Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I've never played DT before and so have been using my all-in on DTA to familiarize myself with the gameplay and the characters. Ran the first portal crawl with the Ninja and managed to beat it with a little bit of health remaining. I thought Ninja was "fine" but the 50% chance to either take no damage or take all of it felt swingy, especially since Smoke Bombs take some work to set up. Granted, once you have them, the FAQ says that you can fudge dice rolls on them with cardplay, so that makes a pretty huge difference as well, but it's still a lot to ride on a single roll.

Looking through the sets, I think I prefer the slightly more complicated characters from Season 2, although Treant from Season 1 also looks stupid fun. I always gravitate towards "pet" classes so Artificer and Treant are both looking like potential favorites, as does Huntress.

I can see how the game would sing in PvP also; I have nieces and nephews who really dig Magic (I'm a longtime lapsed player with no interest in returning) and I can *totally* see how this will be their jam once we're allowed to start meeting up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
My wife and I hit the Barbarian boss last night and were... not thrilled. We did have to run him twice, but one thing I particularly hate about him is his potential to perma-stun you. He has a card that changes his bottom three rolls to 6s, meaning he just needs a single 6 to apply stun. We played it where he didn't get the card's effect for a second Offensive Roll Phase but he still managed to roll 4 6s (because his target, defined by the card, was 6's) and stun again to get a third Offensive Roll Phase.

Not super fun to have three Offensive Roll Phases against you, only one of which allows a Defense Roll.

We beat him on our second try but the frustration level was v. high.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Also, my wife really hated the fact that you can stuff your deck full of cards, but that aside from upgrading certain core cards (like 6's or whatever) from Loot cards, you run a real chance, if you get enough Loot, to stuff your deck with additional cards that keep you away from your class-related upgrades. I don't feel it as strongly as she did, but I can understand the frustration caused by a lack of culling. This just isn't that sort of game, but when cards are your only real reward from boss battles and all of them seem like a downgrade from your base deck, at least in terms of whether you'd prefer to draw a class card or that Loot card, it can be a bummer to finish a boss and get three cards you don't want.