Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

dwarf74 posted:

If you can afford it, the Battle Chests are absolutely the way to go. The trays and storage are drat near perfect. The only reason I'd buy a 2-pack is to try the game out and get a feel for it.

I have the prepainted minis. Most are great, some merely good. Thing is, they are a definite extravagance - they are only used for half the DTA scenarios, since the other half is Boss Battles with no moving around. I got them because I knew my kids would love them but they are 100% skippable. (Unless you really love minis, in which case, go to town.)

I fully agree on the storage - both the Battle Chests and Adventures have awesome storage and it was a :gizz: experience to punch everything out and sleeve it up and have it all fit perfectly in each box. Hell, there's even a section in the manual on how to put things into the card storage tray in Adventures. I got the minis too but honestly they're 100% skippable and I wouldn't have missed them. Adventures even comes with standees for all the characters and given how little they'll be used I don't think I would have minded just using them. They're decent though and it was cool being able to get a painted option. Oh, and they're also bigger scale than most D&D/Warhammer type minis, so they might not work well for too many things other than Dice Throne.

I'm looking forward to actually trying the game out now! Are most of the classes pretty well balanced against each other for a couple of new players learning the ropes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Got to try our first game tonight - I tried pyromancer and my wife tried the barbarian. The game was pretty close but my wife won with a 20 damage large straight attack when I was at 18 life and she was at 14. Her concussion attacks definitely messed me up and left me without any resources a couple times! We both really enjoyed it and I’m looking forward to trying out Adventures after getting a couple more games under my belt. It was nice that the basic turn structure is more or less the same as in Magic, and it’s a fun mix of randomness with strategy and deterministic actions when you need them. Being smart about using combat points and selling cards seems like it will take a few games to learn. The game also played pretty fast, probably 30 minutes for our first game.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

malkav11 posted:

One of the things I appreciate about the game is the Barbarian is the least complicated character, good as an intro to the game or for people who aren't big boardgamers...but he's also 100% on par with the more complicated characters in terms of effectiveness, probably stronger. Tough and hits hard. S'all you need sometimes.

Yeah, he seemed uncomplicated and it's nice only having two status effects to keep track of with him, but it didn't feel like either of our characters was vastly stronger than the other. I'll probably grab one of the 5 complexity ones next time just to see how different a more complex character is. The Treant looked pretty cool when I was looking at it, so I might give that a shot first and then try out a simpler character for our first foray into DTA.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Gerdalti posted:

Finally unboxed my copy tonight and started setting up a single player run for myself to learn/test. Used randomizer cards and am solo'ing a L1 scenario with the Samurai, whom I've never played.

So far very impressed. The only issue I had was that 2 of my CP tokens came apart (just one printed side fell off the cardboard). Nothing I can't fix with a little glue. I definitely notice a slight quality decrease in components from the original Season 1 KS to this, but not very much of one. The cards feel slightly less smooth for instance.

So now I have S1 original, the S1 extra classes, S2, 2 minis boxes, and Adventures.
This game takes up more room than Gloomhaven. I'm going to need more room when Frosthaven arrives.

It's a very large game, but that organization is :discourse:. I don't think I'd followed the gametrayz part very well, so I was fully expecting this to just be a shitload of dice and tokens haphazardly strewn around a box that I had to bag up myself. The fact that it's so quick to set up and put away is really appealing, since my wife basically automatically hated Gloomhaven from the get-go just due to the overwhelming setup. We still haven't tried Adventures yet, but hopefully the additional setup there isn't a turn-off for her, since we generally enjoy coop games more.

(Also, between this game and Bloodborne the two shelves I'd been keeping empty filled up pretty quick. Think I'm due for a reorganizing soon, since I have Etherfields, Oathsworn, and some other stuff all coming this year too.)

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Finally managed to get in a second game, this time Moon Elf vs. Shadow Thief. I don't think I was using my resources correctly as the shadow thief, because I kind of got blown out - my wife was still at 20 life when she finished me off. It's definitely a more complicated class though, and it's cool to have some strategy to playing the character beyond "roll dice more good". The whole concept of CP as potential damage is really cool, and I could see easily hitting for 12+ consistently on your large straights. Think we might give Adventures a shot next time!

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

dwarf74 posted:

Awesome!

Shadow Thief was extremely OP pre-nerf. He's still very powerful - but then again, so is the moon elf.

The key to shadow thief is, of course, to keep shadows going whenever possible. You can't infinitely loop it - the stack limit and removal timing block that - but between your defense and needing only 3 6's to hop back into it, it's not too hard to keep it going.

My rolls kind of sucked and I managed it like 3 times, one of which my wife removed with a card. I probably could have used more of my cards to keep it up and survived better. If I try ST in adventures I think I’ll have better luck!

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Helical Nightmares posted:

Arrived yesterday.

:neckbeard:

Nice! Those are the two classes I’ve played so far and they’re both a lot of fun.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

With my wife recovering from knee surgery we’ve managed to get a few more games in over the last few days. We did treant vs ninja and paladin vs moon elf (I finally won in the game with the paladin!) so now monk is the only S1 character we haven’t tried out.

Treant was cool and the companion mechanic was pretty interesting. I think it would take me a couple more games to really get a handle on knowing when to spend or upgrade my spirits most effectively. I used the heal and 1CP spirit the most, and probably was undervaluing the reroll guys. Still turned out to be a pretty close game in the end, and my wife was at 1 life when she killed me.

Paladin was really fun, with tons of resource advantage due to repeatable card draw and all the roll abilities that give CP. I managed to have protect, accuracy, and crit up pretty regularly and prevented a ton of damage from attacks during my defensive roll phase, then got a few good undefendable hits for 10+ in and used retaliate against a big attack to close out the game. Probably my favorite class so far!

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

dwarf74 posted:

Seems like the retail X-Men is going to use a different form factor than the tri-fold battle chest trays we've become used to, probably to cut manufacturing or shelf costs. Two boxes, four heroes each.

So. If you are gonna want it, now's the time I guess? I'm picturing something like the first printing of Dice Throne Season 1 with the flat cardstock boards. Which isn't terrible but it's a huge step down imo.

I saw that too, definitely a worse solution than the awesome trays and trifold boards. I’m sure it cuts down on shelf space a ton if you can have a flat stack of boards, a few tokens, a stack of cards, and 20 dice in a flat box, but one of my favorite things about DT is just how easy it is to grab your character and go. Hopefully they keep the existing battle chest format for future releases, at least on KS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

malkav11 posted:

It seems highly unlikely to me that Missions operates differently in that respect. Part of the point is that your heroes should interface directly with the coop content with what they do without needing them to have special hero specific content just for coop.

Also it's not like Tim Dicethrone is going to come to your house and punch you in the face if you do it wrong, so play it how it makes the most sense.