Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Been playing this for a couple nights, I'm getting into red researches although their production is slower than I'd like. I could probably double the number of oil refineries making hydrogen (currently four), but my system is already experiencing problems due to the problem of storing all the refined fuel. I know it's gonna be useful eventually, but right now all I can do is burn it (would take loads of thermal gens to keep up with production) or make plastic. Is plastic something that's worth having heaps of, or is it more of a niche product?

Anyway, I guess the next step is to grab all the red researches and set up an interplanetary network to start getting titanium.
Some questions:
-Is it necessary to bring all the colours of cubes to the same matrix tower (or tower cluster)? Is there some way to have this lab eat red cubes, while that one eats blues, etc?
-If not, is it feasible to transport cubes between planets, or should I assume all the colours will need to be produced on one planet?
-What's up with fluid tanks? I can't seem to put H or Refined Fuel in them.
-It seems to me that a lot of techs just unlock the construction of some new material, which you need other techs to actually make use of. Is this correct?
-Is there a way to turn my home planet into a parking lot other than by hand? The water's useful, but the rocks and trees are getting annoying. Some sort of area-command for my drones to just disintegrate everything would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Solar sails are nice, but:
-You need those special energy collectors to actually use their power
-Each collector can only collect 12.5MW, and only when it's facing the sun
-The sails have a limited life, so you need to keep making more and firing them off all the time

I set up a sail production line to a couple of guns as early as I could (before I started yellow cubes or interplanetary networks), and it was useful, but not revolutionary like I hoped. It was very expensive to set up, and I didn't have the capacity to go nuts with guns and receivers to get to the point where power didn't matter, which is what I hoped for. Later on I set up a pair of fabricators making normal ground-based solar panels, and made a triple ring around the equator, which sent me up to 150MW-- that was transformative. My plan now is to scale up the sail production (which I can do, on account of all the energy), and move the guns to one of the inner planets with a high orbital tilt, where hopefully they'll be able to fire more often.

As for just one silicon deposit: yeah that's not normal, in my game it was just as common as titanium. I think you can also make it out of normal stone, but that's not ideal. Are you sure your starting system only has one planet with silicon on it? Mine has two.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Each planetary logistics tower can host 3 resources. Towers have internal storage, and can hold up to 10k (I think) of each of those resources, though you can lower the cap if you don't want this one building to suck up all your sulfuric acid or whatever. A tower can be set to supply or demand each resource (i.e. provide or take them from the other towers). Once you've built a tower, you can equip it with logistics drones, which will ferry those resources to/from other towers on the same planet. No radius or limits, beyond same-planet. They can also ferry resources to interplanetary towers, once you get those. So, if you want to move your graphene from one pole to another without a giant conveyor belt, you need to build two towers, with a belt pushing the graphene straight into one of them. Set that tower to provide graphene, give it some drones, set the other tower to demand graphene, build a conveyer belt out of the receiver tower, and filter that belt (click the side of the tower above it, it's kind of badly-defined) to output graphene. Of course, you can have multiple towers providing a resource, or multiple receiving it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's not really in the full-automation spirit of the game, but in extreme cases you can just conveyer belt your hydrogen directly into a stack of liquid tanks, and then delete them every now and then. Deleting a tank annihilates the contents, unlike deleting a normal storage box. Each fuel tank can hold 10k units, so it's not as micro-managey as it sounds.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah, stackable assemblers would be a cool way to let me double or triple my orange chip production without having to completely rework the post-yellow products zone it's nestled in.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I reckon they know-- those aren't steel spaces...

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

scribe jones posted:

think I’m done with this for now, anything with a similar vibe I should check out? I have looked at factorio and it seems way too brown so don’t say that please

What’s your opinion on grey?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Is there a way to see how many rockets your sphere needs to complete its current network? I've only fed in like a hundred, but so far there's only a partial ring of nodes, they haven't started reaching out yet and I can't find a way to see the total # required.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
On a related note, are the labs themselves full of cubes? It may be that your sorters aren't removing cubes fast enough for the labs to run at full speed.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Mayveena posted:

Is there some kind of mod to build all those damned solar panels?

If there were, I wouldn't have time to get through all my podcasts

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Another thing this game could really use: a tooltip listing all the products an item is used to create.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Mr Scumbag posted:

I'm addicted to excess. Send help.

All the cyberpeople back home are making memes with the punchline "sphere pls"

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Speaking of warping, I'm 40 hours in and I'm finally starting to mine other systems, mostly for the easy organic crystals. Anyway, how do I keep my remote stations supplied with warp fuel? Will the ships automatically pick up enough at home base to make a round trip, or do I somehow have to keep the distant stations stocked up as well? The star I've expanded to is about 6LY from home, fwiw.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Cool, that's simpler than I thought. I'm probably going to just have warpers on the home world for now, I only need 2 ships to keep the local belts saturated anyway. Org crystals instantly stopped being a problem; now I need to increase my Ti forging, which also means I need to relocate it...

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
To hell with perfect ratios, a full belt is a happy belt

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah planets don’t cast shadows, the only thing that affects a solar panel’s function is the day/night cycle of its own world.

As for spaghetti, don’t stress. Drone logistics in this game arrive earlier and work way better then in Factorio, to the point where I’d recommend against a main bus altogether. You can just use towers and drones to move products between assembly areas. Also mass deletion is easy enough anyway.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's the idea of having all your poo poo on parallel conveyer belts. That way, when you want to make a facility to product red graphics cards or whatever, you just branch off all the ingredients from their lines in the main bus into the assembly area, and make the finished product feed onto a new line in the main bus, which itself will feed other assemblers downstream that require red cards.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I finished the first complete triangle of my sphere frame last night. Have started filling it in with sails too - after looking up how to do it, they really could have explained it better. Anyway, are there any downsides to actually filling in the sphere? Does it interfere with solar power or anything? I know I can just clip through the structure; is that true of my logistics ships as well?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Peachfart posted:

Plane Filters are the worst to make a ton of. Incredibly slow.

I just spent a couple hours redoing my blue chip production, and was horrified at the realisation I'd need forty-eight level 3 assemblers just to make enough filters. Ghastly stuff.

Anyway, things are humming along smoothly for me, but my deuterium production keeps getting blocked by hydrogen, every tower that passes H on to the fractionators is totally clogged. How do I deal with this? I'm considering going into hydrogen fuel cells, but we're talking tens of thousands of hydrogen here.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

OwlFancier posted:

You can have the fractionators just loop hydrogen endlessly, then side load extra onto their loop from a tower.

If you have made the fractionator hydrogen loop have a tower on it and are loading the tower with hydrogen then that could conceivably cause a lockup, but you don't need to do that, you can utilize the belt order preferences, if you run one belt into the side of another, the side loading belt will always give way to the main belt, which will allow you to run the fractionators constantly (unless the deuterium outlet gets blocked)

I set up all my loops to pass through the towers that feed them.

I have no idea why I did that, looking back.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Phanatic posted:

Let me ask a noob question.

By the time you get warpers, most of the tech tree is explored. What’s the point of other star systems? Is it just because you don’t have enough resources left in your home system by that point to fab enough widgets to assemble a sphere?

Partly it's to prevent resource exhaustion, partly it's to let you get rare resources (like imagine just pumping sulfuric acid straight from the sea into a transport hub), and partly it's there because it's cool. It lets you build your own New Game Plus scenarios, starting the game over with all research completed and building a second sphere as fast as possible or whatever.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
As far as I can tell, there are only two factors that matter outside of aesthetics:

-The size of the sphere affects its overall power output. The smallest possible sphere still makes a shitload of power, so this is barely more than an aesthetic choice, but whatever.
-I think the number of nodes affects the rate at which solar sails can get sucked into the sphere, so there's a tradeoff between spending a lot of resources on carrier rockets and spending a lot of resources on sails.

There's a toggle up in the corner that pauses the game while you're in the sphere designer, makes it a little less irritating to use.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I don't really understand what the middleman towers are doing in this setup. Are you refining/producing in these exo-systems? I just plonk down interstellar towers near to resources, and ship the ore back home.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
180 degrees is the opposite end of the planet

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

SettingSun posted:

Somebody send help, this game is taking control of my life. My home planet is a nightmare. My demand for graphene is appears insatiable. I just kinda let oil do its thing and hope it works (spoiler: it doesn't). My early mining nodes are beginning to deplete. I feel like I need to review my production line from top to bottom.

But I did explore another star system and it was rad as hell. Even set up a rudimentary trade route for some rare resources with some manually crafted warpers. Maybe all this fireice can help me with my graphene woes. Setting up a quantum chip production chain feels like a herculean task still though.

I've got to expand my blue chip production soonish. As far as I can tell, every assembler on blue chips requires 4 assemblers on plane filters, 1.333 on Casimir crystals, and 1.666 on titanium glass (plus production lines for orange chips and graphene, but I assume you've got those elsewhere).

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The size planning of a potential dyson sphere is confusing the hell out of me because some YouTubers tell me it's purely aesthetic, while the wiki section on the topic starts with "Preliminary testing indicates that certain mathematical rules apply to Dyson Shells as expected, while others do not, or apply in the opposite way as expected based on real-world physics (yet in a way that makes sense for a video game)".

Can I just construct my first sphere at roughly half the size of the original swarm orbit and not worry too much about minmaxing or efficiency?

Yep. I think a large sphere generates more power and photons than a small one, but even the smallest possible sphere generates shitloads. If your priority is to research the final tech and officially win the game, any size will do. You don't even have to complete the frame, you can pull it off with a ring.

Basically 90% of sphere design is for aesthetics and personal satisfaction. If you want, you can make a second sphere around the first.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I started this game on Saturday and was a little overwhelmed and had no idea how to even start. For some reason the in-game tutorials don't do it for me. But I watched about 10-15 mins of youtube to get some basics and then I just spent over 8 hours playing today...

For now, just focus on automating science, and on automating production of basic things (belts, sorters, assemblers) that you need to expand the factory.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I smelt everything on my homeworld. It's less efficient in terms of shuttle throughput, but that's never been a bottleneck for me. It makes it easier to manage power and diagnose supply line faults, since there's just less going on in the other systems.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Dirk the Average posted:

How do you power the resource harvesters?

They don't need a power supply. You need a bunch of fully-charged battery buildings to construct them, and they just never run out of juice.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I finished the game yesterday. I got up to White Science a while ago, but delayed researching the final tech until the sphere was done. Then I realised how long it would take to fill it up with sails and decided I'd done enough. I chose to make the biggest possible sphere, which was a mistake, but a pretty fun one. Anyway, I turned the starting world into what I imagined Sim City 2000 was like as a child, which is really all I wanted to accomplish. Total play time was 84 hours; I probably could have shaved off 20 if I'd gone harder into automation earlier. Even by the end, I was hand-crafting Inserters. Ah, well.

Some shots:

While the sphere is cool, I'm way more proud of what I made of my starting world:

(the dozens of ships in transit is more obvious in a moving image)

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 10, 2021

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I may be wrong about this, but I think ray receivers can only draw from a Dyson swarm/sphere, even when they're in photon mode. If you set them to photon mode without any swarm, they wouldn't function. The energy they consume while in photon mode must be supplied to them by other buildings (which may include ray receivers that AREN'T in photon mode, or from solar panels, or anything really). So, while your power supply wasn't dependent on the swarm, your photon supply was.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Uni mags are just all-round baffling. They're the least common resource, they tend to spawn at max distance from your start, and the products that use them cost so many that it's honestly easier to make a billion green engines instead.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Duzzy Funlop posted:

/edit:
I eyeballed the rate at which my panels are growing at roughly 25 sails per second, and sure enough, I have 26 nodes in the structure, so I guess I'm stuck with like 26 sails per second.
Which is, uh...unfortunate, because I have 1.2 million sails left to complete the current panels.

:stare:

just 13 hours to go :psypop:

You can add a bunch more nodes, but that'll require you to launch more frame rockets.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
What about a big ship that tears a continent-sized chunk out of a planet, cracking it if you will, and then mines the chunk in orbit?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They should add a tombworld planet type with landfill nodes where you can directly mine out plastic

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
You have to do a couple runs of manually carrying a shitton of titanium to your home planet. Eventually you'll unlock interplanetary logistics, and then you can just set up automatic transport routes that'll move it for you.

There are people who argue in favour of local production, or making a bunch of single-product forge worlds, but for what it's worth I was able to beat the game with basically all production happening on my homeworld. Every other planet was just a resource colony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Hey I just started a new save file after finishing the game like two years ago. This time I'm going to try out some mods, and I'm getting a bit stuck. Apparently everything requires BepInEx, which is fair enough, but all the instructions for installing mods after that refer to subfolders that don't exist.

EDIT: you need to run the game with bepinex once, in order for it to create those subfolders.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 28, 2023