Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

zedprime posted:

My legacy malls that were never made to supply more than what I pull out of the 10 capacity production output slot are turning into roller coaster tycoon wild mouse coasters as I thread the impossible belts to pull the output to logistics stations. I could just build a new mall but why?

I discovered that making roller coaster loops of matrix cubes was perfect for creating visual beacons to guide myself through the spaghetti mall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

zoux posted:

I'm looking at the factorio dyson calculator and a full belt of 2H takes 100 fractionators at 74 MW. A full belt using the mini collider takes 30 units at 364 MW. I assumed that the much later game tech is what you were supposed to use to create the deuterium you need when you get into green, but it looks like fractionators are way better. Am I missing something, the only advantage I could reason for the collider is space, but 30 colliders are huge.

Nope, other than setting up fractionator loops is a huge pain in the rear end. There's also a chance the devs make fractionated hydrogen a specific resource a some point, because separating hydrogen and deuterium over and over again shouldn't really work.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

euphronius posted:

The only thing I would like are beacons visible from spAce to help landing on planets

Load a bunch of matrix cubes onto a looping belt. Seriously.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Scoss posted:

Yeah I really don't understand the point of soil. You already have a material cost in that the foundation must be built, what purpose is soil serving? It creates perverse gameplay scenarios, like running around plopping down and picking up 20 thermal reactors on an open field to suck up some soil, because I need to put foundation on 10 water tiles but I ran out of soil.

It does make collecting spinaform crystal interesting, my first trip to an ocean world for the stuff required finding the shallowest possible deposit so I could get set up.

That said, I'm using the bottomless tanks mod so I don't have to constantly burn off hydrogen, so if something bothers you just mod it out.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Evil SpongeBob posted:

How many launchers and photon collectors do you use per sphere? I have an equatorial belt of sail EM and about 16 photon collectors. Do I need more EM launchers?

You can check the power production of the sphere against how many collectors are using it, it'll show power demand / sphere production. For EM rails, you want to saturate the nodes on your sphere design. Each node can accumulate a set amount of sails at once, if you see all the launched sails turning blue when they hit orbit it means you can add more launchers. If they stay orange and orbit the star you have enough.

This is on a tidally locked world, It's possible to build more collectors but everything else in the system can't use more photons or power.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

neogeo0823 posted:

The system I mentioned earlier that I'm strip mining and storing all the resources on 1 world? 1 of the worlds in that system has horizontal rotation, and one of the poles is always facing the star. I plan on doing something very similar to this and having it be an accumulator charging station.

Speaking of, just how viable is shuttling around a zillion accumulators to power planets once you expand to a few systems? Right now it's working ok in my lovely starting system, as I'm powering the charging planet with deuterium rods, but I worry that once I expand to more than 2 systems that it'll become burdensome to always be shuttling around batteries to places and setting up charging rings on each planet.

Accumulator power is perfectly viable, the biggest problem is tertiary mining worlds will get a full shipment of accumulators and waste a bunch sitting around. You can either not care about this and make more accumulators, or have your charging worlds have a logistics tower set up to distribute them in 500-1000 unit chunks. The upside of accumulator power is that you can get it going in the midgame, and the whole network is still viable once you change the power source behind it from wind/solar to fusion, and finally to the dyson sphere.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Ice Fist posted:

Transporting accumulators is one of those things that I thought would be really cool and totally viable, but it was just more hassle than transporting deuterium fuel rods for plopping down a ring of fusion plants. And even more of a hassle compared to transporting anti-matter fuel rods once you get there. Still, nothing wrong with doing it. The idea of having a finite amount of accumulators in circulation that are just charged, transported to a location, dischanged for power, and then returned to be charged again sounds like a cool and interesting thing to set up. I just got very :effort: as the game wore on.

I don't understand the hassle, it's just setting up 2 i/o slots instead of 1, and 2 power flowers have the output density of 10 fusion plants.

It's not obvious because this game is extremely inconsistent, you can daisy chain accumulator output, but not input. One return belt can hook up to a whole line of chargers / dischargers, but you still have to use a splitter on the input side to feed each one.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I haven't checked if it's been fixed, but when I set this up, exchangers set to discharge were favored by the power grid over everything else, so they'd happily dump 45MW of power into the grid without a care in the world. Googling around lead me to an interesting revelation: you can chain a discharger and a charger together. If the power draw by the rest of the grid is 0, then they'll happily cycle power losslessly between them forever in a loop. This lead me to finding a belt layout that did just that, and then compacting the design a bit so I could install a ring of dis/chargers around one of my polar hubs on each planet that needed it.

Accumulator discharge is still prioritized before power generation, but they won't discharge more power than the grid needs. This setup is only needed if you have a planet partially supplied by wind / solar that you want to use first.

* Edit * You don't need to pair every charge/discharger, just have a line of dischargers enough to power the planet, and a line of chargers to use any local generation you want.

neogeo0823 posted:

It's a bit annoying to set up the splitters and some of the belts due to the huge gently caress-off sized hitboxes of the exchangers, but the end result is quite aesthetically pleasing, I think.

There's a mod for the annoying splitter size, but it does make it harder to select them:
https://dsp.thunderstore.io/package/markusmo3/SmolSplitters/1.0.0/

Blorange fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 2, 2021

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Mayveena posted:

But how do you bring it up in game? And also I was looking at the seeds on the wiki, why do I care if a seed has planets that are tidal locked?

You need to launch the game using the mod manager instead of steam.

Also, tidally locked planets enable this bullshit:

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

The oil depletion might be too fast, if my math is right even a bountiful ocean or jungle world only has 5 million oil before things really fall off. You kinda have to reserve it all for plastics.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

I suppose that perspective comes from the smart tanks mod which just dumps all the excess oil and hydrogen production into the nearest superfund site.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

zoux posted:

From reddit:

lmao at casimir crystals. Unipolar particle containers aren't any better - I actually don't think that recipe is very good.

Excessive demand on a single resource is pretty easy to fix with vertical layers of belts, although it's a lot more elegant with the tiny splitters mod.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

SkyeAuroline posted:

A bigger and better iron source. Eternally drowning in my lack of iron more than anything else, even when in casimir hell. (And lack of oil processing facilities, which is its own whole can of worms, but I've complained about that at length.)

Mining asteroids with a similar mechanism to mining gas giants would be pretty sweet, with no hydrogen source maybe they'd need a steady supply of accumulators or fuel rods to keep operating.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

SkyeAuroline posted:

"Power issues in general" sounds like DSP all right. Eternally riding the edge of max power on all my planets. My last save didn't start steadying out on power until I had the sphere infrastructure in place to run double digit artificial stars.

Did get my sphere construction set up... foiled by the twofold issue of "no graviton lenses anywhere in my whole supply chain, because deuterium mysteriously disappeared from my entire network" and "oops I forgot to make Ray receivers and put them in my logistics net". Ten thousand solar sails for two ray receivers later... yeah, I'm a little disappointed in myself. And in my graviton lens production chain, because where the hell is my deuterium going, I haven't ramped up deuteron rod consumption significantly (running less than 40 reactors total, not at full capacity for any of them) and I really need those lenses. At least I have a warper stockpile to keep the empire running for a while. Just have to remember to set up distribution for the new systems.

Are you making rockets for the sphere? They eat up a lot of deuterium rods.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

It's either rockets, or falling into the trap of having too many reactors. If you're overproducing power, each of those reactors burn fuel proportional to need. As your power usage kicks up, those same reactors start burning way more rods per minute and you won't notice until your stockpile collapses and triggers a brownout death spiral.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

The main bus concept absolutely works* before you get logistics towers. It just requires automating the basic belts and assemblers before going ham on the rest of the mall.

* using the small splitters mod

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

I don't get the spray hype. They break even around green motors and processors, but the vast majority of your factory doesn't need to be sprayed.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

SkyeAuroline posted:

Amusing observation: DSP is the first game I've played since the early 2000s that actually used a significant enough share of system resources to cause other processes in the background to stop working correctly. Context: R5 2600X, RX 580.
I put about 60 hours into DSP earlier on in its lifespan (before blueprints), with the soundtrack turned off right as soon as it started repeating constantly. I used YouTube in the background to stream music instead without issues, same as I do for every other game. I shelved it until the Proliferator update hit, at which point I've come back and played about 20 hours, not even getting out of my home system yet. ~5 hours of gameplay ago, YT stopped being able to decode the video in the background with how much DSP has been using. (It's not a buffering issue - I even let the videos load completely to see if it was.) My other screen has a visible delay between the audio of Discord notifications and the text showing up. Streaming software fails to keep up, both Discord and OBS, where it's been usable on everything up to high-settings RDR2. GPU usage is pinned to 100%, of course, but it always was even beforehand.

I have no idea what this patch did to the optimization, or if it's something on my end entirely (please god don't let my GPU be failing), but I do find it funny. Not an experience I've had in a very long time.

Try changing the number of CPU threads in the options from 12 (your likely default) to 6, you're probably just crushing that 2600x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Power is more annoying for building blueprints at scale than flying around, but my first batch of titanium ingots still gets bolted onto the red science line to make sprayed hydrogen rods.