Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I picked this game up at a discount a while ago, and 160+ hours later here I am.

I can't stop restarting to redo my builds better and figure out my intent rather then just blindly regurgitating someone else's built type, but the new patch that added those small starting patches really mess things up.

This latest play I am being a bit more intelligent with belts, because I think mkiii everywhere is a bit detrimental for some production lines, and expensive until you set up massive production lines for super magnets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Kin posted:

Now i'm at the point where i'm just waiting on my dyson sphere to build i can't help but think something that would be good to add is some more interim goals.

Its like once you unlock the ability to make rockets, you're pretty much done and you're left trying to scale up parts of your output to keep it flowing at a steady rate.

Instead it would be cool to have things like establish a colony of x or y thing which by the time of completing that goal, leads to the stabilisation of a particular resource required for the sphere.

It would maybe be a bit hand holdey but it would break up a bit of the monotony that sinks in towards the end.

Yeah, early access but the road map is cool. I think it's better to start the sphere earlier to get power to your world quicker... Then ramp up production and start building a bunch of them

Or so I thought, I keep restarting to play better

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
On my latest restart there is a big valley you fall into getting enough yellow science to get warp capability.

I just can't make enough oil to satiate plastic, organic crystal, and grapevine, and nanotubes.

I thought having a gas giant for h2 and fireice was great, but it's just a very delicate balancing act between too much h2 it clogs the system or it runs out, making the thermal power go offline and depower everything.

I think I prefer it on an ice world with titanium to direct make the alternate graphine and nanotubes vs pulling it local, and I ended up shipping it to my current in system planet to do just that. But the planet has so much power that I just can burn hydrogen fast enough.

Sure I can put it into deut, but I have 4 tanks of it already, turned into a box full of rods and now making warpers..

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
For the love of god remember to upgrade your ships to use warps before you set up large operations in another galaxy with no way to ship it home

It's really easy to tech to warp, and forget to upgrade your drive engine as well.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I import yellow cubes, so I ripped up all the supporting building for it, leaving all the oil for plastic production... Which I wish I realized before setting up plastic on a remote world to ship in because I was always short.....

At least.i can realize my dream of a dyson sphere level civ shooting coal all over the universe to burn in power plants. Fusion to power the miners, coal to power everything else, especially the ships to transport it. I can't stop laughing

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Fire ice is great and a awesome way to fill my graphite coffers .. and then i start burning off hydrogen for my remote planet power ... until my graphite backs up because i cant use it fast enough.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Started over again because I build based on 'feel' for the amount and I always end up short.

This time I didn't bother adding a token engine production, but instead put the foundations down to produce 1 per second super magnets as I get the research.

So now I have a massive mine/magnet/plate factory to produce engines, and I'll just tack more on as I research. Green motors and blue magnets are used in so much mid game and I never have enough

Looking at actual calculators it seems the biggest draw for a lot of things is magnets to superconductors. Copper and green circirt boards only need a small scale production for anything. Blue science at 2/a is hardly any industry as well

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Green motors (and blue motor) use was why I never added them to my initial mall, but created a huge assembly line of 16 red, 8 green and 4 blue along with the absurd number if mangers they need, etc

And I still needed more

It's hard to fill the belts with the mines I have on planet, so I am finding it easier to asap drop some towers that just deliver ore into the already existing infrastructure and it works out much better. Those planets with millions of ore it's just easy to ship 10k around in ships, even warp it in since everything gets cheaper as time goes on

My new start has only 300k silicon in my home system, I had to make as many processers as I could right away and rush warp to mine my next system.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I was just thinking about this last night, how I would love for a downgrade option... It shouldn't be too hard to implement using the same mechanics.

JFC I like the devs adding features... But maybe some detailed patch notes or is this intended to be a discovery mini game?

edit: i see that the options list downgrade quite obviously on the side menu. I need to pay attention

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Mar 2, 2021

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Alkydere posted:

16-8-4 is a start as you've probably realized. As in I feel it's 100% fine to just build red motors on iron-rich planets and just ship them as is to your home system to be converted to greens and blues.

It was a problem at first since pre towers, I was running a long line to my mall. But I have since cut that and added a local tower. Now my belts and such that were in storage boxes now feed to a warp enabled tower to send as i need them, and its all fine now that everything is caught up. This is for my mall, any further needs i'll be building out the new factory specific for it.

As for silicon, it's not exactly efficient but you could likely get a good deal more from the stone you had in your starter. The other uses for stone are glass (needed in moderate to large amounts depending the size of your solar sail production), bricks (only really needed for production/your item mall) and sulfuric acid (which will be replaced the moment you find your first acid ocean planet).

This play though is odd, and I need to exploit extended systems vs having things all in one system in my last. Its turning out that i need to warp in silicon from the next system over, and that same system has the alternate stuff for the casmir? crystal. But I am using fire ice to get hydrogen but not nearly enough.

The NEXT system has a gas giant with deut and hydrogen, so I ringed that world with collectors, and it has the same crystal I need for casmir, and it will provide enough hydrogen local. I guess its better to ship a finished product out then h2 back and forth.

The NEXT system after that has a sulfuric acid ocean, which i will probably use that volcaon moon world as a smelting base to ship raw plates and titanium ore to the other systems. This will be the next step as a basis to start rockets. I'm flush with deut rods at the moment, and soon raw deut will flow in better. I found a world to make nanotubes with the alternate recipie, but its an ocena world, screw that. I have enough fire ice making grhpine im keeping with that.

Cliff notes it seems im making components in a 6LY triangle and combining them -somewhere- Good thing im about to convert warpers to be made from green science soon, but my gas giant deut might be an additional warp base as well.

drat i think i need to get a spreadsheet out.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I want and dont want to use the 'advanced' features of logi towers, like radius, distance ,etc because i have really no desire to set up specific towers as local vs galaxy spanning.
If i need to leave the system, i just throw warpers in the tower.

I can't imagine the fresh hell of having a tower that only has local produced hyrogen (orbital collection and distance set to nil) along with another that just pulls from the collector, and another that can gather it from anywhere. Its just cheaper to throw ships in everything and it all just magically gets filled. I would hope that a given tower on my planet is pulling excess hydrogen from the local system vs warping out to gather from another system collector because it has warps

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
magnets are also horrible not just for how many you need, but because they use the raw ore vs plates. My next smelter world will have -everything- and im strip mining that planet

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
When there are ships inbound to a tower with <whatever> and you delete or otherwise remove the requested item.. what happens to the stuff in transit ? Goes back to the source tower or just disappears to the void?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
my normal process is to set up oil refining and save the refined oil and H2 in liquid tanks. and start to set up the lines to bring H2 and excited graphene to my red labs.

Once I get xray cracking, The oil is fed to that and the hydrogen is added to the line along with the graphene. Eventually i split this off (oil, graphene) for yellow organic crystal production and plastic. I was saving wood and plants for the alternate method, but once i set up the factory lines it just wasnt worth it.

Leave a spot to drop titanium off in a box to feed the line, and you manually drop it there until you have shipping. A full load should get you enough yellow for that.

its important to split because eventually you want to prioritize and burn the excess. But I never bothered to set up the proper rations so all the graphene is used in this process (which needs like a few dozen refineries). All of this is moot once / if you find natural organic crystals. I didnt on this play through, so im still eating oil

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Grevlek posted:

I don't know how productive my sails are, but my network keeps about 18k or so in orbit and it is fun to have stuff in the night sky.

This is almost an anti-ecofriendly game. When the universe is left to nature, it is cold and sterile. Only by bringing in automated robots does the cluster come to life.

--- also by completly paving over the mushroom world. Factory worlds : its not just for lifeless moons anymore !

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Holy crap I finally caught up on some francias john DSP videos and he took the mall concept to a whole new level, going from 'mall' to an entire forge world.

really taking advantage of ships just moving items from tower to tower it seems almost easy to get massive builds going

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I'm a bit torn on blueprints. Yes I can see the appeal but it seems to reduce the game to 'this is the most efficient way to build x, just copy and paste it in'

Why even bother playing of all you are is the physical button to setting a blueprint down? It kind of ruins factorio for me getting into it so late when there isnt anything to discover. Build this ratio, nothing else

Planet sizes being the same, you can ignore everything on it. If you are sending everything from a factory world being fed orr, who cares if you have over < million stone or something?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I guess my gripe on blueprints are as mentioned are the people that plop down the end game factory and just fill it in. But that is something you have to do, and if you play like that, it's on you.

Francis john had me realize that if you put everything on the network, you just need to plop a tower pull the stuff needed for that assembly, and feed the result right back on the network. Run low on x? Feed a other tower

Katherine of sky was interesting because I like the playstyle of not paving over the world and build to the environment, but gently caress the earth if I need 3 more squares I'm filling it in

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Just a heads up the new update seems to break if you are using a mod called 'smart tanks'

It's fixed if you remove it just posting from what I saw on discord

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Is there a wiki or calculator that gives you the ratios you need, not necessarily the total buildings you need?

Example being I don't know if I want 120/s or 500/s,. It I did find that you build engines : green motors : blue magnets in a 8 : 4 : 3 ratio to feed each other the end products I want to set up balanced lines but I don't have a production speed in mind

If I start to run out, I'll increase the assemblers

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
So the latest update broke power calcs, so they really should be lower , or the update added power draw, so they should be lower ? I dont really understand what the change was supposed to be

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Just open up your P menu and look at what systems are producing what resources. You can even drill down by planet

You might have to set the time scale bigger if all your belts filled up with product and you don't have a destination using it yet

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Started a new game because I like the problem solving vs the actual endgame, and I hit random a few times and just accept the starting system.

And my home system has 183k silicon total. 2nd time this happened. Thanks? Time to rush to warp and get outta dodge before I run out of processors

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Oh god yes. I've learned not to really care what I build until I get logistics towers. Once those are in place, you can place and design properly. Everything before that is hot garbage

My starting world only exists to get me off planet, and to build the items I need to strip mine other solar systems. Once you add every relevant thing to the logistics network, it can be had anywhere

My initial world is jus a big pocket crafting setuo

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Keep in mind unless you want to tap every oil hole on the planet, and feed it to dozens of refineries and then more dozens of x ray refi refineries, it's infinitely easier to just tap some coal and make excited graphite

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Laughing at everyone at the stages of hydrogen grief:

Hydrogen for red cubes --> excess hydrogen --> omg i need hydrogen for casmir crystals.

At stage '3' you are running so many ships to suck it all up.

Restarting has me playing with a nod towards the mid /end game, as I'm not bothering with adding the more advanced things to my local factory until i can set up assembly lines, like for processors and engines. and that means i rush towers to handle my local mall. dumping storage boxes to hving everything in towers. I really need to plan better to leave more space for expansion, but illl end up just moving it.

Going through the tech tree i think orbital collectors are a bit too far down the line, and its very easy to block yourself from setting the items you need because you didnt research it soon enough

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
your sphere can start sucking up solar sails already in orbit, no need to shoot a ton after the sphere is built. MORE yes, but its not like the previous stuff is useless

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Very little assemblers make an rear end ton of sails. I don't even notice the resource use.

Make all the sails, shoot them with magnets to the sun. Go nuts

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Also the warper slot becomes slot 6 in the filter list, so if tower a is requesting warpers, you can output and input into other towers via belts without taking up a filter slot for actual stuff

It is an excercise for the reader if it's better to belt or request local, or have a local tower that just distributes warps to nearby towers. Stuff on long belts can easily far exceeded the 100 you originally requested

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I heard a tip somewhere that you need to let the tip read out fully and dismiss itself. If you do that vs four clicking to dismiss early it sets it to played properly. I've done that in my new playthrough and I ha e only heard each message once as opposed to everytime I reload the game

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I've double click to dismiss all the time, and every save I randomly get the fact I placed my first inserter, or wind mine, or I have a smelter with no recipie

Leaving it untouched this time around I haven't heard any of it dispute repeated save and loads o er the past week.

You have a different anecdotal test bed, so now I have no idea

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I've not really bothered with solar unless the planet is very heavily weighted towards solar output, even then I make a ton of wind mines to fill in gaps between mines and assembly, to plop on coastlines , etc.

Thermal plans burning the excess coal/ oil/ fire ice /hydrogen is the way to go.

It was said above too, it's almost worth tapping every oil vein on the starting planet and putting output right into thermal plants. Redirect the output to oil production as that ramps up.

Then burn the excess

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I wish there was more detail on power usage. I think I am meeting all power needs, well above 100%, and I look again and I'm at 75%.

I'm assuming it's research labs spinning up to replenish the backlog of cubes, but it means I have no idea how much power I actually need

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Graphite on thermal is worth it at the end of the line. The belt can feed all the things it needs to, and then burn at the end. Up until all bts just lead into a tower for storage and distribution around the galaxy.

My next play though will be with a major change or add to the game, but I'm liking the idea of just making everything localized/ hand drops until towers, then just ship it everywhere. I think I wasters a bunch of time on my initial mall when I could have done research

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Not handcrafting, making the assembly to get the numbers you need, not building the machines that will fill your inventory into endgame

My current mall is cool until I need blue magnets and my production is slow enough a long belt represents a goodly amount.

I'm just suggesting mass produce belts, sorters, etc in clusters, and rush to towers. Then you can build for raw material import and space it better, since I abandon local storage boxes and use towers to hold it for shipping. Less belts too overall

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Cobbsprite posted:

(By the time you're using Mk 3 sorters with upgrades, you should be graduating away from coal power.)

Never. Develop warp, power everything in a 12LY circle with coal

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Alternately activate sail to get home, get caught in the gravity of the gas giant, spend eternity circling because you never recharge because you are still hovering, never stop hovering because no land, and don't have enough energy built up to make it to orbit.. and nothing to burn to get more

That was a fun restart

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Aside from QOL updates im really craving some content update. And not those accelerator research placeholders, i dont see myself using them.

New planet type ? New buildings ? New .. something?

I dunno what since the roadmap isnt out yet.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I couldn't help it, I restarted. The start is still SO SLOW but I realize I don't need to go balls to the wall with production and research from hour 1. I have small localized production and research towers until I hit planetary towers, then I'll create from scratch my needed mall and research with it prebuikt to ship in and out material

Not even going to look at a calculator until I am well into building a forge world for production items and crazy cube science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Why build one when you can build 8. You will use it eventually. Turns out you don't need to build your mod to end game production levels right away.

I kid but I was using a ton of mines etc because I knew I was ramping up need later, it would sit ilde for the most part and kill my power. I'm just playing more sensibly to start.