Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Star Trek II was the last of the original crew movies that I watched, and the opening Kobayashi Maru sequence was the most surreal movie-viewing experience I ever had.

I honest to god thought I must have been dreaming or something, because it felt like it was making these connections based on what I already knew and had seen about Star Trek in these sort of dream-logic ways. "This uses the same music from Star Trek III? That can't be right, only the music from Star Trek I ever got re-used. That Vulcan lady played by Kirstie Alley is Saavik? They never recast in Star Trek, and why is she commanding the Enterprise? There are klingons in Star Trek II? What does this have to do with Khan again? Um, those Klingon ships on the view screen are CLEARLY the same shot from Star Trek I. Where's Kirk, anyway? This sure seems like a dramatic battle for the beginning of the movie, they're already abandoning ship. And now the viewscreen is sliding open and there's Kirk, I believe I have been grossly misinformed about this movie....."

It wasn't until they made clear that it was a simulation that I finally accepted that I wasn't hallucinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Aglet56 posted:

It's also unclear if there's any kind of grades or ratings that the cadets are getting. Every example of a Kobayashi Maru solution that we see doesn't seem to have affected the cadet's career at all. What are you learning if the only feedback you ever get is "okay cool?"

I don't get the impression there's any way to fail the Kobayashi Mark test unless you just totally crack under pressure or quit in the middle of it or something. It's there to ensure every cadet faces abject failure at least once during training.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Wait a sec, is Saavik the op? Saavik is that you?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

The longer you wait you learn that the Kobayashi Maru has dozens of children on board and you hear their screams over the the speakers and members of your crew will threaten to mutiny if you don't try to rescue them. i just made that up but like Spock is fond of saying there are always (*Shatner pause*) possibilities.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Sore loser, probably. But the movie's case is definitely that command is where Kirk belongs. The Kobayashi Maru in the movie is more of a personal thing about how Kirk has avoided facing mortality and can't fully appreciate life as a result.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

indigi posted:

imo the real problem with the Kobayashi Maru is that the computers and poo poo all catch on fire and the crew has to play act being hurt or dead or whatever. like what is that, what does that bring to the training. why is Mr Logical Spock pretending to be dead.

It's so Kirk can go, "Aren't you dead?" and Spock does his raised eyebrow thing and the audience laughs and stops thinking so much about the whole "they better loving not kill Spock" thing.

I know thinking too hard about plot devices is all part of the fun but it could stand to be reiterated that the Kobayashi Maru is the way it is primarily so they could use stock footage, fulfill what was surely a studio mandated focus on space combat*, and to disarm "Spock dies" rumors.

(*The elephant in the room that no one on the production ever mentions out loud is that they were clearly under pressure to make something "more like Star Wars," and it only becomes more obvious the more you learn about it: early scripts involved Kirk trying to quell a rebellion on a Federation planet that in a surprise twist is being led by his son David, who is being manipulated by a mysterious figure in a hooded cloak with psychic powers who turns out to be Khan, who has also gotten his hands on a new weapon powerful enough to destroy a planet, and this all leads to a climax featuring Kirk and Khan engaging in a sword duel! Edit: Oh, and at the end Kirk even hears Spock's voice speaking to him from beyond the grave... I know no on wants to admit "yeah, we were totally selling out" but come on, son)

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Cerv posted:

we really dodged a bullet with that poo poo. and instead we got the pinnacle of sci-fi movies

In fairness, pretty much every early draft I've been exposed to for any film was really lame. I suppose Aliens was pretty close to the finished product from the beginning but that's about it. Writing really is a process where you just take a big dump on the page at first and then continually chisel the poo poo away until hopefully it becomes good.