Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
A real-world example might be interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6fSUaZlsWw

The Space Shuttle astronauts trained repeatedly for a variety of possible scenarios. The Shuttle design unfortunately was such that certain failures at certain points were irrecoverable and would at minimum lead to loss of vehicle (if not the astronauts as well). One such scenario would be too many main engines failing too early. The video above shows one such scenario: the Shuttle is ultimately doomed by the consecutive failure of all three main engines and cannot get to a runway. It ends with the crew hopefully managing to bail out while the orbiter is still in the air. (Ditching the Shuttle was extremely unlikely to work; the stall speed is just too high and there's no way you're surviving a 200mph ditch into the water.)

So in this example, the simulation supervisor (Sim Sup) is likely watching and evaluating the crew's responses to make sure they're going through their checklists and doing everything they can to save the ship, and later themselves. There's nothing they could do to 'win' the scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
even though they treat it as "oh no going into the Zone is an ~act of waaaar~" the feds do get away with violating it too without actually kicking off a war. fuckin' picard charged in because his buddy found a secret ancient alien site and decided the romulans simply couldn't be allowed to have it.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 30, 2021

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Aglet56 posted:

except, why would any cadet think that this is a particularly unusual exercise? if you only ran through the scenario once (and it's mentioned that kirk is unusual for having tried the kobayashi maru multiple times, so presumably most cadets only do it once), you'd think of the scenario as one where you either retreated without the crew or blew up your ship. wouldn't this happen all the time in training scenarios? is the expectation that you'll get a flawless S-rank on every simulation on your first try, and the kobayashi maru is the sole exception? i'd expect that you'd be getting your ship blown up all the time in training scenarios, and afterwards you wouldn't think that the scenario was "no-win," you'd just review your mistakes or whatever.

also i think part of the idea is that the kobayashi maru is blatantly unfair. the klingons just instantly get the drop on you out of nowhere without warning. they crash in with three heavy cruisers. they don't answer hails. the fuckin' doofus helmsman can't get you to warp fast enough. the first shot punches right through your shields and immediately fucks you up. your phasers get broken immediately.

it's not like "oh, poo poo, i should have raised shields sooner" or "i didn't tell the science officer to alternate the phase variance on the dyno scanners" or "i forgot that tractor beams don't work against melconian bulk carriers because they use caninium in their hulls", it's just "gently caress you, none of your choices affected the outcome, gg"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Who What Now posted:

I don't understand how "Leave them, one ship isn't worth a war or even worth unnecessarily putting your cre in danger" isn't Star Fleet's protocol.

i think that goes back to how Starfleet draws heavily on naval analogues and traditions, and one of the big things about the sea is that sailors don't leave people stranded if they can help it

like, even in B5, the Earth Alliance Earthforce has a general order saying "if someone puts out a distress call and we're not at war with them, you fuckin' help them"

also, while "it could start a war" is definitely supposed to be part of the dilemma, "it could put the ship and crew at risk" wouldn't be; it may not be "the primary mission" or whatever but rendering aid to people in trouble is absolutely core to Starfleet's purpose. recall when Kirk burned out the engines in saving Harry Mudd and the space hookers

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's worth noting that Kirk is a bit of a power fantasy to begin with

that's most space opera captains tbh

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Barudak posted:

The implication is it is constantly updated and tweaked, but there are also huge gaps of time between shows.

I don't think the Kobayashi Maru itself is ever specifically mentioned after Star Trek 6, and never in the TV shows. The book writers had a field day with it, but those can be fairly contradictory since the standard there for a long time was basically "do whatever as long as you don't damage the brand."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
IMO it's okay to have the bridge start to blow up if the ship's really getting the poo poo kicked out of it. It can be an exciting visual shorthand for expressing the danger the ship is in. My big thing would be that, especially with modern budgets, those should be accompanied by scenes like the torpedo bay exploding into a fiery hell in The Wrath of Khan.

TNG was usually pretty good about it, it was DS9 where they started going overboard with it by apparently having the Defiant's shields channel energy into O'Brien's shoulder.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kirk posted:

in the Star Trek anthology story collection the trouble with the o’tribbles it is implied that the guy manning the holodeck controls for the kobayahsi Maru at starfleet academy sneaks off early on a Friday and accidentally leaves a young cadet O’Brien getting batleths installed in his rear end in a top hat for an entire long weekend

you have no idea what a balm it is to see kirkposting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Klingon Academy could be buggy and unstable even when it was running on the hardware it was intended for; I'm impressed you've got it running at all on a new multi-core system that might well have more RAM than I had hard drive space back then.

But, yes, I loved playing KA too; it had a great feel to it. Very satisfying to see a torpedo hit blast out a chunk of the enemy's hull.