Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
ice giants and gas giants dont have a surface. you unlock buildings later that can harvest resources from them, but you'll never be able to make bases on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
this topic strikes at something i think is essential that's completely missing from the game, which is space stations or some other form of free-standing infrastructure that could be used for directing interstellar logistics or just making cool bases

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i dunno if lava planets have any exclusive rewards, but at least from what i've seen they have insanely dense mineral deposits, so they make good secondary targets for offworld mining

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i was able to manage power in my home system with nothing but a dyson swarm for a very long time. the material requirements for solar sails are simple compared to what you need for the sphere, especially if you have fire ice in your home system for easy graphene processing. Once I had 15 sails firing full time it was worth about a GW of power, which was more than enough room to get enough infrastructure together to start launching rockets.

if you don't have an ice giant in your starting solar system, it's worth finding the nearest star that does. it's an infinite resource and it reduces the need for graphite for graphene production, which means less stress on the thrice cursed supermagnetic coil assembly line

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

zoux posted:

Recognize that the railgun orbit targeting mechanic is stupid and unfun and doesn't make any sense and get the auto targeting mod, enjoy 4 GW of energy. Or build a poo poo load of fake suns and coat the poles of your planets in solar panels.

people have already talked up the benefits of perpetual day/night planets in this thread, but one of their additional benefits is easy 100% uptime on railguns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
mod every star in the cluster to be a black hole