Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

the whole thing is basically a rorshach test and it doesn't have good vidya game balance b/c it wasn't written by pro gamers

that said i always thought the intent of the scene was to establish that kirk's a sore loser (and possibly not somebody you really want in command?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Well if you can retake the test of character, lol already.

demanding to retake a pass/fail test that you already apparently passed is extremely nerd poo poo

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Bogus Adventure posted:

Kirk still is a turbo nerd, even in the prime and JJ universes. It's just that he also successfully functions in social situations, which is a completely foreign concept to most Star Trek nerds.

I actually rather like that the captains tend to have a past that that they've synthesized/inverted. Kirk was a huge nerd, but as a captain he's confident about going with his gut. Picard was a huge jock but as a captain he's learned to appreciate taking things slow and technical and artsy. And Sisko started in engineering but on DS9 his main solution to problems is to support and push his subordinates, trusting them to find the best solution without his micromanagement.

I don't know anything about the other captains so no idea if it holds up.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

It's cool to have another form of confirmation that I didn't miss out much on the Star Treks I've skipped. Still wanna check out Lower Decks.

SlothfulCobra posted:

From my experience in college, archaeology is the jockiest of the sciences. It comes close with geology because geologists can afford to be a lot more cavalier and careless, but archaeologists follow a more heroic narrative having to hunt down relatively small ruins instead of doing larger surveys of land, which feels more sporty.

I knew more archaeologists in grad school and later than during college and my experience was that they're mostly just very prone to sex cults/general poly stuff. Something about carefully cataloguing each thimble of dirt you move from a 600 year old kitchen for weeks without a real shower causes some lowered sense of boundaries.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

is Starfleet Academy actually good at training?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That's actually a weirdly compressed image from a print comic, and that's not the usual artist on the book.

It is written by John Allison tho, who started in webcomics.

EDIT: found better images

He still makes webcomics sometimes but yeah that one's print/comixology. Daisy's an incredible character, Giant Days are some of the few comics I don't regret buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm starting to think the real reason for these tests is to weed out the edgelords.

I came into this thread thinking "The KM is not super important but probably has uses for seeing how commanders react to getting hosed" and am going to leave this thread thinking "the KM is the most important part of starfleet training."