Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

The Timeless Child is THE DOCTOR? Oh, for God's sake!

I think this album deserves its own thread to talk about - after all, Foo Fighters are probably the last great American Rock 'n' Roll band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1G6-RUz3OA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gnvQWwwoTg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJd82T1_o1A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I'm here for it. I dig the new songs so far, it's hard to figure out where the album's gonna rank ultimately. I have a feeling it's gonna turn out "just okay" but it still sounds more interesting than if they had just kept doing identical arena rock over and over. They are at least making an effort to keep it fresh, and it all sounds good. I'm a proponent of not waiting forever in hopes of unleashing your masterpiece and just recording whatever you've got.

I'm still a big fan of Concrete and Gold. The back half loses steam a bit, but at the very least it's got the best initial run of songs since their '90s albums. I remember not being so thrilled with "Run" when it first came out, but now the "T-Shirt / Run" sequence has become one of my all-time favorite album intros.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 1, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Edward Mass posted:

after all, Foo Fighters are probably the last great American Rock 'n' Roll band.

Styx is still touring OP

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Without me, there is no mission.
I am the mission!

Just found this topic. I made threads in the last two albums, but didn't thus time as Concrete and Gold was very disappointing. It's still my least favorite album of theirs.

This album comes out the day before my birthday, so hopefully it's good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

My initial listen is quite a big 'meh'. Love Dies Young is a nice closer though.

e: Also I know it shouldn't really matter but 36 minutes? Seriously?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

So far I think my impression based on the singles was pretty much correct. It's a fun little romp but will probably not be considered a classic. Time will tell though. It's a little less "weird" than the last one, but that's not really a bad thing for a band like this. Still has some unexpected stuff. Certainly isn't just boilerplate Foo Fighters.

I don't really like how the drums sound on "Cloudspotter" but I do like everything else about it. Title track is pretty cool, that has the "Let's Dance" inspiration they've been talking about, but more of a minor key thing. I definitely want to listen to "Holding Poison" again, there was definitely some cool stuff going on there that I didn't fully process.

My assessment of "Waiting On A War" continues to be: Dave Grohl probably wrote this in his sleep, but that doesn't make it not a good song.

I agree that it's surprisingly short. I figured at least one of the 9 tracks would push past the 5 minute mark.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

The Timeless Child is THE DOCTOR? Oh, for God's sake!

Holding Poison sounds like the track Grohl said he had a riff for 25 years for - the song could easily fit on s/t.