Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Thank you for the transparency. It's almost weird having this level of visibility into this community I've been a part of for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Zophar posted:

I have no problem whatsoever contributing to a Patreon. The $10 to join I gave up literally 15 years ago has paid for itself countless fold at this point.
These were my thoughts as well when I decided, in the dark before-times, to sign up for that Patreon. It's very encouraging to see that revenue so far is more than sufficient to keep the place afloat in its current state, but I'd happily put some monthly cash into a Patreon in Jeffrey's name both as a sign of appreciation and support, and to promote further development of my all-time favourite dead forums.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's variable and there is a fixed and percentage-based portion for each transaction. I believe in October, in that initial burst of purchases, we had a bunch of large lump sum donors, saving money on those fixed portions. In addition, the credit card companies charge varying amounts for various cards and generally, the fancier the card is, the higher a fee we pay. It's very opaque even for me - I get some manner of breakdown of names of various fees, but they aren't exactly illuminating. November and December have the normal flow of mostly $5 and $10 purchases and thus have a higher percentage going to fees.

Do you think allowing people to bulk-purchase redtext certificates would mitigate that?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Erulisse posted:

This.
I want erulisse@somethingawful.com

Jeoffrey pls pls pls pls

Seconding this.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

el blanco suave posted:

This would not be the stupidest thing I pay monthly for

This wouldn't even be in my top 10.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

alnilam posted:

Here's a question Jeffrey, and you may not know the answer yet. I assume that SA LLC is its own entity and has its own bank account, and I imagine you're going to let it build up some cash buffer, but... Do you ever plan to pay yourself income from SA LLC? I think it would be reasonable if you did, I mean you fronted the money to buy it after all and you are doing work to run the place. I appreciate the transparency and hope it continues and I think if you are going to pay a dev for their work (good idea) you would have every reason to pay yourself too.

A big problem with the previous ownership was, as others have said, bursting in here twice a year to say the forums are dying we need money, which I think most of us now know was never really true. His lying about this and lack of transparency is a big part of why people begrudged him of buying fancy cookies and stuff. But with the transparency you're giving, and running it like a non-profit, and putting the needs of SA first, I don't think it's inherently wrong to receive some income from the business you bought.

Seconding this.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

ColdPie posted:

If you want to integrate fancy features into a recurring payment, fine, but for me, it's just a way to keep the lights on. I don't need anything more in return than this place's continued existence and ideally funding improvements that benefit everyone. I already have a Patreon, so that's the least friction for me personally.

Please do not start hosting peoples' email.

I agree with this, all I want really is the site to stay online and maybe some common sense improvements. I think most would agree that we don't need wholesale change, or an entirely new forums 3.0 experience or anything. Maybe ensuring the Awful app can continue to exist would be good too. Outside of that I don't think contributors need to have a say in improvements or features added, or any return on their donation outside of the lights staying on.

And the email is another thing that strikes me as unnecessary. You don't want that technical burden, plus you then have people with those addresses who look like they are part of the site administration to the outside.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Lol this is a good point and no I have not thought about what I'd do with 100k/month. Maybe I'll buy a GTR and blow it up with SA-branded hand grenades. There is certainly room for more developers if astral and me both end up working full time - I don't know what the actual limit of my ability to manage and dispense money on behalf of the site is, but getting to 100k is pretty hard to imagine. Even in like 2005, I don't think the forums made more than 60k/month.
ya i more threw out 100k to give an absurd figure worth thinking about that the site would never really need

alnilam posted:

Here's a question Jeffrey, and you may not know the answer yet. I assume that SA LLC is its own entity and has its own bank account, and I imagine you're going to let it build up some cash buffer, but... Do you ever plan to pay yourself income from SA LLC? I think it would be reasonable if you did, I mean you fronted the money to buy it after all and you are doing work to run the place. I appreciate the transparency and hope it continues and I think if you are going to pay a dev for their work (good idea) you would have every reason to pay yourself too.

A big problem with the previous ownership was, as others have said, bursting in here twice a year to say the forums are dying we need money, which I think most of us now know was never really true. His lying about this and lack of transparency is a big part of why people begrudged him of buying fancy cookies and stuff. But with the transparency you're giving, and running it like a non-profit, and putting the needs of SA first, I don't think it's inherently wrong to receive some income from the business you bought.
in practice though i do mean a buffer for staffing costs inc. yourself and any future development work, i doubt a public plan would be mentioned until a reasonable cushion is made, but it's more something worth considering in the long-term plans. having a growing mound of liquidity would just encourage bad practices on the site's maintenance if history says anything but is a long time away

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Who What Now posted:

Any plans to work alongside the developer of the AwfulApp to make it officially endorsed by SA (of it hasn't been already)?
I have not done this - the plan right now is to work with them enough to not break them too bad, but treat the forums software itself as the highest priority instead of splitting dev resources between the app and the site. Improving the site helps everyone. I think there are ways in which we can move the site such that the app can seamlessly benefit and I think they are worth pursuing.

So I'll stop short of an official endorsement in that sense but....I use the android app. It's cool.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Increasing Avatar Size Limit

Be Amazed At Reinvigorated Revenue Stream.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

It's wild that we don't have a dev database instance and I plan on keeping one around.

Any plans to open source the code or parts of it to have the OSS community to contribute?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
How many cookie dollars is that? Im confused.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Baggot posted:

Thank you for the transparency. It's almost weird having this level of visibility into this community I've been a part of for so long.

poo poo it’s weird for the mod and admin team too. Having an active owner who cares about this place and works daily with the mod team to make it better is huge.

Thanks for all of this Jeff. Buying the forums, just all of it.

This financial report is fascinating too. So much for all that QQ about how the forums were going to shut down because we weren’t buying enough red texts to pay for hosting.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Increasing Avatar Size Limit

Be Amazed At Reinvigorated Revenue Stream.

Also the text limit, when I redtext someone with one of their own posts I’d like to be able to have it link back to the post without giving up too much of the actual text. You lose a lot of space just with the color/size/bold tags already.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

How many cookie dollars is that? Im confused.

At the current red text: goldbelly exchange rate it looks like December could have bought Jeff a dozen really fancy macaroons.

Instead he’s doing poo poo like “hiring coders” and “building his business” and “caring for his community”

:rolleyes:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Thanks jeffo you're a lot better than that other guy!!

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

You'd make a lot more money as a youtube celebrity

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jeffery, this is awesome and is exactly how the forums should be run. Much appreciated.

I have seen places use Donorbox in the past, might be worth considering over Patreon if we don't need the features Patreon offers. I think their fees are less. I don't think it requires a non-profit.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Thank you Jeffers for being so transparent! It's nice to see that this place isn't going to sink any time soon.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

A monthly contribution? But I need to buy candles!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

there's a front page??! haha BOOM!!! YCS!!!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

This is really nice. I'm thankful. I hope this forum does better. Oddly enough, some certain people in here have helped me get through hell, and become a better person.

A patreon isn't out of the question.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

ColdPie posted:

I would sub to a Patreon.

Yeah same or a direct subscription. I can't afford too much but like $5/month is very doable for me and worth it as an old who doesn't like change or things that comfort me going away.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I have a few questions JeffreyofYOSPOS:

• What do you mean by development costs? Do you hire other developers to develop the site?
  • Is the site gaining or losing in popularity?
  • Do you live off the site?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Thanks Jeff for the transparency, it's greatly appreciated! Just throwing it out there that if the site has need of professional QA, I'd happily volunteer my time and expertise to test new features or anything that's needed. No pay needed and I've got years of web testing experience at a Fortune 50 tech company and wanting to give back to the community :)

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

In terms of making more money I think it would be cool if you could make it so if you pay $10 you get :10bux: under your avatar and you can do it as many times as you want. It would help wealthier forum members stand out because at the moment they look just like poor forum members.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Great work Jeffrey, and thanks so much for saving SA. Stable, sensible, open, truthful management that posts more than once in a blue moon and really makes an :effort:... we didn't know what we were missing!

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

rope kid posted:

there's a front page??! haha BOOM!!! YCS!!!

Who gives a poo poo about the front page. Joke articles are dead. Comedic internet content today is naturally generated user quips in discussion or short video clips, memes, or tweets. The existence of the front page in its past form is archaic.

Putting all the energy and focus on the forums in the short term is the right thing to do.

Edit: poo poo just make the forums the whole website. Pay or take volunteer contributors to make effort threads, videos, photoshop challenges whatever.

Full Metal Jackass fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 27, 2021

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
hi jeff, in spite of the ridiculously high fees (8% from patreon+credit cards+processing to your own account), a patreon might be a good idea. however, right now i would advise against immediately opening one up on account of patreon is currently in the middle of trying to decide to some some extremely stupid billing poo poo that could really screw up literally anyone trying to make money on their website. thanks for the info.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

One of the things I remember being really worried about the last time Lowtax was complaining about all his medical issues was what the business continuity plan for the forums was, should Lowtax become too disabled to continue managing things, or if he died. Is there anything like that in place now?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

alnilam posted:

Just gonna be clear that I did not buy "Something Awful LLC", only its assets, and it is indeed owned by its own entity with its own bank account.

My plan here was to, once things are settled and coder(s) are hired, to consider paying myself, at the same rate I pay other developers, for hours of development work I actually do. Just owning the assets doesn't entitle me to a salary, imo, but I think it is reasonable to try to recoup my investment with work done on the site's behalf. Overall, I have not worried about this or figured this out, because my personal finances are fine and I am in no pressing need of income to live. I'd rather get things off the ground right than hurry up and pay myself.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I was conned into subbing to Lowtax's Patreon before, but I haven't learned my lesson and would absolutely sub to Jeffrey's.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Cyrano4747 posted:

At the current red text: goldbelly exchange rate it looks like December could have bought Jeff a dozen really fancy macaroons.

Instead he’s doing poo poo like “hiring coders” and “building his business” and “caring for his community”

:rolleyes:

What an rear end in a top hat, jeez. He should be getting those cookies!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Everything about this is amazing. Would absolutely chuck $5/mo towards a patreon.

Have you considered open-sourcing the site and opening it up for goons to contribute to? I've seen a lot of offers to help since the transition and I feel like your workload could be significantly lightened with a horde of goons to submit PRs. Could even make a private repo and limit the collaborators to accounts in good standing if you want to be moderately secretive about it. That way you can reap the benefits of the :goon: while keeping dev costs down.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would totally subscribe and pay like, 20 bucks a month to get two gift certs to change someone else’s avatar emailed to me because the forums store is clunky enough that it’s definitely stopped me from doing some redtexts because :effort:

Storing payment info/a PayPal button so I don’t have to hunt down my wallet to make store purchases would rule, but I’m not sure how much that would add to overhead.
Storing payment info is a :can: in that there are all sorts of Very Serious Security Requirements to taking credit card payments, and some of them are easily sidestepped by not storing any sort of payment information. This is not just me being paranoid, but would also represent new costs as there is separation required from the rest of the servers. Maybe making browser autocomplete work with our form would be a good step? Then you could save payment info in your browser and use it on the site more easily, without adding the burden of securely storing payment info to our backend.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

I am considering starting a patreon for this reason - recurring donations are difficult to implement in the store software we have, and it would be nice for planning purposes to be fairly certain we're gonna get at least $X/month. Please let me know what you think of this - my impression from the emails I've received is that a number of people are willing to contribute each month, and they currently don't have a way to do that.

Long term, I would like for a subscription model that essentially confers SA credits, so that we can both contribute funds in a more consistent and budgetable fashion while also getting the perks of forums purchases.

That said, I fully understand that this would be non-trivial to implement, so I'm not at all expecting or demanding it up-front; maybe just something in the nice-to-have column for down the road. :)

Thanks for the update, appreciate the details!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Has anyone else pointed out how expensive the hosting costs seem to be for the 20 or so of us still posting here?
:thunk:

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Baggot posted:

Right.
Used to be you didnt know anything until poo poo had already dramatically hit the fan.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
permaban lowtas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
patreon? the forums already have a payment processor etc, why would you give away a big slice to patreon for......