Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
180 degrees is the opposite end of the planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Kazzah posted:

180 degrees is the opposite end of the planet

Well.. problem solved!

My very smart brain thought 180 is half of a circle, so naturally one hemisphere of range.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Scoss posted:

Well.. problem solved!

My very smart brain thought 180 is half of a circle, so naturally one hemisphere of range.

Yeah, it's probably a translating goof.

My multi-ring art installation is going to take HALF A MILLION structure points to complete, and I can't even calculate how many cells it's going to require. For the latter half of the design process, I was largely clicking by trust that it was landing on the right spot and then adjusting if I filled in the cell sections and one was lopsided. Here's the design image.

And here's what it looks like after a full day (with an intermittent rocket supply).

I realized that this was what I had to do after I initially had a series of sail rings and realized that it would be infinitely more cool if you could actually see them revolving against each other.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Scoss posted:

If you want to move a resource further than 180 degrees around the planet through logistics, is there a better solution than two towers next to each other, one demanding and belt feeding into the next one set to supply? Seems like a really clunky way to build a relay station but It's all I can come up with.

I'm going to lol at you, but keep in mind that I was also originally confused.

lol

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Scoss posted:

Well.. problem solved!

Think of it as "you may travel this many degrees from your starting point in any direction." Once you pass 180 degrees away, distance starts counting down again.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Scoss posted:

Well.. problem solved!

I had the same confusion.
Feature request: priority settings for logistics stations. Magnet stock eternally empty as my iron smelters eat my entire ore supply.

e: new patch just now

quote:

Version 0.6.17.6112

Features:

• Added system framework of item drop/pick up

• Optimized the Assembler GPU Rendering cost by adding the LOD1 and LOD2 to rendering detail levels

• Optimized the models of logistics drones and vessels and the rendering costs on GPU

Changes:

• You won't loss your items due to "Inventory is full" anymore. Instead, they will fall on the ground or float in the space!

Bugfix:

• Fixed a bug that mecha walking may be interrupted when pressing S from the perspective of God in the Construction Mode

• Fixed the bug that the customized celestial bodies' names may not be updated in the production statistics panel

• Fixed a bug that a facility may be built in the wrong place because of the failure of the calculating of building placement distance

• Fixed the bug that it may report an error when the Logistics Station is dismantled"

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 1, 2021

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I still don't understand the 180 degree thing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's a description only a geometry expert would love. They should add a visual to those settings.

It's as hard and as easy as you can visit anywhere in the world moving 180 degrees or less. If it helps think of it more like %. 180 degree limit is covering 100% of the world. Anything less covers geometrically less.

E. I am sure as a slider it makes the most amount of sense in their internal technical radial geometry grid

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug
Imagine a protractor. 180 degrees. That's one half of your planet. Any other possible degrees are less than 180. Now flip the protractor upside down. 180 degrees. That's the other half of your planet. Again, all other possible numbers are less than 180. Setting the logistics towers to 180 degrees means the drones cover the whole planet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok but does anyone ever gently caress with that? Why would you?

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug
Hell no. Leave that poo poo at 180 and forget about it baby! If you ever need to change it, you probably have a very specific reason as to why and already know what you're doing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

zoux posted:

Ok but does anyone ever gently caress with that? Why would you?
I have absolutely no need for it but it was a small controversy it wasn't there at launch. But the idea is by limiting range and not making it a global free for all you can couple specific supply chains together tighter which can theoretically smooth distribution of a limited resource or allow priority movement of materials through more important supply chains. Or do stuff like product A uses interplanetary ore and product B uses local ore.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

zedprime posted:

It's a description only a geometry expert would love. They should add a visual to those settings.

It's as hard and as easy as you can visit anywhere in the world moving 180 degrees or less. If it helps think of it more like %. 180 degree limit is covering 100% of the world. Anything less covers geometrically less.

E. I am sure as a slider it makes the most amount of sense in their internal technical radial geometry grid

Pick a direction, walk that many degrees. Do this for every direction. At 180 opposing directions meet on the opposite side of the planet.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

zedprime posted:

I have absolutely no need for it but it was a small controversy it wasn't there at launch. But the idea is by limiting range and not making it a global free for all you can couple specific supply chains together tighter which can theoretically smooth distribution of a limited resource or allow priority movement of materials through more important supply chains. Or do stuff like product A uses interplanetary ore and product B uses local ore.

I think it might be relevant if you have a setup where your factories are pulling multiple T3 belts worth of materials from a single tower. A tower can't have more incoming transfers than would fill it to storage capacity, so it's possible for the tower to run empty while already having 5/10k material en route. Which would make the factories stall.

You'd fix it by making several nearby supply towers and setting the factory tower's range to only reach as far as those supply towers.

Ornedan fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 1, 2021

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

quote:

Fixed a bug that mecha walking may be interrupted when pressing S from the perspective of God in the Construction Mode

Excellent, this was a really frustrating bug!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Somebody send help, this game is taking control of my life. My home planet is a nightmare. My demand for graphene is appears insatiable. I just kinda let oil do its thing and hope it works (spoiler: it doesn't). My early mining nodes are beginning to deplete. I feel like I need to review my production line from top to bottom.

But I did explore another star system and it was rad as hell. Even set up a rudimentary trade route for some rare resources with some manually crafted warpers. Maybe all this fireice can help me with my graphene woes. Setting up a quantum chip production chain feels like a herculean task still though.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

SettingSun posted:

Somebody send help, this game is taking control of my life. My home planet is a nightmare. My demand for graphene is appears insatiable. I just kinda let oil do its thing and hope it works (spoiler: it doesn't). My early mining nodes are beginning to deplete. I feel like I need to review my production line from top to bottom.

But I did explore another star system and it was rad as hell. Even set up a rudimentary trade route for some rare resources with some manually crafted warpers. Maybe all this fireice can help me with my graphene woes. Setting up a quantum chip production chain feels like a herculean task still though.

Fire Ice solves all graphene needs and it's pretty common.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

SettingSun posted:

I've got to expand my blue chip production soonish. As far as I can tell, every assembler on blue chips requires 4 assemblers on plane filters, 1.333 on Casimir crystals, and 1.666 on titanium glass (plus production lines for orange chips and graphene, but I assume you've got those elsewhere).

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Kazzah posted:

I've got to expand my blue chip production soonish. As far as I can tell, every assembler on blue chips requires 4 assemblers on plane filters, 1.333 on Casimir crystals, and 1.666 on titanium glass (plus production lines for orange chips and graphene, but I assume you've got those elsewhere).

Assuming you're using MkIII assemblers, belts, and sorters for everything, 1 assembler on blue chips needs all this to run.

If I'm reading the dang flow graph right(still getting used to it) then in order to satisfy 1 assembler working on blue chips full time, you need 60 iron ore, 240 silicon, 90 copper, 300 titanium, 120 water, 180 stone, and 370 crude oil per minute at the very base. Running through all the processes that take those materials and make them into blue chips.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Blue chips suck to make. There is no getting around it really. Make sure to make your life a little bit easier and get lines of fire ice, optical crystals and organic crystals going. Those will all simplify your casimir production immensely. My end game casimir factory was setup so that half of it was setup to take optical crystals (which replace titanium crystals in the recipe) and the other half takes in straight mined organic crystals (which replaces any need to refine oil). Then fire ice is great for providing both graphene and a little bit of hydrogen, although you'll still be importing an absolute buttload of hydrogen. I went around dumping mines on every organic crystal and optical crystal vein I knew of just to avoid having to refine more oil.

Plane filters suck to make, but not in the same way as casimir crystals. They suck just because you need so loving many of them.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

neogeo0823 posted:

Assuming you're using MkIII assemblers, belts, and sorters for everything, 1 assembler on blue chips needs all this to run.

If I'm reading the dang flow graph right(still getting used to it) then in order to satisfy 1 assembler working on blue chips full time, you need 60 iron ore, 240 silicon, 90 copper, 300 titanium, 120 water, 180 stone, and 370 crude oil per minute at the very base. Running through all the processes that take those materials and make them into blue chips.

Uh, if those wattage numbers are correct, running my four MkIIIs making blue chips, until the tower buffers filled anyway, accounted for 1/8th of my homeworld's current maximum power generation. Plus standby/trip drain from logistics.

...well, actually all smelting and mining is offplanet at this point, except like 150k of copper remaining at home. That's down to 41.5MW per, and also most of the power demand here comes from a bunch of oil handling which I have in place but set to be drawn from only if the alternate chains aren't satisfying demand. Call it eight, nine percent.

I haven't seen any screenshots in the thread of anyone attempting this, but my smelting world is probably 2/3ds covered with wind turbines (looks like it has hair from orbit), and everything on it is powered by the 150%-strength wind; there are also 10 accumulator charging stations there hooked into logistics, which is what I used to power the outpost worlds I set up in my first two expansion systems, except for a forest place which had winds of equal strength. All told it's just under 450MW of capacity, and as of this last session it has installations including for on-planeting ores and off-planeting ingots or friendly circles enough to produce 120/s Graphite, 150/s Copper, 120/s Silicon, 180/s of Iron, and 240/s Magnets. Everything else which can be smelted is done there including Steel, but the rest of it has been set-and-forget without ever a need for expansion.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
How many launchers and photon collectors do you use per sphere? I have an equatorial belt of sail EM and about 16 photon collectors. Do I need more EM launchers?

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Evil SpongeBob posted:

How many launchers and photon collectors do you use per sphere? I have an equatorial belt of sail EM and about 16 photon collectors. Do I need more EM launchers?

You can check the power production of the sphere against how many collectors are using it, it'll show power demand / sphere production. For EM rails, you want to saturate the nodes on your sphere design. Each node can accumulate a set amount of sails at once, if you see all the launched sails turning blue when they hit orbit it means you can add more launchers. If they stay orange and orbit the star you have enough.

This is on a tidally locked world, It's possible to build more collectors but everything else in the system can't use more photons or power.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Betterstats updated with

ANd jesus christ its the most useful thing ever

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Blorange posted:

You can check the power production of the sphere against how many collectors are using it, it'll show power demand / sphere production. For EM rails, you want to saturate the nodes on your sphere design. Each node can accumulate a set amount of sails at once, if you see all the launched sails turning blue when they hit orbit it means you can add more launchers. If they stay orange and orbit the star you have enough.

This is on a tidally locked world, It's possible to build more collectors but everything else in the system can't use more photons or power.

The system I mentioned earlier that I'm strip mining and storing all the resources on 1 world? 1 of the worlds in that system has horizontal rotation, and one of the poles is always facing the star. I plan on doing something very similar to this and having it be an accumulator charging station.

Speaking of, just how viable is shuttling around a zillion accumulators to power planets once you expand to a few systems? Right now it's working ok in my lovely starting system, as I'm powering the charging planet with deuterium rods, but I worry that once I expand to more than 2 systems that it'll become burdensome to always be shuttling around batteries to places and setting up charging rings on each planet.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Sulfuric became a barrier to advancing (along with other, harder to solve problems). I could set up more production... Hey look, the closest star has sulfuric acid oceans at one planet!

Maxed out all the core energy boosts through purple sci and still not enough to make it there one-way with a warper, full energy, and deuteron fuel rods in my inventory. Guess I'll be installing a few more plants after all.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Scoss posted:

Yeah I really don't understand the point of soil. You already have a material cost in that the foundation must be built, what purpose is soil serving? It creates perverse gameplay scenarios, like running around plopping down and picking up 20 thermal reactors on an open field to suck up some soil, because I need to put foundation on 10 water tiles but I ran out of soil.

Press + so you get a 10x10 grid that you can use to suck up a ton of soil all at once instead of 1x1.....

much easier than picking up and plopping down a bunch of thermal generators

it even tells you if you'll get soil or cost soil

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Press + so you get a 10x10 grid that you can use to suck up a ton of soil all at once instead of 1x1.....

much easier than picking up and plopping down a bunch of thermal generators

it even tells you if you'll get soil or cost soil

It does consume foundations (as far as I can tell it always does whether visible or not?), so thermals would be the "free" way to do it. But yes, tastes the much easier way to handle it if you have the foundation stockpile.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

neogeo0823 posted:

The system I mentioned earlier that I'm strip mining and storing all the resources on 1 world? 1 of the worlds in that system has horizontal rotation, and one of the poles is always facing the star. I plan on doing something very similar to this and having it be an accumulator charging station.

Speaking of, just how viable is shuttling around a zillion accumulators to power planets once you expand to a few systems? Right now it's working ok in my lovely starting system, as I'm powering the charging planet with deuterium rods, but I worry that once I expand to more than 2 systems that it'll become burdensome to always be shuttling around batteries to places and setting up charging rings on each planet.

Accumulator power is perfectly viable, the biggest problem is tertiary mining worlds will get a full shipment of accumulators and waste a bunch sitting around. You can either not care about this and make more accumulators, or have your charging worlds have a logistics tower set up to distribute them in 500-1000 unit chunks. The upside of accumulator power is that you can get it going in the midgame, and the whole network is still viable once you change the power source behind it from wind/solar to fusion, and finally to the dyson sphere.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Transporting accumulators is one of those things that I thought would be really cool and totally viable, but it was just more hassle than transporting deuterium fuel rods for plopping down a ring of fusion plants. And even more of a hassle compared to transporting anti-matter fuel rods once you get there. Still, nothing wrong with doing it. The idea of having a finite amount of accumulators in circulation that are just charged, transported to a location, dischanged for power, and then returned to be charged again sounds like a cool and interesting thing to set up. I just got very :effort: as the game wore on.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

SkyeAuroline posted:

Sulfuric became a barrier to advancing (along with other, harder to solve problems). I could set up more production... Hey look, the closest star has sulfuric acid oceans at one planet!

Maxed out all the core energy boosts through purple sci and still not enough to make it there one-way with a warper, full energy, and deuteron fuel rods in my inventory. Guess I'll be installing a few more plants after all.

I think the logistics ships only need 1 warper each way regardless of distance. Might take you time to get over there and setup but I'd definitely do that over continuing to scale the oil chain.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Ice Fist posted:

Transporting accumulators is one of those things that I thought would be really cool and totally viable, but it was just more hassle than transporting deuterium fuel rods for plopping down a ring of fusion plants. And even more of a hassle compared to transporting anti-matter fuel rods once you get there. Still, nothing wrong with doing it. The idea of having a finite amount of accumulators in circulation that are just charged, transported to a location, dischanged for power, and then returned to be charged again sounds like a cool and interesting thing to set up. I just got very :effort: as the game wore on.

I don't understand the hassle, it's just setting up 2 i/o slots instead of 1, and 2 power flowers have the output density of 10 fusion plants.

It's not obvious because this game is extremely inconsistent, you can daisy chain accumulator output, but not input. One return belt can hook up to a whole line of chargers / dischargers, but you still have to use a splitter on the input side to feed each one.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

necrotic posted:

I think the logistics ships only need 1 warper each way regardless of distance. Might take you time to get over there and setup but I'd definitely do that over continuing to scale the oil chain.

In this case it's just installing two or three more Chem plants to tide me over, I've been running my base on four total up until now. Just continuing to have it bottleneck my titanium alloy production. The real issue holding everything back is organic crystals, by way of plastic... solving that is still a work in progress I have to knock down a bunch of factory for. In the meantime juggling all of my resources I thought I had enough of and very definitely do not. Plus I have to set up a small casimir complex until I can reach somewhere with the crystals necessary, just so I can limp through green sci... Always something new to handle and some equilibrium I haven't noticed is totally out of whack yet.

Taking advantage of fire ice in my parent gas gisnt though. Not as well as I probably should but hopefully redirecting some resource use efficiently with that. Graphite is another permanent shortage thanks in part to the old production methods, actually had to reinstall my old X-ray cracker to keep up for now (though now it's gated behind overflow valves for the materials, so I'm not wasting anything I would be using elsewhere).

Always something new.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Oh, yeah, organic crystals is the first thing I set out to replace with remote logistics. Making those in a factory sucks.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Chem plants in general are just a weird ugly shape that made my initial misinformed self set things up even worse for density. That whole part of my base is getting slowly rebuilt and logistics-integrated. Hopefully to a point where density is better. I did move a chunk of organic crystal out to a logistics station row though, so I have marginally more space to work with.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

necrotic posted:

Oh, yeah, organic crystals is the first thing I set out to replace with remote logistics. Making those in a factory sucks.
Getting warpers to bring in organic crystals is revelatory. No contest when that poo poo comes out the ground.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I had massive plants on my planet dedicated to plastic and organic crystals, and when I started shipping them in I suddenly had zero use for either so I ended up tearing up all of those plants. It was crazy and awesome.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Peachfart posted:

I had massive plants on my planet dedicated to plastic and organic crystals, and when I started shipping them in I suddenly had zero use for either so I ended up tearing up all of those plants. It was crazy and awesome.

It's a good feeling to get to clear up big chunks of space to work with. Unlike Factorio you can't just endlessly sprawl in every direction, so getting to reuse space for something "better" actually feels rewarding. Then you fill it in with something else you'll probably need to replace...

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Blorange posted:

Accumulator power is perfectly viable, the biggest problem is tertiary mining worlds will get a full shipment of accumulators and waste a bunch sitting around. You can either not care about this and make more accumulators, or have your charging worlds have a logistics tower set up to distribute them in 500-1000 unit chunks. The upside of accumulator power is that you can get it going in the midgame, and the whole network is still viable once you change the power source behind it from wind/solar to fusion, and finally to the dyson sphere.

That's good to know. I poured a bunch of time and research and monkeying around into getting them working in my home system, so I was hoping I could spread it out to others.

Incidentally, I just had a complete power grid failure. Looking at it, i think it was due to a lack of green motors, possibly caused by a lack of iron coming from the remote system I'm working in, possibly caused by a lack of warper production or a hiccup in the supply chain somewhere. I'm still diagnosing it.

Blorange posted:

I don't understand the hassle, it's just setting up 2 i/o slots instead of 1, and 2 power flowers have the output density of 10 fusion plants.

It's not obvious because this game is extremely inconsistent, you can daisy chain accumulator output, but not input. One return belt can hook up to a whole line of chargers / dischargers, but you still have to use a splitter on the input side to feed each one.

So, I haven't checked if it's been fixed, but when I set this up, exchangers set to discharge were favored by the power grid over everything else, so they'd happily dump 45MW of power into the grid without a care in the world. Googling around lead me to an interesting revelation: you can chain a discharger and a charger together. If the power draw by the rest of the grid is 0, then they'll happily cycle power losslessly between them forever in a loop. This lead me to finding a belt layout that did just that, and then compacting the design a bit so I could install a ring of dis/chargers around one of my polar hubs on each planet that needed it.

This is the result:

Both exchangers are set to idle to better show the belt work. When it's going, the left one will be set to charge, and the right will be set to discharge. The lowest belt will move fully charged accumulators, and the uppermost belt will move empty accumulators. The lowest splitter has the two top paths set as input and output priority, and the splitter between the exchangers has the path going to the left one as output priority.

So the way it works, is full accumulators will move along the lowermost belt and enter the lower splitter if there's room, sending them to the right side of the discharger. Once empty, the accumulators move to the middle splitter, then to the left charger if there's room. The charger charges them, and then cycles the full accumulators back to the right discharger via the lower splitter. If power draw is more than 0 though, then the charger will charge slower than the discharger, and some extra empty accumulators will pile up at the middle splitter, which will send them to the upper belt, and back to a tower to be sent home for recharging.

It's a bit annoying to set up the splitters and some of the belts due to the huge gently caress-off sized hitboxes of the exchangers, but the end result is quite aesthetically pleasing, I think.

EDIT: Looks like it's straight up not enough iron ingot production. Need to up my smelting game.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I haven't checked if it's been fixed, but when I set this up, exchangers set to discharge were favored by the power grid over everything else, so they'd happily dump 45MW of power into the grid without a care in the world. Googling around lead me to an interesting revelation: you can chain a discharger and a charger together. If the power draw by the rest of the grid is 0, then they'll happily cycle power losslessly between them forever in a loop. This lead me to finding a belt layout that did just that, and then compacting the design a bit so I could install a ring of dis/chargers around one of my polar hubs on each planet that needed it.

Accumulator discharge is still prioritized before power generation, but they won't discharge more power than the grid needs. This setup is only needed if you have a planet partially supplied by wind / solar that you want to use first.

* Edit * You don't need to pair every charge/discharger, just have a line of dischargers enough to power the planet, and a line of chargers to use any local generation you want.

neogeo0823 posted:

It's a bit annoying to set up the splitters and some of the belts due to the huge gently caress-off sized hitboxes of the exchangers, but the end result is quite aesthetically pleasing, I think.

There's a mod for the annoying splitter size, but it does make it harder to select them:
https://dsp.thunderstore.io/package/markusmo3/SmolSplitters/1.0.0/

Blorange fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 2, 2021