Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Seems like a real lovely treaty if you can’t notify the other signatory that “hey, we need to enter the neutral zone for a rescue, don’t blow us up”

I'm guessing someone tried to do that in one of their runs and it crashed the simulation, like how one of the apocryphal tellings of how Nog beat the Maru test was he that he thought like a Ferengi and just bribed the Klingons into going away and the program crashed because lol federation post-money economics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bogus Adventure posted:

Kirk still is a turbo nerd, even in the prime and JJ universes. It's just that he also successfully functions in social situations, which is a completely foreign concept to most Star Trek nerds.

Also the key line that a lot of people miss in Star Trek '09 is that Kirk had already taken the Kobayashi Maru test twice already, so the version seen in the film is not his first run through it. The whole reason he's unbearably smug about the whole thing is that he had already had his poo poo pushed in by the test twice legitimately, so him gloating as he goes back and cracks it over his knee through cheating is 100% warranted. Because that's basically how anyone would act upon walking into a test you'd already failed twice and this time knowing that it was literally impossible to lose because you already did the work to beat it before it even began.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 2, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tulip posted:

I actually rather like that the captains tend to have a past that that they've synthesized/inverted. Kirk was a huge nerd, but as a captain he's confident about going with his gut. Picard was a huge jock but as a captain he's learned to appreciate taking things slow and technical and artsy. And Sisko started in engineering but on DS9 his main solution to problems is to support and push his subordinates, trusting them to find the best solution without his micromanagement.

I don't know anything about the other captains so no idea if it holds up.

Archer was an entitled frat boy product of nepotism growing and captained the NX-01 like an entitled frat boy product of nepotism.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tulip posted:

It's cool to have another form of confirmation that I didn't miss out much on the Star Treks I've skipped. Still wanna check out Lower Decks.

The caveat I use is that Lower Decks starts out kinda rough because it's got a lot of establish and a short time to do it given its format and premise, but it quickly finds its footing and absolutely nails it both as a Star Trek series and as a comedy series by the time it's done its first season. Definitely watch it when you can, it's great.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Kirk trying to quell a rebellion on a Federation planet that in a surprise twist is being led by his son David, who is being manipulated by a mysterious figure in a hooded cloak with psychic powers who turns out to be Khan,

Well, it was a good premise up to this point anyway...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kirk posted:

in the Star Trek anthology story collection the trouble with the o’tribbles it is implied that the guy manning the holodeck controls for the kobayahsi Maru at starfleet academy sneaks off early on a Friday and accidentally leaves a young cadet O’Brien getting batleths installed in his rear end in a top hat for an entire long weekend

MilesO_Brien.txt

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Spinz posted:

This thread seems as good as any to stick something I drew tonight :)

And now we know what the Kobayashi Maru was trying to transport across the Neutral Zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Enter the Neutral Zone. Find the Kobayashi Maru. Ram it at maximum warp and just Holdo the Klingon Battlecruisers out of existence with the superliminal debris shower.

Where’s my commendation, Starfleet?