Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The right angles are because that's the cheapest, simplest, fastest layout possible.

(Image courtesy of escapegoat)

Welcome to the 2020 Political Cartoons Award Thread! Now with a new, less offensive name!

We had a relatively low number of nominations from the thread and wiki in 2020 (I've been gathering them, don't worry), so I am actively soliciting additional nominations. Please read the 2020 thread and share your nominations here. You don't have to nominate in every category, and comics can be nominated multiple times for one award, or in multiple categories at once.

Please nominate additional politoons! 2020 was a helluva year, there's plenty to choose from. This awards process needs your support!

Voting

On February 21 we'll close nominations and I will restructure the thread for voting, listing all currently nominated comics. Voting will be easy: just pick a single comic from each category you want to vote in.

Rules and Suggestions

• Standard D&D rules apply.
  • Please don't quote all the images from a nomination post unless you intend to discuss all them.
  • Please do not use this thread for discussion of general political topics. Please do feel free to discuss your nominations and reasoning.
  • Please only post cartoons that were featured in the Political Cartoons thread and were published in 2020.
  • Post only one nomination post. Any future cartoon you would like to submit should be edited into that post.
  • Only submit one nomination per category.

NEW IN 2020: Special Awards!

If you believe a cartoon or cartoonist should receive a special, one-time or lifetime achievement award, please post about it in this thread.

2020 Kellies Kategories

• Worst Overall NEW!

• Worst Cartoon about a Tragedy

• Worst Cartoon about Terrorism

• Worst COVID-19 Cartoon NEW!

• Worst Q/Deep State Cartoon NEW!

• Worst Obituary Cartoon

• Worst Caricature

• Worst "A Thing Happened" Cartoon

• Worst Label

• Most Incomprehensible

• Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon

• Laziest Non-Gorrell Cartoon

• Most Easily Reinterpreted

• Most Willfully Dense

• Worst Gaslighter Cartoon

• Worst Primary Election Cartoon

• Worst General Election Cartoon

• Best Edit/Parody

Previous Years' Awards threads:
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 Mid-term, 2015, 2016 Mid-Term, 2016, 2017 Mid-term, 2017, 2018, and 2019.

You will be able to see the final winners on Wiki Sours, the SA Politoons wiki!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The right angles are because that's the cheapest, simplest, fastest layout possible.

{reserved for nominees}

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

{reserved for winners}

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Discendo Vox posted:

You will be able to see the final winners on Wiki Sours, the SA Politoons wiki!
Do you have a user account on the wiki? Due to spam, and because I have not yet had the time to update the wiki software and see if I can get some more spam prevention measures set up, user registration is currently disabled, and of course only users can edit. If you don't have an account, shoot me a PM and we'll solve it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I hereby nominate Ben Garrison for a lifetime achievement award for his obsession with drawing Trump as super muscular when he very much is not. Also for his general insanity.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I guess I'll start us off!

Laziest Non-Gorrell:

Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon:

Best Edit/Parody:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Technowolf posted:

Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon

Jesus loving christ, I hadn't seen this.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Worst Gaslighter

Most Incomprehensible

I, unlike Stantis, know what a desert is.

Worst Primary Election

Worst Covid

Most Willfully Dense? Worst Gaslighter? (Grifter or True Believer?)

Worst Depiction of Bernie by someone who has shown they're perfectly capable of a Bernie Caricature
Er, Worst Caricature

Laziest?

Worst About Terrorism
Worst Overall

Least Concealed Bigotry

Least Concealed Bigotry, Best Colorist

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 25, 2021

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

There is no water to be found anymore. All the soil has transformed into worthless shifting sand. Blowing in your eyes, blinding you. Nothing can grow anymore, except for these accursed cacti which spring up from nowhere unbidden. Even if you cut them open, there’s no water, just more sand inside, impossibly. Their only purpose is to sting you as you blunder into them while wandering through the sandstorm. You think you see a building in the distance, some shelter, any shelter, but it’s only an illusion vanishing as you get near. You can only scale hoodoos pointlessly, endlessly, never finding solace. Yelling into the wind to no one as you are pursued by a lone coyote. You are vaguely aware that eventually that coyote will be gnawing at your lifeless desiccated corpse.

Welcome to Prickly City.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Best edit/parody
https://twitter.com/AlenBlaekovi/status/1280227854496739328
(parody of )

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Worst Gaslighter Cartoon

I had a lot of these this year.

Laziest non-Gorrell

Least Concealed Bigotry (racism)

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Best Edit

Edit of this, nominated because of attention to detail in lettering:

Worst Cartoon About Terrorism

Laziest Non-Gorrell Cartoon

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon: Racism

(I'll put more in later, but that simply must be nominated.)

Edit: Sorry, I'll build up my collection and do a complete post of everything later.

After The War fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 26, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Please add any additional nominations in new posts so I don't miss them during entry.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

After The War posted:

Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon: Racism

(I'll put more in later, but that simply must be nominated.)

Edit: Sorry, I'll build up my collection and do a complete post of everything later.

The Least Concealed Bigotry: Racism category could easily be filled with nothing but Stiglich. I want to nominate this one because it actually led to newspaper editorial resignations and, probably, Stiglich getting kicked off Gocomics. (It was posted to GC, deleted, reposted, deleted again, reposted in black and white, deleted again, and a week later Stiglich was gone.)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

why is his hoodie covered in pubes

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I know it's not a category but I'll still nominate this one for Most Holy poo poo

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

When Bennett's good, he's good.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Worst Obituary Cartoon

Worst "A thing happened" (great conjunction)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Korthal posted:

Worst "A thing happened" (great conjunction)

Worst ‘fulfilled’ prophecy

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

These are my listed nominations from the 2020 thread. This probably doesn't help but, oh well.

Worst Overall

Most Easily Reinterpreted

Worst Overall

Laziest Non-Gorell

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This absolutely helps, thank you!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I am having to relive 2020 through the 2020 politoons thread, so it's taking awhile. I will have the nominations ready on the 21st. My deepest apologies for the delay.

ElbowRooming
Jan 27, 2021
Internethemsidadesigner

It is past the 21st, where is the nominations thread?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ElbowRooming posted:

Sorry, work's been a nightmare. I hear the issue slowing nomination collection has been fixed; I will finish populating the spreadsheet and test post tomorrow night.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ElbowRooming posted:

Sorry, it turns out the relevant bug still isn't fixed in the indexing of older threads, so I am having to go through manually. To keep me on track, I will begin listing my daily progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

2/25/2020: 47/463 pages done.