Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm brand new to this genre, I played the Factorio demo for a few hours then I picked this up and I'm fuckin obsessed. Anyway, as a noob I found this dude's approach appealing and it really opened my eyes to how to structure production lines in ordered ways, use of elevation and random stuff like buffer boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztZJVopsjhM

Sorry to the vets to whom this is old hat but I've been watching a lot of DSP youtubes and I've learned the most from this guy, so highly recommend to those new to logistics games. (I honestly thought I'd hate them which is why I never played factorio really but uh, turns out I really, really like them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Manyorcas posted:

seeing speghetti factory screenshots

OK here are my first five planets at the moment I quit and started a new one. I've started over every day except 4 I played for 2 days, started 5 this morning.

Five is the first time I've sustained 1 red cube per second, it was some x-ray cracking cluster gently caress that inspired me to start over the last three times. Four was the worst spaghetti wise but I had zero oil in the equatorial latitudes. And it was my first off world trip.

Also it's the first time it occurred to me that I'm the Borg.

awesmoe posted:

as I understand it theres no extra power cost per unit moved. so yes, I use sorter 3s (and belt 3s) everywhere because faster > slower. And because having to make the decision for the edge case (where you're consuming something fast from a belt two tiles away) is dumb, as is having to carry around the stack of 2s in your inventory.

you can also do thermalgen-to-thermalgen sorter, without belts in between. so just rack up rows of ten thermal generators in a row, stick a bunch of them next to each other, and swap the input to whatever you have too much of at the time. redoing the power isnt really that big a deal (unless you're doing a solar belt and accidentally put your early base on the equator :smith:)

Ah see I thought you had to do clever timing things about ratios and use Mk1 stuff, but you're saying just use the fastest one? That makes things simpler.

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 18, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arcturas posted:

Why quit and start over? Just ignore the spaghetti and start new spaghetti somewhere else!

Oh, I'll know it's still there, even across the vastness of space.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jester Mcgee posted:

I started using the copy inserters mod. It’s made the game so much more fun. I no longer dread the necessary scaling up as I’m getting into green science.

Yeah it's been solid so far, if not always perfect. Hard to tell which way it's going to orient the sorters, in or out. No crashes or weird technical glitches.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know there's a mod to put godmode on a hotkey, but for the life of me I can't find it

It turns off out of build mode :sweatdrop:

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 18, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What is yalls cubes per second target

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So far the UI/UX is really intuitive, and the user actions make sense. Laying a conveyer, only to have to delete something, press x and then right click and you're right back to laying conveyer (or what ever you were placing) Shift-copy is a great timesaver, and even better with the mod. Anytime I've been irked by something, almost always I was usually making it too hard- trying to thread a needle on a splitter when you just drag and drop for example. Even the road laying AI (?) seems pretty good, and the use of shift works really well with it. There's a lot still I'd like to see improved, keybindings are necessary, I'd love to have my crafting menu on M4 for example, sorters are really hard to click, etc. Also the localization is abysmal, at least I finally got a mod to turn the adviser off.

It occurs to me that this game kind of does what Spore was supposed to do, in that you massively expand the scope of the game. Obviously you dont' start small, but going from just one dude zapping his space ship to building intergalactic dyson spheres, the scope increases by an order of magnitude once you go from conveyers to logistics, and then again when you go off planet logistics and then (I'm assuming) again when you go between solar systems.

Also are you like a dude in the gundam or a human conscious AI in the gundam

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 19, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

It's a robit you are remotely piloting from inside your station inside of the Second Life simulation all of humanity lives in now.

How tall is it?

Also, I turned off the music and instead have been looking for chill space game OSTs to play as background, any of yall got some good suggestions?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JD Plays says that the mkII assembler isn't worth it because it's not fast enough to change ratios but it's a much higher power draw, is he overrating power consumption here (he, a Texan, asks)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Got interplanetary logistics, set up a mining/smelting planet and utterly demolished every strand of spaghetti on the homeworld, and it feels so good. Sorted every item into its own large chest unggggg.

How do you guys set up your storage? One challenge is literally getting a good camera angle to see a chest, so I went with pillars of four chests arranged in a checkerboard pattern, which works alright but is pretty sprawly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's not what the towers are for!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The scale of this game is ridiculous.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've gone from millimeter adjustments on rotation to try and capture just one more node to "If I can get a full belt, that's enough"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd been dreading the equatorial solar belt but after my power keeps dropping out because my hydrogen system gets clogged up and stops feeding my thermals, but with god mode on it's a piece of cake. As soon as you put one down it automatically moves to the next space, the whole thing took me maybe 10 minutes. As someone whose experience with these types of games is simcity and minecraft, the ease/speed at which this game lets you build things (and take things down) is great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As we learned here in Texas last week, thermal power generation isn't reliable. Of course that wasn't because ERCOT got all their hydrogen jammed behind a single graphite cube because they put a sorter in backwards.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can I get an energy generator tier list, are the satellites worth a poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

necrotic posted:

Correct. You can leave the supply side completely unpowered.

Reaganomics!

crime weed posted:

Do note that leaving it permanently unpowered effectively halves the throughput of the outpost.

:hmmyes:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just found out about the alt key mode for copyinserters :prepop:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arcturas posted:

Alt key mode?

If you have your template building set up, instead of clicking to place, if you press - not hold - alt it starts a draggable line of assemblers or smelters or whatever, all with sorters.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ice Fist posted:

Got this game. First in the genre for me. I'm like 90 hours in and I can't stop trying to create "The Perfect Factory" (tm). I've created factories for blue, red, and yellow cubes, but I keep going to back to try and automate my factories that create advanced conveyor belts. All my ideas keep loving up so I keep trying and I never make any progress and I can't stop optimizing my poo poo holy gently caress someone help me where has all my time gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve4pH3WN9gs

I guess I was trying to play this too much like factorio (or at least how I saw it was played, I have maybe 10 hours in it), where you try to make efficient early game product lines that you can build upon as you tech up, but once you get logi towers that whole system is obsolete. I started a new planet where I'm rushing logi towers and doing a lot of ad hoc box-linked assemblers and handcrafting only what is absolutely necessary, planning to transition to full automation ala the above video.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 24, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can you put items directly on a conveyer or is this all box/sorter

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tirranek posted:

Right, so I have a question about late game for this. A friend of mine who's played Factorio loads says that drones in that game aren't really a substitute for belts. Would you say it's the same for DSP or are they that much better?

They are fully a substitute for belts. You're going to need belts for running stuff to machines, but once you get logi towers in the early mid game, you won't need any kind of bus or 200 length belt running oil into your refineries.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's your favorite mistranslation? I'm partial to "soil pile".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rails go on the poles right? I’m 100+ hours into this game and I’ve never even made one step on my Dyson Sphere program, the CentreBrain is gonna have my rear end

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Probably the biggest issue with this game is grid crushing and the way it limits your build to the sub tropical latitudes. I get this is an issue of geometry and not programming, but is there some improvement that could be done or are we slaves to topology here

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

boar guy posted:

just build your smelters latitudinally and your fabricators longitudinally and you're golden

No I get that and restrict builds into regions of the same grid scale, I just wondered if there was something that could improve it or if that's just how it's gonna be. I mean it's fine, love the game it's great, not blaming DSP for the laws of mathematics but when you get that 45 degree angle or you set something up and it wont connect because of weird geometry it's irritating.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dunno if this is new but this miner tracker is exactly what I've been after as far as tracking resources, especially what's in my logi towers

Now I just need one to remind what box on what planet I put that stack of smelters into....

Also, in the production window, in the production column, is that just active production or capacity

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 27, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm turning a planet into a Blighted Forgeworld, how many slots on how many big towers do I have to set to remote supply for each item to ensure I'm getting max throughput back to my Blighted Factoryworld?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You can’t define “max throughput” without knowing “max consumption”. So it depends on how forgey your forge is.

E: and since interplanetary travel is limited to 10 vessels per tower, max “output” per tower over time depends on travel distance too.

Any ballpark idea for what kind of tower slot per output unit ratio, or do you just adjust the dial until it's there

Also this thing is less than an AU from my homeworld, it's so close I love it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

awesmoe posted:

slots dont matter too much, compared to ships. you've got 10 ships on the supply tower, and you've got M demand towers with 10 ships each. each ship takes N cargo (depending on tech) and takes Y seconds to do a run (depending on tech). so if your supply tower is getting stuff belted in at > ((10+10M)*N)/y you're golden
i think
maths is hard

you can do 270360/second input to a tower max, i guess, so thats your hard limit on throughput

Whoa thanks

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm between purple and green science and I've never gone to another system, does something happen that requires a massive expansion of resources because I got everything covered pretty well with my home system so far

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Admiral Ray posted:

Yeah, I ran into this too. Another QoL improvement I'd like (maybe bundle it with Universe Exploration 3 or 4) is to be able to see the max output of a planet's raw materials. I like to plan my manufacturing lines out based on that, which isn't terrible to do in an excel sheet, but it'd be really nice if it was part of the planetary dashboard.

I'd like to see a max production/actual production stat, I don't know if my iron ore usage is far outstripping my iron ingot usage because I unclogged my hydrogen line and all my forges turned on at once and started cramming ingots into storage or if I actually need to build more miners

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

awesmoe posted:

this depends on how you organize your miners tho.

unrelated - people should check the list of mods. there are things that do what a lot of you have been asking for (to one degree or another) already

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

awesmoe posted:

using the mod which means you dont have to have soil piles

I've been avoiding mods that change game play like making auto-smelt miners but that sounds dope, is the mod name obvious?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DysonProgram/status/1366676382928039938?s=19

Oh thank god

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

My desire for blueprints has gone down very drastically since the copy inserters mod became useable and stable.

Very true, it's a big help.

I have a pretty standard format for my smelter lines, my 2-, 3-, 4- ingredient product lines - laying down an x-ray cracking set up is always a chore - so not having to repeat that over and over will be nice.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They're gonna break copyinserters I know it :ohdear:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Khorne posted:

It will be fixed if it ever breaks. Its code is very simple and multiple people contribute to it.

I wish they'd fix that using wasd to pan in god mode stops queued movement. Actually, I wish they'd make panning in god mode better in general. Maybe a "return to mech" key OR just toggle to non-god mode key which would do the same thing, edge scrolling speed adjustment, wasd scrolling speed adjustment, etc.

https://dsp.thunderstore.io/package/doobist/Toggle_God_Mode/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Couple of newish mods I like

This one is a replacement for advance build destruct

quote:

Select a building from the building bar or copy an exisiting building, then press LEFT ALT keyboard button to enter multibuild mode.

Left Mouse Click once to start building and Left Mouse Click one more time when you are happy with the placement of the copies.

Press + and - on your keyboard to increase / decrease the spacing between buildings

Press Z to 'rotate' the building path (if you are not buildin on a straight line)

FAQ
What are the limitations of this mod ?
This mod doens't allow to place multiple miners, oil extractors or orbital collectors.

What are the differences with AdvancedBuildDestruct ?
This mod uses a 'native-like' collision detection ensuring that your building are always correctly placed. It also take control of the building loop and trigger complex recalculation only when needed thus increasing the performance in building mode (no more frame drops), expecially when used together with CopyInserters.

It doesn't seem (or I can't find) a mass delete function, but in my case the times I've on- purpose mass deleted a line/ 10x10 block of smelters is about equal to the number of times I've accidentally mass deleted a line/10x10 block of smelters so I'll end up even there. Dunno if it's better than ABD yet, but the ability to modify the distance between is cool.

This one is a item build counter. Turns your belt tool into a measuring tape so no more counting squares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Roundboy posted:

Is there a wiki or calculator that gives you the ratios you need, not necessarily the total buildings you need?

Example being I don't know if I want 120/s or 500/s,. It I did find that you build engines : green motors : blue magnets in a 8 : 4 : 3 ratio to feed each other the end products I want to set up balanced lines but I don't have a production speed in mind

If I start to run out, I'll increase the assemblers

https://factoriolab.github.io/list?p=&s=dsp&v=1