Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I could swear I read the book where this happens, and that it was written by Shatner, but I can't seem to find it.

Main antagonists of the overall story were borg?

Lmao, was this "The Return?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

indeed. they took a sick all black Defiant to the borg homeworld, and shut them all off at the source

Lmao, I will always find Shatner's massive ego funny.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Verviticus posted:

its weird because its usually established that the klingons dont respond to hails

No one ever offered them gold pressed latinum and free oo-mox before

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

Kirk was originally written as being a turbo nerd in academy.

Kirk still is a turbo nerd, even in the prime and JJ universes. It's just that he also successfully functions in social situations, which is a completely foreign concept to most Star Trek nerds.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Also the key line that a lot of people miss in Star Trek '09 is that Kirk had already taken the Kobayashi Maru test twice already, so the version seen in the film is not his first run through it. The whole reason he's unbearably smug about the whole thing is that he had already had his poo poo pushed in by the test twice legitimately, so him gloating as he goes back and cracks it over his knee through cheating is 100% warranted. Because that's basically how anyone would act upon walking into a test you'd already failed twice and this time knowing that it was literally impossible to lose because you already did the work to beat it before it even began.

Which is why Chris Pine as Kirk is the one thing I truly love about the reboot. The other actors range from good to meh, but Pine loving CHANNELED Kirk at every moment.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

Wesly's initiation tests were pretty in-line with that. There were weird tricks like the guy who hated politeness, and then there was the thing specifically tailored for him where he couldn't save both men and had to deal with letting one die because Picard did that to his dad.

Starfleet is organized specifically to maximize drama.

That episode owned, especially when the coward just stands up, dusts himself off, and leaves Wesley standing there. drat I love how loving wacky TNG Season 1 was. It still had that Big Goofy '60s energy.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Bootcha posted:

"Your next series of tests is to receive and perform testing from Grand Admiral Janeway."

That reminds me about the Secret Logs of Mistress Janeway...

quote:

Commanding Voyager was Kathryn Janeway, an experienced and respected officer with a background in the sciences. She was also a devout hedonist, and unknown to most, leading a double life as the principal dominatrix at The Club, a very exclusive resort. The boorish reader may see only a woman obsessed with her own desires. Given the situation, this judgement is unfair. It is a testament to Janeway's self control and dedication to duty that she waited as long as she did before she began the pursuit of slaves among her own crew. One should also note her absolute discretion and ability to separate her lives as Captain and Mistress. Although she had a fiance, Mark, at the time of her departure, theirs was an open relationship.

Would you like to know more?

https://www.squidge.org/novad/MJaneway/Stories/MJIntro.html

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Admiralty Flag posted:

Kobiyashi Maru is an unfair test for cadets for one reason -- at the academy, they don't teach you how to rewire the main deflector dish to emit an inverse graviton pulse, and an inverse graviton pulse can do any sort of bullshit you like, up to and including knocking a pack of Klingon ships out of action. Nope, you've got to learn that on your first cruise.

Also, do senior officers have nothing better to do than to act in Saavik's KM scenario?

Spock pulled some strings for his protege.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Tulip posted:

is Starfleet Academy actually good at training?

Given that a non-military force is the dominant power in the Alpha Quadrant?

YES.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

u brexit ukip it posted:

I mean you can't eat whales if they're extinct so of course you want to steal some from the past.

I am Nwabudike Morgan and I approve this message

Head on down to the Restaurant Enterprise for their grayfish special!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpPgavT5am4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Foxfire_ posted:

Isn't it knowing phaser frequency=>free block, knowing shield frequency=>skip shield? That seems to make reasonable sci-fi sense. If you know what exactly their shooting you can block it easily, and if you know how exactly their blocking you can bypass it.

That was my understanding, but I'm not up to anything past Voyager tbqh.

Did Enterprise, Discovery, or Picard change this?