Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Have you played Foxhole? Have you played Battlefield? Have you ever wanted a crossover episode?

Look no further; 2021's finest hiking simulator has arrived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1NUjA2d-qw

Realistic(ish) time to kill. You'll constantly be getting domed by things you can't see!

Built-in radio comms networks and positional voice chat. All the loving horrible mil-sim fuckwits you could ever want. Never play on the German side: It's just someone with Horst-Wessel-Lied on repeat playing from their phone.

LOGISTICS.

Multi-crew armor. Die to AT mines with your friends!

Overall side command and individual squad commanders. Aforementioned mil-sim fuckwits will be screaming at you over aforementioned voice comms!

This thing could be a lot of fun with goons. It's not very much fun without goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

This game is far more complicated that it initially seems, but the beauty of it is that if you just wanna run around and shootmans, you can totally do it. I like how many roles you can take in this game, and the tanking is tons of fun, since it straddles a line between sim and arcade, and some of the more difficult elements ensure that the roles are usually filled by someone who knows what their doing (Most of the time).

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Duck_King posted:

This game is far more complicated that it initially seems, but the beauty of it is that if you just wanna run around and shootmans, you can totally do it. I like how many roles you can take in this game, and the tanking is tons of fun, since it straddles a line between sim and arcade, and some of the more difficult elements ensure that the roles are usually filled by someone who knows what their doing (Most of the time).

My first experience with armor was spawning into an open crew slot, seeing the tank with my two squadmates driving away with both of them talking on squad chat about how fast the Sherman was compared to the Tiger, and then just as they were about to disappear over the hill they hit a mine and died horribly. The comedic timing was amazing.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

I think fun can be had by random people. I don't know anyone who plays this game and I just play with random people using a mic. I would say if you don't want to use a mic it probably will not be that great of an experience. If I can't find a good squad I just make one or I run around with a satchel trying to blow up tanks depending on the map.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiejYMy-_FE

Recorded this the other night. One of the better pub tank crews I've been in. Both teams were playing very well, with lots of coordination. We were parked on the western side of the objective, and generally just making the attacking US team's lives difficult enough that they started dropping smoke shells on us (I've never seen a team do this before aside from myself), and then HE shells, and then a bombing run.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

I always forget to record after something cool happens, but here is me tackling a tank. I think the most fun though is attaching Satchel charges, but the explosions are pretty with both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my-SLcITC80

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Keep looking at this title but not sold, can someone explain the less shooty mechanics? I'm the odd man out who loves doing things like backline support in most games, jow does that translate here gameplay wise? Will someone be building trenches or sandbag fortifications or running ammo and supplies to some FOB?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

I can try and explain the supply system. At the top there is a commander that has 3 resources he uses to call in various things like bombing runs, supplies, tanks, etc. The engineer class can build nodes of these resources and it gives your team more resource points. The engineer can also build all sorts of bunkers and walls and road blocks. To build these you need supplies. The ways to get supplies are the commander can drop them if they have enough manpower resource, the support person can drop some every five minutes, or you can use a support truck and run supplies all day and build all you want. Some people do and it does help hold points, especially in the one game mode where they have to be on the point, if you make a bunch of concrete bunkers and fill them with MGs, it can really be hard to take the point, and someone has to build all that.

The building system for bunkers and walls has 3 levels, wood, then you can upgrade to sand bags and then concrete. Each one has different bullet penetration properties, wood being easy to shoot through and concrete impossible with sandbags only penetrated by tanks and rockets I think.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 27, 2021

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I'm gonna give this a try

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Amazing Member posted:

Keep looking at this title but not sold, can someone explain the less shooty mechanics? I'm the odd man out who loves doing things like backline support in most games, jow does that translate here gameplay wise? Will someone be building trenches or sandbag fortifications or running ammo and supplies to some FOB?

What Rusty said, and believe it or not, it's a huge role that not enough people take advantage of, so playing resource gathering is always appreciated. You can place resource nodes that gain manpower, ammo, and fuel, and when making fortifications, it helps to have a supply driver drive back and forth to keep the supplies for building going.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

I keep wanting to compare this game to red orchestra but it's like someone took a lot of valid criticisms of where RO chooses simulator features over approachable gameplay, and remedied some of them to the best of their ability. It's definitely not as arcadey as battlefield but it's not as impenetrable as red orchestra, but on the other other hand, you definitely want to use all the concealment and cover you can while advancing, you definitely need to work as a team/unit to succeed, and you definitely will end up waiting 40 seconds to spawn if you don't slow down and stay low. I keep thinking I'm going to bounce off it but I just keep playing and I'll be hosed if I'll ever figure out why. Maybe it's the lack of planes, maybe it's how effective they make coordinated fire and maneuver stuff.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

After some videos and the responses here, I found it on sale on indigala for $20 and decided to try it out.

Its ok, teamwork seems to be very important but I havent found any squad lead using comms. I kinda like whats already here but I feel like there's a lot more they can add to it since there only seems to be 1 armor for both sides. I'm only 90 mins in so thats my hot take. Will probably try it again sometime today when its normal us east coast hours and see if its better then.

Is there a discord or something for goons?

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FAUXTON posted:

...maybe it's how effective they make coordinated fire and maneuver stuff.

Artillery or a strafing run of a fortified position followed by a coordinated assault is something Iíve only seen brought off once, but holy poo poo was it cool as gently caress.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

MrYenko posted:

Artillery or a strafing run of a fortified position followed by a coordinated assault is something I’ve only seen brought off once, but holy poo poo was it cool as gently caress.

Yeah I don't know how they managed to make the game in such a way that team coordination and properly supported assaults are not only OP, not even only one way among many to win, but the only effective way to play the game. There's not really a way for a single poopsock-tier chucklefuck to dominate an entire map solo, not even a good way for a single squad to do it, everything supports someone and needs support from someone else and it's all delegated out broadly enough that you've got to have, like several squads acting together and by that point it's just "teamwork OP" all over again.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Amazing Member posted:

Is there a discord or something for goons?

The Chugging The Stairs Mumble goons play it pretty regularly.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796734

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Duck_King posted:

The Chugging The Stairs Mumble goons play it pretty regularly.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796734

wow mumble works on modern PCs?

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Pumped about 3 hours into this so far, its... interesting. Feels a little janky on the infantry side, getting stuck on random piles of bushes or awkwardly standing on top of a fence feels not good.

Got into some armor and liked the experience but again, the movement is.. wonky. God forbid your fender bumps into a hill without your big bad tiger tank flopping around like a desperate fish on dry land.

The best thing so far has been communication between squaddie and squad leade and squad leads to the commander though im having random voice service drops where it just stops working period and I don't know if anyone can hear me or why I can't hear anyone.

I'm stuck with it now, but it's not terrible. I'll keep playing some

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Amazing Member posted:

Pumped about 3 hours into this so far, its... interesting. Feels a little janky on the infantry side, getting stuck on random piles of bushes or awkwardly standing on top of a fence feels not good.

I'm stuck with it now, but it's not terrible. I'll keep playing some

Crawling through brush under machine gun fire, and you crawl over a rock that has such a huge hit box that youíre momentarily silhouetted above the grass and you get turbo boned...

It has potential, certainly.