Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I should grab a pic of my gas giant eaters at some point since I can see them from my starter planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

K8.0 posted:

Fuels also have a production rate. In the mech it affects charge rate, I presume it works in the thermal plant as well but I haven't checked.

I think in the power plant it affect burn time.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Redo supply lines? Just add to them! I've found no downside so far to leaving my old factory blocks chunking away slowly at stuff while I build more efficient ones elsewhere.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Unlike factorio, where everything needed nice clean lines to make me feel good, and to a lesser extent Satisfactory as well, I'm embracing my mess.

Edit:

This is a really pretty game

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 25, 2021

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Coolnezzz posted:

Peekaboo!

My logistics production network now spanning half of the starter planet.

Just finished off my last yellow research, time to start expanding the incoming resources to get purple production up and running! Game is awesome, sitting around 42 hours played so far!

The other two planets in my starter system are garbage tier, a rocky world that looks like mars with nothing but titanium and iron/copper, then an ice world that is so far out from the star that it only gets about 25% solar energy - nothing but minerals there but luckily it has silicon so I could stop using stone to make it.

This is a really really good looking factory.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

awesmoe posted:

Step 1: make it pretty

Step 1: Make it

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Patrat posted:

What do you do with all of the hydrogen? I find that cracking crude oil to make the refined oil for various chemical stuff I want in large quantities leaves me with just absolutely ludicrous quantities of hydrogen, far, far more than I need for anything.

Red cubes take a bunch but yellow cubes are my choke point right now and so that is not too significant, I have a bunch of thermal power plants burning hydrogen, I have just started running it through fractionators to get deuterium but that hardly uses any. I keep having to make stacks of storage towers to pull hydrogen off my belts then just stockpile it it or else my entire conveyor network chokes with the stuff and production of refined oil stalls thus breaking my factory chains.

Should I just make SO MANY power plants and power my main planet off burning hydrogen instead of the current solar panels? Or is there something I am going to need tens of thousands of hydrogen for just around the corner?

You'll need a bunch in the future but once you get the ability to suck Gas Giants dry you'll have an unlimited source of it. I've taken to running all my excess hydrogen through a huge S loop of Fractionators and using whatever is left in Particle Colliders to get as much Deuterium as possible.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

explosivo posted:

If you have too much Hydrogen, send it to your generators for fuel. I routed my Hydrogen through my generator line because my refined fuel was gone and now I'm also out of Hydrogen. :ohdear:

You need those gas suckers!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

OwlFancier posted:

I don't have any generators because I have unlimited solar power :v:

But yes I could build some, the main issue is still balancing the thing, if I had the factorio sensor logic system it would be easier.

Factorio's logic system drove me to distraction.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Ciaphas posted:

By the way how are people using planetary logistics? I have a very obvious need for interplanetary (titanium and silicon on one planet with no oil :argh:), but I'm a little unsure what problems planetary might solve that aren't solved more cheaply with belts.

Honestly, it's easier to use the stations and plop one down where I need basic stuff like iron plates or titanium. Also my massive factory that exists only to crank out engines to fuel my engine empire because holy poo poo does everything need a lot of drat engines.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
In 30 hours Ive had one mine deplete on me.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

deep dish peat moss posted:

Make sure to leave a few inches of water for your water pumps!!

Pro tip: If you're like me and close games by Alt-F4ing heads up that the "Continue" button on the main menu will load your save from the last time that you exited through the menu, so if you ever hit Continue and think you lost progress make sure to load your most recent autosave or manual save

Pro tip: You can pave over your water sources and your pumps will continue to pump water! That probably won't last.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Note: It is possible to sail to another star without using warp. But holy poo poo it takes forever.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
My bottleneck is now trying to make enough warp bubble things.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You can also use tab to select filters when building grabbers from buildings that have more than one output, like refineries.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Not as of yet.

Edit: My first Dyson Sphere part is away!

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 25, 2021

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Efficiency ratios are for suckers. Just wing it!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Diogines posted:

Has anyone found a way to take directly from a building without opening it up?

Not sure if you can.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Im now building a secondary factory in my second system and may have forgotten to bring warp fuel with me . :negative:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Im hours into building this factory.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Demiurge4 posted:

Is there an easy way to upgrade belts? I can't drag a long line of tier 2 belts over my old ones but I can do drag it one piece at a time and its kind of a chore. Same for sorters and assemblers.

Nope. Other than deleting and replacing, there's no other way yet.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

LifeSunDeath posted:

there's upgrades for a bunch of stuff next to research tab. I wonder how much your mech speed improves with them though, haven't done but a few upgrades so far.

A lot.

This is just such a great feeling to watch. Fly, my pretty research, fly!

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 26, 2021

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Flinging myself into another star system without warp fuel actually worked out great in the long run. However I've noticed that I can't move said warp fuel back and forth by itself. So it may be better to ship lenses or green cubes and turn them into warp fuel on the opposite side.

I got lucky in my third system and found the crystal I can turn in nanotubes!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

seaborgium posted:

Is there a decent way to set up your oil refineries so they're neater? I got into red science finally and apparently you need a bunch of refineries to get a decent amount of hydrogen and with the way they have outputs and inputs I can't figure out how to get crude in and the products out without a massive amount of twisting that just doesn't work or takes up 5 times the amount of space it should.

Just go end to end and use one side of input and the other for output.

Your grabbers can stretch three spaces.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Ok so solar sails are more important than I thought. When you are build the inner shell of your Dyson Sphere, the sails will get pulled in to form the energetic shell.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 26, 2021

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

TwystNeko posted:

That's really nice and compact, but don't you have issues with resource starvation for refineries further down the line?

I set my refinery farm up with splitters everywhere. WAY more spaghetti, but no blockages / starvation.

On a tip note: if you want to upgrade a T1 storage to a T2 storage, you can CTRL-click the items in the T1, even if you can't hold them in your inventory. They just hang out on your cursor. Then you can click on the T2 and deposit them. Don't right-click though, you'll lose whatever you've got.

That setup only exists to fill a small gap in my hydrogen production. The fuel gets turned into plastic.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

explosivo posted:

This is exactly how I have mine set up except I only have one row of oil going up the middle. It's infintely expandable as long as you have the space to move in that direction, just have to knock out the conveyors at the end and wrap them around once you add more to it.

I discovered using the three down the middle work best with long lines as it ensures there's rarely no resources at the end of the line and keeps production fairly steady.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm seeing more and more screenshots of people lining up mini malls that start and/or end with an intraplanetary hub and I'm reconsidering my entire design choice of spaghetti everywhere. It just looks so much nicer to have the logistics depots requesting the 3 things that chain of assemblers needs and going from there.

This is what I've started doing and the only issue is that it's extremely power hungry.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

IcePhoenix posted:

ugh the closest oil to me is so far away :(

I wish the wireless chargers had a bigger range so I didn't have to just haul a bunch of coal around to power my robit

Dont forget to stack the wireless chargers around each other to charge yourself faster.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I just wanted to show another pretty picture.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Ciaphas posted:

I'm contemplating putting energized graphite on logistics, that's such a huge waste of power though :gonk:

Depending on how you're using it, it makes some thing a ton easier. I'm making so much that I ship it off planet to power generators outside of my starter world.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
And now my bottleneck is Deuterium. I need SO MUCH to make strange matter so I can make Lenses so I can make warpers.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Coolnezzz posted:

Built 10 orbit collectors around my gas giant, the logistics vessels are picking up the hydrogen but not the deuterium, which is really why I set them up. I have a dedicated interstellar logistics station set to just deuterium local supply/remote demand and a dedicated hydrogen interstellar logistics station set to the same, which is working. The orbit collectors are all set to local storage/remote supply and hydrogen gets picked up just fine. Any idea what gives? I also have a planetary logistics station demanding deuterium but the logistics vessels just won't pick it up.

Orbit collector:

Hydrogen logistics station:

Deuterium logistics station:

They all have power, vessels and drones. No idea why the deuterium isn't coming in.

Edit: I think it may be because there has to be enough available to fill a logistics vessel, will see in about 10 minutes.

Edit2: yep that was it, just needed to wait.

Whatever the bottom resource is, in this case Deuterium, not only collects slowly but is also slowly burned to keep the gas collectors flying.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Splicer posted:

Is it realistically possible to play this without having to pave the habitable planets? I don't like stripmining biospheres :(

Easily.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

OwlFancier posted:

I really like that you can use the logi towers as just, a giant splitter. I would love a version with more filters and no logi functionality, perhaps. Like literally just a gigantic splitter.

I do this too lol.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

OwlFancier posted:

I would love even more if you could stack them and transfer between stacks, just a gigantic tower constantly eating and making GBS threads out a million different resources.

Considering the logistics tower is supposed to be a space elevator, and the very top is above the "atmosphere", gawddamn that would be huge

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Im hoping for an orbital layer.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

OwlFancier posted:

It doesn't seem to care if a gas giant orbits in front of the sun, it doesn't seem to block solar power though it does block railguns. I don't know if they're planning to add that.

After watching my receivers, it does seem the gas giant has some effect on them, but not much. It's still considered connected but I drop 2mw.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Ciaphas posted:

yikes lol

In reality the bus is working fine, I think I'm letting myself worry too much about running out of space 'cos I see the curving horizon :v:

(e) I want to move my solar sail launching to the innermost planet in the system - one that isn't constantly obscured by hosed up orbits and a gas giant. Only question I have now is, do I keep making the sails on 'earth' and ship them to 'mercury', or do I turn earth into a massive Sulfuric Acid Factory and ship that to Mercury? Hmmmm

I have gun platforms all over both my closest worlds shiping sails all over the place, that seemed to work best. Even with my Sphere hoovering up sails to make the shell Im still sitting at 10k sails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

OwlFancier posted:

Sure is cool how massive the sphere looks if you put its orbit close to one of the planets in the system, would be real nice if I could convey the grandeur of the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUamHEvVQy0

It just sits there, judging me.

Every time I see it I break out into goofy rear end giggles hahahah