Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
In that hope, to do my part I just ran the 0900 EST Indy Open at Watkins Glen and there were 9 cars which for that time of day is pretty good. Finished 5th after battling hard for 4th all race and then finally overcooking my rear alternates and falling back a few seconds to the finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

In that hope, to do my part I just ran the 0900 EST Indy Open at Watkins Glen and there were 9 cars which for that time of day is pretty good. Finished 5th after battling hard for 4th all race and then finally overcooking my rear alternates and falling back a few seconds to the finish.

The Glen is excellent, but holy poo poo TMS on the oval fixed series feels like a murderdome where you're holding on for dear life for 75 laps. Really looking forward to next week at the Nords :stonklol:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Patch notes say they changed the Indy Fixed setup, according to the forum it wasn't actually the setup they meant to send over.

It was very twitchy (I haven't tried the new one yet) on cold tires but I liked it much more overall. The car isn't trying to send you straight into the wall as soon as you've put 20+ hot laps on the tires and have maxed out the weight jacker. Really my big problem with it is that (again, worse on cold tires) it felt like the steering wasn't loving connected with a giant deadzone in center.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Theophany posted:

The Glen is excellent, but holy poo poo TMS on the oval fixed series feels like a murderdome where you're holding on for dear life for 75 laps. Really looking forward to next week at the Nords :stonklol:

So Texas is true to real life then

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
took a break from iRacing and just getting back into it again now. yeah it might be rookie and it might be unranked, but carbeurator cup at daytona is fun as hell in the trucks. I've been fortunate enough to have some really good races and 10 lap sprints are rad compared to the longer stuff I'll end up getting back to once I feel comfortable jumping into C class

meeler09
May 24, 2007

barnold posted:

took a break from iRacing and just getting back into it again now. yeah it might be rookie and it might be unranked, but carbeurator cup at daytona is fun as hell in the trucks. I've been fortunate enough to have some really good races and 10 lap sprints are rad compared to the longer stuff I'll end up getting back to once I feel comfortable jumping into C class

I’m an open wheel road guy, but the trucks at Daytona are a blast. Hanging out setting up a final lap run in the top 4 is so fun.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Signed off 2023 with a win in the IR18. Gat dang that car is such a blast to thrash around in.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVlcADaT94o

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If anyone is looking to Daytona in 2 weeks now is the time to sign up (even for a single 1hr stint), see discord to :getin:

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
if you love something, let it go. if it comes back, it was meant to be.

https://www.racefans.net/2024/01/09/indycar-returning-to-iracing-in-coming-days-after-agreeing-deal-to-reunite/

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

To be a fly on the wall for that deal negotiation

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

ROAR was fun, for 38 laps until I hit the bus stop exit wrong and my GT4 got cozy with the wall.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

I had to give up iRacing a few years back when the whole "having a baby" experience consumed every moment of my spare time but I might be starting up again.

What are the popular road racing series at the moment? Are there still far too many championships for the amount of drivers running them and a whole load of series that never go official or have things improved since then?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I had to give up iRacing a few years back when the whole "having a baby" experience consumed every moment of my spare time but I might be starting up again.

What are the popular road racing series at the moment? Are there still far too many championships for the amount of drivers running them and a whole load of series that never go official or have things improved since then?

There’s still quite a few that have low participation, but there are plenty at each tier that are popular. GT3 still dominates the charts, but plenty of good racing to have in other series.

For rookies mx5 always has tons of splits. Going into D the PCC multi class usually has at least one, but the Clio sees very low drivers; the F4 and FF series are popular for open wheel. Class C is a bit of a funky spot but the adv mx5 series usually does okay, and if you want to keep going with open wheelers the F3 series does well generally.

https://iracingreports.com/

This is a useful site to check out participation for all of the series.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

glad to see you're giving up the fatherhood hobby for something more fruitful, not a lot of return on investment with those baby things

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

kidcoelacanth posted:

glad to see you're giving up the fatherhood hobby for something more fruitful, not a lot of return on investment with those baby things

I fully expect to be doing races with my daughter on my knee steering whilst I operate the pedals.

It will probably improve my iRating.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
GR86 always has good participation as well. Dclass and I know there are people that don't like driving that car very much but the participation is always there.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Practiced for over an hour for the weekly challenge at Okayama only to snap into the barrier after T2 on lap 1 and get meatballed. I've never died there before. Redman often gets me if I'm pushing but never there. The worst thing is it was top split and I actually had the pace to be mid-pack and it was a remarkably clean race where nobody else died or quit, making me dead last. It was nice being 1.5k rated for those few races, my goal is to have an average of over 1.5k iRating over 20 races. I think I'm capable with a reasonable schedule but not with mistakes like that, bit gutting as that combo is a favourite of mine, I expected to gain here ahead of a tough time at Mosport in the GR86.

At least I'll almost certainly be an second split if I race again and I should do OK if I learn not to drive into things. Other than that, I did note with satisfaction that I held my brakes as soon as it was obviously unsaveable and narrowly avoided a massive accident which almost certainly would have happened if I let my car roll back onto the track.
Who gets a 0x at Bathurst and then self-meatballs at Okayama, honestly?

As an aside, has anyone running VR found that the newest Racelabs massacres their framerate? Like it was below 20FPS with it on and closing it instantly welds my framerate to 90FPS.

I race in the evening UK time and I'm never short of a race in
GT3 - bit sweaty
Ferrari Challenge - GT3 but less sweaty and more crashy
F4 - loving madhouse
Production Car Cup - Toyota or Mazda only, few people drive the Clio or Mustang
Formula Ford - love the car and the people racing seem really nice too
Porsche Cup - hard car to drive and unlike the Ferrari it won't double up as a GT3
Advanced MX-5

Trying to plan a race with a 2 year and and 3 month old is fun!

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 14, 2024

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

necrotic posted:

For rookies mx5 always has tons of splits. Going into D the PCC multi class usually has at least one, but the Clio sees very low drivers; the F4 and FF series are popular for open wheel. Class C is a bit of a funky spot but the adv mx5 series usually does okay, and if you want to keep going with open wheelers the F3 series does well generally.

https://iracingreports.com/

This is a useful site to check out participation for all of the series.

Last time I raced regularly Skip Barbers completely dominated D-class participation, what happened?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Last time I raced regularly Skip Barbers completely dominated D-class participation, what happened?

Safe to say a LOT has happened since then. Including multiple new rookie open wheel cars that are a part of the base content.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

The F4 came out

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

necrotic posted:

The F4 came out

And the ff1600

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

And the ff1600