Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

If the Chiefs win, is Mahomes already a HoFer?

Provided he doesn't suffer a career ending injury soon? Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If he wins a second superbowl then gets butt cancer or whatever he's got at least the Terrell Davis resume, so yeah, presumably.

Which I mention so that I can say that 2000-2006, 2007-2014 and 2015-2021 Brady are each HoF careers.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Terrell Davis getting in recently really set the bar low.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Terrell Davis getting in recently really set the bar low.

Nah. Davis had like 2,500+ more yards than Gale Sayers, who was the definition of a peak vs longevity guy. Plus Davis had all his post season numbers, a 2,000-yard season where he basically played 13 games, and an MVP. He had to wait a while to get in, and that was fine.

The low bar, if anything, was Lynn Swann. He’s entirely in because of a couple of NFL Films highlights and being the softest bitch on the 70’s Steelers.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I’m entirely okay with the candle that burns twice as bright getting in over long career accumulators. Being the best about in the league and winning a chip for two straight seasons is enough in my book.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

My view is if you're a top player at your position for like 3 seasons, you deserve to be in the HoF.

Like it should be a no doubter that Patrick Willis should be in or Calvin Johnson.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

fartknocker posted:

Nah. Davis had like 2,500+ more yards than Gale Sayers, who was the definition of a peak vs longevity guy. Plus Davis had all his post season numbers, a 2,000-yard season where he basically played 13 games, and an MVP. He had to wait a while to get in, and that was fine.

The low bar, if anything, was Lynn Swann. He’s entirely in because of a couple of NFL Films highlights and being the softest bitch on the 70’s Steelers.
Oh yeah there are guys way worst than Davis in, but him getting in so recently just makes any HOF conversation a sure why not for me.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Mahomes is already the greatest quarterback I've ever seen, he's the Barry Sanders of quarterbacks just doing poo poo that shouldn't be possible all of the time.

Its almost infuriating watching him hit a WR going full speed 25 yards down field with Mahomes' shoulders parallel to the route.

He's so good, but he is a human highligh real of "Dont do this. This shouldn't work"

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Paint Crop Pro posted:

He's so good, but he is a human highligh real of "Dont do this. This shouldn't work"

Isn't that Favre?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean for Farve a lot of the time it didn’t

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

a neat cape posted:

Isn't that Favre?

Favre through a ton more interceptions

He's Favre +1.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Paint Crop Pro posted:

Favre through a ton more interceptions

He's Favre +1.

Yeah, but guys were allowed to cover receivers back when Favre was good.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Can't tell you how many times people used Favre as a cautionary tale with Mahomes but Mahomes threw so many passes in college that his INT rate was very low and has continued to be low since he got in the league. In short he's a lot better than Favre.

The guy had 41 TDs and 10 INTs his junior year and draft profiles all called him some kind of funslinger. Never forget he threw three interceptions in a training camp practice and everybody flipped out.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean for Farve a lot of the time it didn’t

Yeah Favre had 3.3% INT rate.

Mahomes is 1.4% INT rate so far :psyberger:

And the last 2 seasons his INT rate is 1% lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Mahomes should be in the Hall if he retires today

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Yeah comparing INT rate from guys now to guys from before 2003 is kinda disingenuous.

What was Favre's INT rate post 2003 and pre 2003?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Favre took a lot of risks because he was strong enough he could just throw the ball so hard defenders wouldn't always be able to come down with it. I remember stories of him breaking WRs fingers because he threw at max power almost all the time.

Mahomes has a level of touch and finesse to go with his arm strength far beyond anything Favre had.

Don't get me wrong, Favre owns and is one of the best ever, but he also has the most ints ever because he was just slinging the ball with all he had.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Altogether now:

"He was just having fun out there!"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Favre could have done so much more if he gave a poo poo.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I like how most sane persons go "Mahomes is likely the best quarterback to ever play the game regardless of rings and is a HoFer three seasons into his starter career" and still a Chiefs poster managed to melt down a few days ago because in his eyes some dumb article didn't show his QB enough respect

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

a neat cape posted:

Yeah comparing INT rate from guys now to guys from before 2003 is kinda disingenuous.

I understand what you guys are saying about Favre and no doubt his interceptions would be lower with today's rules but on the other side of the coin I have just watched with my own eyes so many horrible decisions that turned into picks

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Favre could have done so much more if he gave a poo poo.

The Shaq of quarterbacks

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

a neat cape posted:

Favre int % by year:
1992 2.8
1993 4.6
1994 2.4
1995 2.3
1996 2.4
1997 3.1
1998 4.2
1999 3.9
2000 2.8
2001 2.9
2002 2.9
2003 4.5
2004 3.1
2005 4.8
2006 2.9
2007 2.8
2008 4.2
2009 1.3
2010 5.3

So not really a big change for him based on ruleset.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Favre 92 - 02 INT rate
3.12%

Favre 03 - 10 INT rate
3.61%

I excluded his rookie season where he had a 50% INT rate for obvious reasons

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

kiimo posted:

I understand what you guys are saying about Favre and no doubt his interceptions would be lower with today's rules but on the other side of the coin I have just watched with my own eyes so many horrible decisions that turned into picks

I mean it goes with any QB. Dan Fouts has almost a 1:1 TD/INT ratio because DBs were allowed to murder receivers

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mystic Stylez posted:

I like how most sane persons go "Mahomes is likely the best quarterback to ever play the game regardless of rings and is a HoFer three seasons into his starter career" and still a Chiefs poster managed to melt down a few days ago because in his eyes some dumb article didn't show his QB enough respect

Some Chiefs fans are idiots, but also many have Elvis Cassel PTSD which is a rare but serious condition

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ehud posted:

Favre 92 - 02 INT rate
3.12%

Favre 03 - 10 INT rate
3.61%

I excluded his rookie season where he had a 50% INT rate for obvious reasons

Lol I love Favre

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

a neat cape posted:

It actually went up, but he was old and got really dumb with the football as he aged.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

kiimo posted:

Some Chiefs fans are idiots, but also many have Elvis Cassel PTSD which is a rare but serious condition

Is this like the same condition Raiders fans had after Jamarcus where they thought Bruce Gradkowski was a good QB?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

In short

It was down to 2.2% this year.

Which really makes Jameis Winston that much more amazing.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
X for DPOY!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

In short

Don’t worry he got LASIK I’m sure he’ll be better 🙄

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kalli posted:

In short

Winston had throws he wanted to make and was not going to let reads get in his way

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It takes real loving effort to throw 30 interceptions because you’d usually get benched before then.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

You cant defend a perfect throw, and Im going to make every throw perfect*

*Results may vary

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Let's say Russ plays 2-3 more seasons at his current level and then retires. Does he get into the Hall?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Weird to say he'd already been in if they gave the ball to Marshawn on exactly one running play

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Manoueverable posted:

Let's say Russ plays 2-3 more seasons at his current level and then retires. Does he get into the Hall?

Not without an MVP vote

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I would say he deserves it, but might get squeezed by the current logjam of obvious HoF qbs retiring within a couple of years of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Manoueverable posted:

Probably, but likely not as a first ballot guy. He doesn’t have any All-Pros or MVPs, not really due to any faults of his own but largely the era that he plays in. That sort of thing can hold him up, much as it did all the pass rushers from the 80’s who played at the same time as LT. If he only has one ring, and that being in big part due to his defense, it’ll also hold things up, and it would then where he finishes statistically in key passing categories would begin to matter a lot more.