Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

zoux posted:

Recognize that the railgun orbit targeting mechanic is stupid and unfun and doesn't make any sense and get the auto targeting mod, enjoy 4 GW of energy. Or build a poo poo load of fake suns and coat the poles of your planets in solar panels.

people have already talked up the benefits of perpetual day/night planets in this thread, but one of their additional benefits is easy 100% uptime on railguns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Venuz Patrol posted:

people have already talked up the benefits of perpetual day/night planets in this thread, but one of their additional benefits is easy 100% uptime on railguns

So I've heard. Haven't lucked out enough to find one yet.

Considering whether this energy exchanger array is even worth it vs just shipping the antimatter rods somewhere and running the stars there. Making them so slowly (while using my entire sphere output and then some) that the logistics ships will easily have an hour+ between them... but maybe the transport density will make up for it, and I suppose I can always just adjust the load requirement down and hope my power supplies don't collapse still. This is apparently the hell part of designing things.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SkyeAuroline posted:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Considering whether this energy exchanger array is even worth it vs just shipping the antimatter rods somewhere and running the stars there. Making them so slowly (while using my entire sphere output and then some) that the logistics ships will easily have an hour+ between them... but maybe the transport density will make up for it, and I suppose I can always just adjust the load requirement down and hope my power supplies don't collapse still. This is apparently the hell part of designing things.

A hold's worth of antimatter rods is substantially more energetic than a hold's worth of accumulators. In general I've found that accumulator setups are decent as long as you remember to eventually cut off the supply of new-manufacture empties to the interstellar network, but if you're going to be doing more than mining and charging logistics when an ore freighter dusts off you probably want another option partially in place and with the supplies to expand it, in case this turns out to be the weakest link in your network once things go under more load than you'd imagined when you initially designed them.

Every world where you're doing heavy lifting needs that contingency poo poo in place, and if you're already doing it anyway...