Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The first episode/movie wasn't remastered for some reason, but the rest of the episodes are. It's a simple upscale and cleanup. They didn't re-render the CGI with new textures or anything crazy. Despite the low budget this was an incredible show and it's great to have some visual enhancement. I never realized G'Kar's outfit was so intricate and iridescent.

Rest in Peace Mira Furlan(the actress who played Delenn). She died on January 20th.
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1352465912255770624?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Sorry guys, I'm just a donut.

I keep trying to like B5, but it just isn't DS9.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I keep trying to like B5, but it just isn't DS9.

Thank god for that

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Icochet posted:

Thank god for that

Charles
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom

Toilet Rascal

Watching Sleeping in Light now

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

THIS NEW AV WILL LET ME POST LIZARD TITS TWICE AS EFFICIENTLY!

IT'S GIVING ME A FUCKING BONER RIGHT NOW!

Never seen it OP. But it comes up semi-regularly in the Star Trek thread. From what I gather of comments there, it is simultaneously the best and worst sci-fi show ever made.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Sorry guys, I'm just a donut.

Meme Poker Party posted:

Never seen it OP. But it comes up semi-regularly in the Star Trek thread. From what I gather of comments there, it is simultaneously the best and worst sci-fi show ever made.

There's a zima sign in the station's bar and we're expected to take the show seriously.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Delenn

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Meme Poker Party posted:

It's a flawed gem. There is much to admire and much to cringe at. It's about a decade ahead of its time, with some unfortunate consequences. It is constantly and continually politically relevant and insightful. It is not the worst sci-fi show ever made, that is Space Island One. It's not the best, either, that's, uh, Lexx, probably, but it might be one of the most important shows, full stop, and absolutely worth your time.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i will not watch it but then again I have taste

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)

Pillbug

Supposedly this new remaster version is also available for purchase on Amazon video. Possibly on Vudu as well, but not sure about that, because Vudu already had some kind of quasi-remaster version.

I'm hoping Vudu has/gets this new version, because I often have trouble with audio sync when playing Amazon videos on my Roku.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009

THE NEERA TANDEN (PSYCHO) OF THE FORUMS FOR NEOLIBERALISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

P.S. JOE BIDEN DID NOTHING WRONG! https://joebiden.info/

Nap Ghost

My favorite show

Charles
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom

Toilet Rascal

Number_6 posted:

Supposedly this new remaster version is also available for purchase on Amazon video. Possibly on Vudu as well, but not sure about that, because Vudu already had some kind of quasi-remaster version.

I'm hoping Vudu has/gets this new version, because I often have trouble with audio sync when playing Amazon videos on my Roku.

Yeah I bought Sleeping in Light on Amazon. I hope they come out with a physical release though.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

twenty-six characters long

Like Dr. Who and anime, I will probably never get into this show despite the nice things people say about it.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

It's incredibly sad how many of the cast members died before their time.
Mira Furlan/Delenn at 65
Michael O'Hare/Commander Sinclair at 60
Steven Bigs/Dr. Franklin at 44
Jerry Doyle/Garibadli at 60
Stephen Furst/Vir at 63
Andreas Katsulas/G'Kar at 59
Jeff Conaway/Zack at 60
Tim Choate/Zathras at 49

It's sobering to watch a show only 20 years old and realize "everyone in this particular scene has passed away".

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 6, 2010

Choate seems like an unfortunate name

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Mira Furlan/Delenn at 65
Stephen Furst/Vir at 63
Jeff Conaway/Zack at 60
Tim Choate/Zathras at 49

It's sobering to watch a show only 20 years old and realize "everyone in this particular scene has passed away".

Boxshatner or whatshisname sucked their life energy and will live to be 300 when he will simply.. stop

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

This is great news. Looking forward to seeing it.

Meme Poker Party posted:

The first season will be familiar to anyone who likes Star Trek, in that it's the "finding our feet in terms of writing and characters" season. There's some absolutely awful "first two seasons of TNG/DS9" vibe to a lot of that one. You can cut several of the episodes altogether, but there's some important stuff buried amongst some of the weaker bits so you can't just skip to the good stuff because unlike Star Trek it's a show that really relies on continuity.

Last episode of season 1 things finally get going and from there you'd only want to cut 3 or 4 episodes for the next three seasons. Some really amazing stuff, and some real character growth and arcs. You get to watch something like the angry bitter terrorist grow into a political and spiritual leader, and a washed up old diplomat get the conservative dream of the return to glory with him at the centre, at a horrible cost, all the decisions building on one another. I always contrast this with something like Star Trek, where O'Brien spends an entire lifetime in mental prison and it's only ever mentioned again in the next episode where he's feeling a bit under the weather.

Season 5 is weaker as a result of the worry that they might get cancelled rushing things, but it still has some great stuff intermixed with awfulness (and is nowhere near as bad as 1).

Basically the good rep the show has is the result of seasons 2-4, and the bad rep the result of season 1 plus the extremely dated graphics (made worse by a technical saga that got an interesting article on its own: https://www.engadget.com/2018-06-22-babylon-5-digital-video-quality.html). Hopefully this remaster solves a lot of the CG issues.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

chaosbreather posted:

It's a flawed gem. There is much to admire and much to cringe at. It's about a decade ahead of its time, with some unfortunate consequences. It is constantly and continually politically relevant and insightful. It is not the worst sci-fi show ever made, that is Space Island One. It's not the best, either, that's, uh, Lexx, probably, but it might be one of the most important shows, full stop, and absolutely worth your time.

I thought I was the only other person that remembered Space Island One, what a crap show

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

B5 loving owns and it's better than DS9

Also lol that it was deliberately written from the beginning in such a fashion that every principal character had a Plan B just in case actors had to drop out, good thing Straczynski thought ahead there huh

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

It is not the worst sci-fi show ever made, that is Space Island One.
Nah it's that crap UK show that tried to be Basically Coronation Street But In Space For Some Reason

I just spent like five minutes trying to hunt it down bc I couldn't remember what it was called and it ran for six loving years???? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter_Moon

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

Zathras smell he own fart, a shameful Zathras

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Pretty good posted:

B5 loving owns and it's better than DS9

lets get one thing straight here, chipmunk. B5 is not better than DS9. B5 is a very good high school musical someone got on tape about don't do drugs and fascists are bad sometimes. DS9 is a documentary of things that happened in the future.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I grew up watching both shows and I think they're both great. Even back in the 90s you could tell they were both quality compared to the next best thing which was probably fuckin' SeaQuest at the time

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SeaQuest had a talking dolphin. Why didn't the other shows have a talking mascot.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

I rewatched it last year so might leave it til next year before my next rewatch. I think I'm due for Lexx next

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

^^^^
Sounds good

In the show Sheridan died before her, vice versa in real life.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Mira Furlan/Delenn at 65
Stephen Furst/Vir at 63
Jeff Conaway/Zack at 60
Tim Choate/Zathras at 49

Man Jerry Doyles political opinions where something of a let down. Also he was married to Talia Winters in real life.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

chaosbreather posted:

It's not the best, either, that's, uh, Lexx, probably

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Babylon 5 is two seasons of fantastic television crammed into a five season series

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Nigmaetcetera posted:

There's a zima sign in the station's bar and we're expected to take the show seriously.

I love that a joke by the prop guy continues to have life like this.

The show is worth the time if you like scifi.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Feb 17, 2011

meat

Thanks for the heads up. I will not be watching.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The final season was kind of extraneous tbh. Also the movies and spinoffs sucked pretty bad

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpb1OXvNNMc

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Pretty good posted:

Also the movies and spinoffs sucked pretty bad

I will never forget the kung-fu lasers.

Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Pretty good posted:

The final season was kind of extraneous tbh. Also the movies and spinoffs sucked pretty bad

I watched the show when it aired and there's an episode near the end of the next to last season that felt like a finale, so assumed it was over and just stopped watching for airings. About a year ago I bought the box sets and was shocked and excited to find out there was a a season plus that I'd missed. Turns out it was loving terrible, and I wish I never learned about my mistake.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Quit shakin' me, kid!

Frankenstyle posted:

I watched the show when it aired and there's an episode near the end of the next to last season that felt like a finale, so assumed it was over and just stopped watching for airings. About a year ago I bought the box sets and was shocked and excited to find out there was a a season plus that I'd missed. Turns out it was loving terrible, and I wish I never learned about my mistake.

I think it was a finale IIRC. Season 5 aired on a different network (TNT) where all the crappy spinoff movies also aired.

Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Xotl posted:

I will never forget the kung-fu lasers.

No one could.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

MrQueasy posted:

I think it was a finale IIRC. Season 5 aired on a different network (TNT) where all the crappy spinoff movies also aired.

Yeah, they thought they were going to be cancelled so they made a series finale for season 4, but open-ended enough that it could serve as just another episode if they were renewed. Then they were, and so season 5 happened and was capped with a proper unambiguous finale (which is pretty touching).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BUT SATAN'S BOY
I COULD NEVER BE!

Pork Pro

Only registered members can see post attachments!