also means there's never any issue with loading the visuals or updating it.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Also, for people wanting to figure out how to plan their next moves, there's the mod Star Sector Resource Spreadsheet Generator that gets the information about the stars and planets and resources in your entire sector and dumps it into a csv. So if you are dying to know which planets are tidally locked, look no further.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'm thrilled about the save time reduction. I have enough storage space that constantly overwriting the single 400 mb save isn't killing me (though jesus that's a big save), but the lengthy save times is annoying.

I'm also pretty jazzed they're continuing to optimize and update the game. It's so good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They're gonna break copyinserters I know it :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

zoux posted:

They're gonna break copyinserters I know it :ohdear:
It will be fixed if it ever breaks. Its code is very simple and multiple people contribute to it.

I wish they'd fix that using wasd to pan in god mode stops queued movement. Actually, I wish they'd make panning in god mode better in general. Maybe a "return to mech" key OR just toggle to non-god mode key which would do the same thing, edge scrolling speed adjustment, wasd scrolling speed adjustment, etc.