Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Holy poo poo, there's a thread for this game. I didn't find one when searching the forums, but I found a hit randomly on Google. Odd.

Anyway, I'm working towards mining a nearby system for the first time, and I've realized that it'd probably be a good thing to have 1 planet in the system be the logistics hub for that system as well as a warehouse for all the minerals mined in that system. Do you guys have any suggested layouts or approaches you can share for filling a planet with storages?

My current design philosophy is, north pole is input, south pole is output. So for this planet, I'd have all the other planets in the system sending ore to a north pole hub of towers, where it'd get sent to a small tower that connects to a huge storage chain, and eventually to another small tower that'll send the ore to the south pole, where it'll get sent to wherever it's needed. My issues are that, since there's still ore on this planet, I can't just wrap storages around the equator, so I'm thinking of going north > south with them, but that's creating alignment issues where grid squash is happening. Also, that I don't think this is likely the best way to do it, but am not sure of other approaches.

I'm open to whatever ideas you guys have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Kazzah posted:

I don't really understand what the middleman towers are doing in this setup. Are you refining/producing in these exo-systems? I just plonk down interstellar towers near to resources, and ship the ore back home.

Mostly as a way to more evenly pull from, or distribute to, the ore between the different towers in the hub. That, and the spaghetti of belts would be... unfortunately complicated, I think.

Peachfart posted:

I find it easier to manufacture lower level materials on site then ship them home, personally.

I'll probably do this once I move to more systems. Right now, I'm just supplementing what I'm lacking back home with what's in this system, and I don't want to have to ship a ton of warpers all over the place to do so. It just seems... I dunno, neater and more organized, I guess, to do it this way for now. But once I do have more planetary space, I do intend on having worlds dedicated to making some specific things.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So I did a mock-up, and have some math to go with it. I was able to put a line of 86 stacks of crates between each polar hub. I could've gotten another stack or two, but I have a line of solar panels running around most of the equator of this planet currently. Each stack had 8 crates in it. I have a mod that gives me MkIII crates that have 120 storage slots in them, and ore stacks to 100 per slot. 86 x 8 x 120 x 100 = 8.256mil ore per line. The question now is, how many lines of crate stacks can I fit in a world?

I suppose in the end, the main reason I'm doing this at this stage is so I can preemptively strip mine a system so I have nice clean worlds to set up shop on when I get back to them later.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

It is a beautiful mohawk, isn't it?

At some point, I'll have enough real estate that I won't have to worry as much about strip mining a whole system and storing it in boxes for later use. Is it needless? Sure, probably. Especially in the long run. For now, I'm still almost entirely in my lovely starting system, and I'm annoyed at having to work around all the ore patches. So I'm working towards having some free space in a system with a class B star that's near to home. At the very least, once I'm done storing everything in those crates, I'll have 2 pristine worlds and a giant gently caress-off huge warehouse world. One can become a proper forge world, and the other can be a new bouncing off point towards the best stars in my cluster.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Kazzah posted:

I've got to expand my blue chip production soonish. As far as I can tell, every assembler on blue chips requires 4 assemblers on plane filters, 1.333 on Casimir crystals, and 1.666 on titanium glass (plus production lines for orange chips and graphene, but I assume you've got those elsewhere).

Assuming you're using MkIII assemblers, belts, and sorters for everything, 1 assembler on blue chips needs all this to run.

If I'm reading the dang flow graph right(still getting used to it) then in order to satisfy 1 assembler working on blue chips full time, you need 60 iron ore, 240 silicon, 90 copper, 300 titanium, 120 water, 180 stone, and 370 crude oil per minute at the very base. Running through all the processes that take those materials and make them into blue chips.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Blorange posted:

You can check the power production of the sphere against how many collectors are using it, it'll show power demand / sphere production. For EM rails, you want to saturate the nodes on your sphere design. Each node can accumulate a set amount of sails at once, if you see all the launched sails turning blue when they hit orbit it means you can add more launchers. If they stay orange and orbit the star you have enough.

This is on a tidally locked world, It's possible to build more collectors but everything else in the system can't use more photons or power.

The system I mentioned earlier that I'm strip mining and storing all the resources on 1 world? 1 of the worlds in that system has horizontal rotation, and one of the poles is always facing the star. I plan on doing something very similar to this and having it be an accumulator charging station.

Speaking of, just how viable is shuttling around a zillion accumulators to power planets once you expand to a few systems? Right now it's working ok in my lovely starting system, as I'm powering the charging planet with deuterium rods, but I worry that once I expand to more than 2 systems that it'll become burdensome to always be shuttling around batteries to places and setting up charging rings on each planet.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Blorange posted:

Accumulator power is perfectly viable, the biggest problem is tertiary mining worlds will get a full shipment of accumulators and waste a bunch sitting around. You can either not care about this and make more accumulators, or have your charging worlds have a logistics tower set up to distribute them in 500-1000 unit chunks. The upside of accumulator power is that you can get it going in the midgame, and the whole network is still viable once you change the power source behind it from wind/solar to fusion, and finally to the dyson sphere.

That's good to know. I poured a bunch of time and research and monkeying around into getting them working in my home system, so I was hoping I could spread it out to others.

Incidentally, I just had a complete power grid failure. Looking at it, i think it was due to a lack of green motors, possibly caused by a lack of iron coming from the remote system I'm working in, possibly caused by a lack of warper production or a hiccup in the supply chain somewhere. I'm still diagnosing it.

Blorange posted:

I don't understand the hassle, it's just setting up 2 i/o slots instead of 1, and 2 power flowers have the output density of 10 fusion plants.

It's not obvious because this game is extremely inconsistent, you can daisy chain accumulator output, but not input. One return belt can hook up to a whole line of chargers / dischargers, but you still have to use a splitter on the input side to feed each one.

So, I haven't checked if it's been fixed, but when I set this up, exchangers set to discharge were favored by the power grid over everything else, so they'd happily dump 45MW of power into the grid without a care in the world. Googling around lead me to an interesting revelation: you can chain a discharger and a charger together. If the power draw by the rest of the grid is 0, then they'll happily cycle power losslessly between them forever in a loop. This lead me to finding a belt layout that did just that, and then compacting the design a bit so I could install a ring of dis/chargers around one of my polar hubs on each planet that needed it.

This is the result:

Both exchangers are set to idle to better show the belt work. When it's going, the left one will be set to charge, and the right will be set to discharge. The lowest belt will move fully charged accumulators, and the uppermost belt will move empty accumulators. The lowest splitter has the two top paths set as input and output priority, and the splitter between the exchangers has the path going to the left one as output priority.

So the way it works, is full accumulators will move along the lowermost belt and enter the lower splitter if there's room, sending them to the right side of the discharger. Once empty, the accumulators move to the middle splitter, then to the left charger if there's room. The charger charges them, and then cycles the full accumulators back to the right discharger via the lower splitter. If power draw is more than 0 though, then the charger will charge slower than the discharger, and some extra empty accumulators will pile up at the middle splitter, which will send them to the upper belt, and back to a tower to be sent home for recharging.

It's a bit annoying to set up the splitters and some of the belts due to the huge gently caress-off sized hitboxes of the exchangers, but the end result is quite aesthetically pleasing, I think.

EDIT: Looks like it's straight up not enough iron ingot production. Need to up my smelting game.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 2, 2021

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Winged Orpheus posted:

Just a heads up, you might start running into some weirdness if you keep building that out. The game can only handle so much on a single planet. I have a planet that's like 80% covered in solar panels that causes major weirdness when I build/change stuff on it. Not sure if it's the number of entities or the number of power connections, but power poles forget what they're connected to and if I keep playing enough after getting an error, the ui starts to glitch. I think some variable is overrunning it's assigned space and interfering with other things

So this was a couple pages back, but yeah, I'm running into that now. I'm not even half way done building all the storage towers I need and the game's making random units go flickery when I zoom out into map view. No power issues yet, but it's making me worry about like, corrupting my save or causing crash issues or something.

It'd be really nice if there was a mod that just let me pour a ton of resources into a single huge-giant-gently caress-off storage that worked like the storages in a tower. Like, a single item warehouse that was really big and required me to belt stuff in and out, but could hold, say, 10 million of that resource, or something.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 3, 2021

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Winged Orpheus posted:

So, I actually ended up finishing this project (solar panel planet with 10GW of output for charging accumulators) and I have a couple notes that might help.

1. It never made my save unstable, I was always able to save and reload just fine. It would interfere with connections of stuff on planet but didn't break anything anywhere else.

2. It seems to be related to how many things have been put down since the game was loaded. If I put down some panels, saved, exited, and re-loaded, everything seemed to work.

I suspect there's something tracking changes that gets bigger than they ever expected if you put down too much stuff too fast (and by too much I mean like covering half a planet). In my case I'm pretty sure it was the number of power connections, but lots of save/exit/reload let me get to the finish line

That's good to know. I hadn't picked the game back up since that post for fear of things going dead. I had put down like 2000 storage containers that play session, so yeah, I can see how that might make things odd.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I just logged back in to play and I'm still getting the weird flickering on the containers. Like, obviously it's more evident when not in a screenshot, but look at this.

You can see the holes everywhere in what are normally full stacks of crates. And how most of the 1-high crates in the lower right are missing, with just the inserters showing.

EDIT: it's gotta have something to do with the amount of stuff displayed. If I change view to only show half of the crates, then it goes back to normal. In standard view it's fine, and only does this when I go into world map view.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Probably above the number of crates they were ever expecting to have to show; I think those are issues anyone running blueprint mods will run into pretty quickly. Just not meant to build up quite so large of factories in "normal play" yet.

Two side questions.
1) How much do you guys actually use the satellite substation for power? Standard poles have their obvious use, and long range poles have the only external mech charging method (and the only potentially "free" one with solar/wind) plus the long reach to link things. Substations are huge and expensive but also cover a huge area. I've mostly been using them outside of the 30° or so latitude range where poles fit between assemblers, but interested to see others' approaches.
2) please help, my iron supply is starving. So far haven't hit a single one of the usual bottlenecks in my factory that isn't predicated on an iron bottleneck. Is this just the way it goes? (Hydrogen is getting there too, but anything using hydrogen is also getting bottlenecked by either: my 50ish fractionators not being enough, and (not or) my iron supply running too short for anything it combines with.)

I only just started using the big poles on that planet and I am disappointed in that while you can place them next to crates, you cannot build the stack of crates upward, as they apparently have a mushroom shaped hitbox. If that doesn't matter to you, then they are otherwise neat.

As for 2 there, the first thing I ran out of in my home system was iron, and was the reason I went to other systems at all in the first place. In fact, the entire point of what I'm doing right now is to set up my giant crate world as a storage and warehouse for ore for that system, so that I can have 2 other nice, fresh, clean planets on which to build a giant-gently caress-off smelting facility on one, and then a power station on the other that will charge batteries from a swarm/sphere for the rest of my play through.

As for your hydrogen set up, does your home system have a gas giant or an ice giant? if gas, you've got all the free hydro you could ever want sitting right there, just waiting on you to put a belt of orbital collectors around its equator. Otherwise, my suggestion is to set up a big facility to take all the oil of your home world and turn it all into hydro and refined fuel. If you go into the star map, it should give you the total rate of oil that you can get from the planet. Go based off that, and remember to turn all that refined fuel into something. Probably organic crystals or whatever.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

SkyeAuroline posted:

A mountain of downright essential QOL is missing. I am intent on getting my sphere without mods, but I will second the "they make your life way easier" sentiment.

Lemme tell you, mah dude, you definitely, absolutely, want to get the CopyInserters mod at a bare minimum. All the other mods, whatever, but that copy inserters mod, it's the only thing I'd 1000% recommend as absolutely required for play. I'm still on my first playthrough, at something like 90 hours. I set up my whole home system without that mod. And then when I went to my first new system is when I installed it, and it literally makes an entire world of difference to me. I could not imagine setting up another set of 4 rows of 30 smelters without it, let alone covering a whole planet with them as I'm planning on doing.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

SkyeAuroline posted:

What exactly does it even do, just copy inserters down the line or something? Not really wanting to compromise on it but also not excited to do another round of "weaving inserters for two rows of assemblers feeding from three shared belts" for 20 minutes a "module" again.

I still don't see how a blueprint mod doesn't break with latitude adjustments.

So when you shift+left click to copy a building, it copies any attached inserters and sets them down as well. It doesn't cheat anything in, you still use the same amount of resources and construction drones as you would placing stuff normally, it just makes building long lines of factories all chained in a row so much faster.

link to the mod. Keep in mind, it needs BepInEx to work.

Here's a gif from the mod page, to highlight it more:

My warehouse world has lines and lines and lines and lines of storage crate stacks, all linked to the next stack in the line by 3 inserters each. With this mod, I can lay down the first crate, then the 2nd, then the inserters, then shift + click copy that 2nd crate and just connect up a huge line of them in a row as I go. It's fantastic.

zoux posted:

In case you didn't know there are a number of distinct zones that are the same on every planet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E-QekRlRDo

One of the big "challenges" of the game is building to particular latitude belts. There are a handful of bugs with the blue print mod, and some QoL stuff that needs to get implemented but it works very very well.
This vid, along with the polar hub one, changed the way I looked at the game. So now, when I move to a new planet, I first set up a north pole polar hub, which will be for importing anything needed for that planet. Then I set up a south pole hub, which is for exports. If solar/wind aren't viable, then I'll set up a charging ring(detailed in a previous post of mine) in between the blue and purple lines on that preview image there, and import full accumulators, and export empty ones. I'll also set up a planetary tower inside the ring, that requests full accumulators and supplies empties so that I'm only using 1 slot in each for each on the import/export hub.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Peachfart posted:

So why do people keep talking about making separate mining and smelting planets? I just smelt on site, it saves time, materials, and energy.

Edit: And oil is the eternal nightmare, you will probably spend more time getting oil unclogged than any other thing in the game.

In the long run, it's a lot easier to have centralized smelting. You know for sure that the planet can handle the throughput, you can definitely, for sure, ensure that the power supply will keep up with demand, and it makes it easier to just ship in warpers and set the towers to infinite range to send/receive anything you want for the entire game.

zoux posted:

Your planet at this point looks like a bowl of ramen.

Are you saying at some point that the belts are supposed to get more tidy? Because uh......

That's just my mall, and some of my science stuff.

Actually, here's a good shot of the bulk of my current main production world:

For what it is, it works. It's gotten me all the non-white science research, and basically everything I need up to, but not including, the swarm/sphere stuff.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ornedan posted:

Finished my first game. I'd initially aimed to make a fancy sphere with multiple differently rotating layers of small triangles, alternating filled and empty. But that plan fell over from the sphere editor not doing well with such fiddly work. Placing the shells on just the first layer was a literal pain in my mouse fingers.

So I instead went for a less ambitious objective of 1 full T3 belt worth of rocket production so I could at least build that one layer, but sim speed started falling hard by the time I was working on the 5th forge world. Had to settle for mostly finishing my 2nd, simpler, sphere instead before researching the victory tech. Entire second sphere needed around 20% of the rockets that the innermost layer of the fancy sphere did.

[pics]

e: I'm not sure what causes the lag, but the long lines -style of factory setups I went with might have been too ambitious. I think I'll do a second playthrough once the game is out of early access and that time I'll try for something like self-contained factory complexes that take in raw materials and produce one or a few factories worth of some final product.

Jesus Christ 5 forge worlds? How much material are you processing? Also, that is the most intricate sphere design I've ever seen.

I went to design my first sphere yesterday in prep for starting it. I did what I thought was a decently basic design, with some nice floral leaf patterns and such. Here's a couple images from the editor:

This one you can see the design a bit better on the bottom half. It's mirrored on top.

I was going to have the gap in the middle, like so:

But ended up closing it up with broad panels.

Total node count was, I thought, pretty good. Only like 160 or so. Then the game saved, and took noticeably longer to do so. Turns out adding in that sphere design took my save file size from this:

to this:

Deleting the design an hour or so later brought it right back down to size again. I... Think I'll just stick to as basic of a design as I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

How do you determine the number of solar sails needed to fill a sphere? Is there some formula or something? I'm not finding much googling around.