Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

In the last few years I've become accustomed to the sound of Amazon trucks / vans and the lovely sound they make when backing up.

This person on youtube thinks it's gone out or broken, but in fact, that's just the sound they make on purpose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArzbCcnsfb4

gently caress this sound. It sounds like poo poo! It is the sound of hockin a loogie.

1) Does anyone know why this sound seems to have been adopted in many trucks?

2) Please propose a replacement sound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

1) No.
2) Loud, comical fart sounds

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

My understanding it's specifically supposed to be harder to get used to and just tune out.

rotinaj
Sep 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

It is certainly hard to mistake for anything good or positive, which I assume is the reason for it. Reminds me of the blatting electronic sound used in ambulances when they need to say “no REALLY, get out of the way”

I propose the song move bitch get out the way anytime anything needs to come through, especially fire trucks

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Imagine the mating call of the yeti... Loud, large yet piercing and high pitch. I want that.

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

I switched about some search terms and was able to find a little more about it (only after posting of course)

Apparently this is thing for newer construction and trucks, and is not just an Amazon thing. They are marketing it as "White Sound", I guess because it is similar to white noise?

The purported advantage is that it is supposed to be harder to filter out, and is directional.

This guy's video looks like it's working somewhat effectively, as he stands to the side and it is not audible in the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8-tYI2adEY

However... based on my residential experiences, I hear that noise all throughout the day from over 100ft away at an oblique angle. Maybe the directionality is defeated due to reflections from buildings, and/or Amazon's implementation bungled it somehow. I dunno.

Here is a marketing video on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psWBaxtK19g

Anyway, I'd like to propose various guttural Arnold sounds instead.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Have the driver read your posts over a loudspeaker, op.
That will clear the area

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers

Top Cop

In Galaxy Quest when Tim Allen is riding in the limo with the Thermians, and he is told the lady Thermian's voice modulator is broken, and she just busts out with "YAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!"

That would get my attention every time. And make me smile.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012
Who do I have to piss off to get a red title?

If the sound is meant to be the opposite of white noise then a more fitting name would be black noise but I guess that would lead to a lot of awkwardness.

Charles
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom

Toilet Rascal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa28lIGuxq8

Here's a very short (1m45s) Tom Scott video about it.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Charles posted:

Never heard of this dude, but I think I'm about to go on a serious youtube binge.

I don't like the sound all the Prime vans make, but.. I get it.

Charles
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom

Toilet Rascal

Fartington Butts posted:

Never heard of this dude, but I think I'm about to go on a serious youtube binge.

I don't like the sound all the Prime vans make, but.. I get it.

He makes good videos generally, and the short ones are great when you're emptying the dishwasher or something boring.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015

What sound do the pig iron Halliburton trucks make now?

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Charles posted:

He makes good videos generally, and the short ones are great when you're emptying the dishwasher or something boring.

I found his video explaining cross site scripting in a cafe when but a wee code nerd and now look at him, all grey hair tromping around the countryside and still entertaining as hell.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004
Im gonna put cupcakes on your mind

SHWAAARNNNT

SHWAAARNNNT

SHWAAARNNNT

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

BLORANGE

There are a couple major construction sites next to me and the new backup sound is an absolute godsend. The old version was piercing and impossible to ignore even at a distance, despite apparently being super easy to ignore for folks who actually need the warning. With the new one, a dozen trucks can be racing across the site backwards and you'd have to actively focus to notice any of the signals from a distance because they just fade into the background. But they're apparently better at warning people who actually need to be warned?

They're just better in every possible way, OP. In short:

1)
2) the same sound or one scientifically proven to do the job better

Play
Apr 25, 2006

So I roll with a rolling thunder
And I howl with the howling wind
And I drift downstream for as long as it takes
To get up and around the bend

Eyyy back that dump truck up baby

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I think every truck ought to have 7 foot razor sharp spikes on the back as a tactile warning for backing up in addition to the sound and smell systems. I suggest the smell of freshly dug earth mixed with bear urine.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012

In similar vein, vehicles that still use some sort of beeping are starting to use beep patterns that alternate or change speeds. The reasoning is we're so used to hearing the standard beeping that we just tune it out. Also, I've noticed that brake lights on city buses and other commercial vehicles now often do some sort of alternating flash pattern rather than a rhythmic pulsing flash.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Self Defense
Nil Satanus carborundum

Yeshua akbar!
(Xtian anarchisto, no bombo)

It'd be a whole lot less annoying than the constant BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! like the ones inflicted on me when there's roadworks near me at night.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Represent!

i hate it. if they needed something more noticeable they should have used the old sound, just louder.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

A Little Known FACT: Burger King's Bacon King is superior to the Baconator.

Some company has convinced major construction companies that they need this noise instead of the old one OP so their company can make lots of money with the new reverse sound. Hope that helps.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It's bulbasaur!

Charles posted:

You'd think with the large volume of air pressure devices already in place at a site like that, that sound would be ineffective as a warning.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ301QEoo9Y

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

your ears are better at detecting the direction a sound is coming from if it is spread over a wide frequency range (i.e. white noise) didnt read thread

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I want the cheesy sound effect of ricocheting bullets instead of the beep beep. Just go all Bzonk! pzow!

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of "meh"

Just a guy yelling "HEY!, HEY!, HEY!, HEY!" over and over as it backs up

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

combine it with a ultrasonic distance detector that curses at you increasingly angrily depending on your distance from the vehicle

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i would like to be run over by a reversing truck

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i would like to be run over by a reversing truck

many people are saying that this is sexual. it is NOT sexual

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

The rubbish men in the town I grew up in had one that was a loud beep then a robot voice saying STAND WELL CLEAR - VEHICLE REVERSING over and over which worked I guess

Play
Apr 25, 2006

So I roll with a rolling thunder
And I howl with the howling wind
And I drift downstream for as long as it takes
To get up and around the bend

No what they should do is develop technology like the citizen alert system where if a truck is backing up within 20 meters of you an amber alert-style warning will start playing on your phone

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

One time I got super high and got really into reading about this sort of thing, there are constantly papers on what are the most effective lights/sirens for various uses

https://asa.scitation.org/doi/10.1121/2.0000507

https://asa.scitation.org/doi/10.1121/1.4970281

https://scholar.uwindsor.ca/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=5966&context=etd

its neat i guess and i agree theres constantly construction beeping and poo poo, its super easy to tune out.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 26, 2021

Weka
May 5, 2019

And if you gaze long into an abyss, you will say `look, no ring.`

I just pulled the reverse beeper out of one of my 4x4s. If I ever feel the situation requires one, I just yell "BEEP, BEEP, BEEP" out the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Encapsulated Indulgence

This is actually 5 seconds of a TOOL song that Bezos bought the rights for