Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think fun can be had by random people. I don't know anyone who plays this game and I just play with random people using a mic. I would say if you don't want to use a mic it probably will not be that great of an experience. If I can't find a good squad I just make one or I run around with a satchel trying to blow up tanks depending on the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I always forget to record after something cool happens, but here is me tackling a tank. I think the most fun though is attaching Satchel charges, but the explosions are pretty with both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my-SLcITC80

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I can try and explain the supply system. At the top there is a commander that has 3 resources he uses to call in various things like bombing runs, supplies, tanks, etc. The engineer class can build nodes of these resources and it gives your team more resource points. The engineer can also build all sorts of bunkers and walls and road blocks. To build these you need supplies. The ways to get supplies are the commander can drop them if they have enough manpower resource, the support person can drop some every five minutes, or you can use a support truck and run supplies all day and build all you want. Some people do and it does help hold points, especially in the one game mode where they have to be on the point, if you make a bunch of concrete bunkers and fill them with MGs, it can really be hard to take the point, and someone has to build all that.

The building system for bunkers and walls has 3 levels, wood, then you can upgrade to sand bags and then concrete. Each one has different bullet penetration properties, wood being easy to shoot through and concrete impossible with sandbags only penetrated by tanks and rockets I think.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 27, 2021

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I almost always play with randoms and have a great time. I have added people I play with over the months but I would still say I play 95% of the time with random people and as long as there is some communication, it's a really great game. If the SL doesn't talk or drop deploy points, I just jump squads until I find someone who will. I like this game so much it's pretty much the only game I play right now, or until the next Battlefield game.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Pharnakes posted:

What does this have going for it that Post Scriptum doesn't?
A lot more people play it, I can't answer more than that since I don't own it, but the main reason I don't own it is that the population is really low. From what I have seen, the maps look a lot better in HLL.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Pharnakes posted:

SO it's more of an RO descendent in spirit then? Is it still one hit to kill with rifle calibre weapons?
Yes, one hit kill for rifles at varying distances depending on the rifle. I think the Kar98 is the longest one hit kill and the carbine the shortest.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
They claim that the 1.0 release in one week will speed up performance by up to 20%. Hopefully that's true, I run on a 3080 and still get stuttering issues and large frame drops still.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I normally find a squad with mics, but if I don't I just keep looking until I find one or start my own squad and use the mic tag and I find people who are looking to communicate will join. I mostly play on west coast servers but I would join a goon squad if someone coordinated a time we could get together. I have about 800 hours in this game now, so it's mostly all I play for the last few months.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think it's that way on purpose, they know people are going to setup in that house, players just need to figure out how to deal with it or not get the point. I have had 60 kills multiple times with the garand, so 57 as an MG, while a lot, isn't game breaking.

Edit: Garand example, since it is semi-auto and one hit kill to any body part up to like 150m you can take out a whole squad easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Deb3uu5Hh4

Edit: Also this new St Marie Du Mont map is really nice, I only thought we were getting two maps, but this is a complete re-work and looks amazing.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 28, 2021

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Well, I have like 900 hours in to it and I still have really bad games. I had a time when I really struggled at this game and just did engineer for a couple of months. You can still get in to battles, but also you can take a break, get a supply truck, build some nodes, or on a stalemate game, bring some supplies up to the front line and build some defenses. You also get AT mines and AP mines so it's a fun class, I maxed it out.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The lack of proper A/T does seem like an issue for the Russians, the only counter is really having tanks, and if you don't, it can be difficult to counter the medium tank and especially the Tiger. I think the way to use the A/T gun is to track the tank and try and have someone satchel, or have a tank help finish them.

As far as weapons, I think they are pretty balanced against the Germans, they get a bunch of automatics and the DP is pretty accurate in my experience and the bolt is exactly like the Kar.I think the thing they lack is a Gewehr equivalent but that only shows up in high ranked classes ( level 6 rifleman, level 6 assault, and maybe level 5 officer?)

Also I just really hate the suppression in this game, it's far too powerful and the Russian weapons really highlight how overpowered it can be. Like, even at 100m, they can make you not see anything and you end up a sitting suck with a Kar.

Edit: Okay, the SVT seems a lot like the Gewehr and sounds better, so I was wrong there.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 30, 2021

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Wrr posted:

Played my first match last night and had a good time. Lost my voice comms, in and out bound, when I turned off my blutooth headphones (mic was a usb desktop mic tho!) and the fun of the game dropped a lot when I wasn't bantering with my mates. Would love to play with goons some time.
If this happens you can go in to the audio settings and disconnect and reconnect again and it will usually give you comms back.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

George H.W. oval office posted:

The only sure fire way to know you got a kill other than scoreboard checking is to listen for that satisfying *ding* of a headshot.
You get hit sounds as well, they are a bit more subtle, but you can definitely tell. If you're in the rifle range of one shot kill and get a hit sound, they are dead. For the automatics, I know if I hear 3 hit sounds they are dead for the most part. I think the farther away the hit, the softer it is, I know from like 200m you don't hear it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I would say the most important thing in this game is taking down garrisons and taking down outposts, followed by killing the person who is able to place these things. You will have a hard time taking a point if they have a garrison and can spawn their whole team in 40 seconds. Also, as the defending team, you should have at least two garrisons for this reason and OPs all over the point if possible to see when they ping red.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The worst part about the start is people making squads and then leaving when the squad fills up.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the sector capture is four squares around the point in warfare and the strongpoint is 3x the sector cap weight.

edit: okay, maybe just 2x like you said now that I look.

Also to add content, support gets to see recon now which I think is a nice bonus for that role.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 9, 2021

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I don't like squad lead as I prefer just to take orders, but SLs drop so much I end up always taking over and thus have maxed out the class.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The only thing they changed about artillery is that it has a 2m-20m dispersion, which I guess means it is a bit less accurate now. Also the artilary has flight time, not sure what it is, but the closer you are the faster it lands, it can take a long time across the map.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I played a game on TL the line server where no one wanted to SL, so there were 5 squads with no SL, no one made any garrisons and we lost the second to last point before anyone could spawn and lost the game five minutes later. I think the first time I have ever seen the second to last point taken without a single person even close to it a couple minutes in to the game.

Edit: The game after that, we capped the middle point with 6 seconds left, closest game I have ever been in right after the worst blowout I have ever been in

Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 11, 2021

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I end up hunting tanks by myself all the time since even on good squads, it's hard to get people to support you as A/T, they just demand the tank be gone and leave it to you most of the time. I have tons of clips where I walk for ten minutes and flank tanks and get the kill more often than not. It's why A/T can be such a hard class, people demand tanks be destroyed, but offer very little support.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think artillery is a bad mechanic anyway, I hope they change it to something like mortars which have to be setup forward from base and defended. Having someone in spawn who presses a button the whole game and kills a couple hundred people is not exactly what I would call a good game mechanic.

I think artillery and suppression from automatic weapons (non-MGs) are my biggest complaints aside from performance.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Pharnakes posted:

Suppression is good and cool and I love how punishing it is, very few games really make you keep your head down when being shot at like this one does. Artillery as implemented is stupid though, it should just be an off map call in for the commander just like the other things are, which would also remove the problem with people using up all the munitions so the commander can't do anything.
The issue with suppression is that guns like the MP-40 and Thompson can suppress you out to 100m which I think is ridiculous and too much. The suppression on those two guns in particular is as bad as MGs while something like the STG doesn't have anywhere close to that type of suppression which to me is baffling. Suppression is a good mechanic, but with everyone using automatics on some maps, it can just be frustrating to face players with a rifle. Maybe just give those two guns the same type of suppression as the grease gun and STG and let the MGs have the super suppression.

Edit: Also if anyone cares, I uploaded a long clip of me going solo to get a Tiger since no one would help me. I kill like 6 guys on the way and get in to the point with no one else on my team near me. At about 2:45 I walk by another tank I did the same thing with, so the team in this case let me do this exact move 4 times and we ended up capping and I had like a 700 offense score by the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqsPWd71W6k

Rusty fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 12, 2021

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Mauser posted:

I always manage to have zero problems dodging and flanking tanks as infantry, but never see the AT guys in my squad doing anything. I was finally able to snag AT as Russians and got about 10m behind a panther and dumped two full clips of the AT rifle, alongside another AT guy doing the same, right up its rear end and actually killed it.
I wonder what AT guys think their job is sometimes because this is also my experience. Why even take AT as a class if you aren't out hunting tanks and it happens every game. I feel like one or two AT are responsible for most tank kills in each game.

As far as rockets, you get two as the German AT and they are more powerful than the American one, guaranteeing a two hit kill from the back. The American AT is also a two hit kill, but if it is anything but a perfect hit, you will need 3, the German one allows for a bit of offset hitting. The Tiger tank as you can see in my clip can be killed with two rockets, but you have to hit the engine both times.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Beyond the Wire is the WW1 game and no one ever played even though it is pretty good.

The ammo count is munitions, the same ammo used for bombing and strafing runs.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 13, 2021

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think beyond the wire was fun for what it was, but yeah, it was no hell let loose, the maps were small and it was just like a shooting gallery where it was death to try and move forward out of cover. But I like it, the gun sounds and feel were great.

I got this today, probably the hardest class I had ranking up. Assault was a grind since you don't get any extra points like you do for killing tanks, but AT is hard just because there is always so much pressure to kill active tanks.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I missed that last guy in the trench by like a hair, I paused the video because I couldn't understand how I missed him, but I did, barely. Would have been neat to get the tank and a garrison.

The most jarring thing about that clip is me being over 200m from the nearest teammate and my whole squad across the river and no one communicating at all. After we took the scar though our squad started talking and working together. Also the lesson for tankers is stick with some infantry, like these tanks will just sit on a hill with no one around them and you can't let them get away with it.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 13, 2021

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The squad lead can set certain icons to let players know what he expects, in that case he wants people with a mic who want to play defense.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Congrats on the tank kills, it's the best class, my heart rate always elevates when I am behind a tank and especially between the first and second hit.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
You know what can be fun? taking out the recon tank that sits in spawn a lot of times and no one takes out. It costs no resources and no one will care if you take it out solo. Also, it is an automatic so no shifting. You die in one rocket from most areas since there is no armor, but it's pretty low stakes and gives you some tank experience. You can also carry two infantry with you. It has an MG, a main gun, and also a cool camera that lets you take photos of the battlefield every 2 minutes and you transmit that to SLs, just like a recon plane.

Sometimes if I see it sitting there I take it out and find a good overlook to take photos, you just have to make sure to not stand still for very long or you're going to die, in this case, it doesn't matter if you hang out with infantry, you are super fast and super fragile, so just go out and do as much as you can before a rocket blows you up.

One more edit. It does a lot to get you to learn the maps, where you can and can't drive, etc.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 14, 2021

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I want to do spotter more as it's kind of neat to have a small crew take out garrisons and be able to put OPs anywhere, but most matches people demand (with good reason) you sit in enemy spawn and take out artillery which would not be as fun as just playing infantry.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Cimber posted:

And on more than a few maps if the front line has not moved far enough you simply can't get into the back line without getting the 'turn back' timer. So you are stuck with your thumb up your butt until your team can capture the point.
You can definitely get to the enemy spawn in warfare and spotters can place OPs in any area of the map unlike SLs which are limited to two red squares behind lines.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Cimber posted:

Oh really? I've only tried to get to the enemy arty as something not a spotter. I'll have to give that a go.
You can go there as normal infantry, but it is locked territory for OPs. I think when you got that turn back message you were playing offensive mode.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Blue On Blue posted:

the ptrd (ptrs?) anti tank rifle is so much fun.... first it gibs infantry which my squad found hilarious because they could ping infantry, and a few seconds later watch them disappear in a cloud of red mist

also it does work against tanks (managed to kill a few of the recon vehicles which are fun to pop, and 2 light tanks by just banging on the tracks over and over)
I feel like the ptrs earlier is completely ineffective against medium and heavy tanks to the point where I don't even play AT as Russian, I let someone else have that slot and use a satchel as engineer or assault if I wan to kill a tank. It takes 18 shots to the engine to kill a Tiger and 16 for a Panther and does zero damage to any other part of the tank. It's effective against recon tanks because they have no armor but still takes like 6 shots. It can be fun to harass infantry, but I find the Mosin better suited for that task anyway. Some people clearly like it though, so I'm glad people take that role.

Also, I would join any steam group if people want to group up. I would like to do more tanking, but I am hesitant to join public tank crews most of the time. The only time I tank is when I have played with a squad and they ask if we want to form up a tank crew and then it's all newbies learning how to tank. One thing I think helps drivers is for the spotter to be the tank commander and give move markers around any areas where you could get stuck. Places like Purple Heart Lane and even Kursk with it's trench lines can be a nightmare to maneuver with no help.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Sometimes I create locked squads for people I played with in the previous game and let people in if they request it since I forget to unlock it. I think a lot of people do that, as more often than not they let me in if I request it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It would be nice if they gave the spotter a satchel instead of mines, you could have some real fun there.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think each update brings some pretty good quality of life things and they have been working on each map and fixing places you can get stuck, or things like bullet penetration on some fences etc. It has a long way to go still, but right now, I think it is the best large FPS out there. One thing update 10 brought that is kind of ridiculous is that there is little reason to use anything but a heavy tank now since resources are so abundant and the medium tanks can't penetrate the front of heavy tanks except in very limited areas with lucky shots. Therefore why take out a panther if you have resources for a Tiger? I hope they are thinking this through because it is pretty ridiculous to have 3 tigers and 3 76s in the match at one time so if you take out a medium tank you have no chance. Having said that, they can still be fun early on, but you have to be really good at poisoning if you want to use it middle or late match.

Tanks are really fun though and a nice change of pace from spawn and die, when some lives can last 30 minutes.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It used to be the same, but update 10 slowed down crouch run to I think 10% less.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
They could remove artillery and use a better system where you have to set it up somewhere on the map, but you will still get camped when they find you. I mean, if you're using artillery, you need to expect people to come back there. If you find their outpost, you have a while to shoot again before they come back and you have a huge advantage with short HQ spawn times if you die.

I find the whole mechanic boring so I avoid it artillery, but sometimes I take a recon vehicle back there to harass the artillery people.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
^^ I think what he is saying is having to use a recon unit to camp spawn is not great gameplay, which i tend to agree with.

Pharnakes posted:

I mean what do you want people to do, just let you pound the objectives with no retaliation?
Seriously, anyone who stops arty is a hero in my book, it may be frustrating to get camped, but the people you are pounding can't walk five feet without being blown up by an enemy they can't retaliate against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I don't know, I drive them all over the place, I think Purple Heart Lane is the only one I can never remember which ditches are safe or not. The rest you can get to pretty much every area of the map with a supply truck, the main threat is being blown up by a tank. When you see all those red zone garrisons, a lot of time it's people like me driving a supply truck out there over and over again.