Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I mean you *can* but without evidence it's not really much of a thing then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Silver lining is I lost no SR and the other dude got DQ’d. And I’ll def be racing it again tonight. Just so close to having a full clean session

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I mean you *can* but without evidence it's not really much of a thing then.

wait, does iRacing not keep replays themselves for that exact scenario? I know they wouldn’t want to store all of them forever, but i’d imagine they would for a few days at least

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Squiggle posted:

iRacing please model me furiously gesticulating "go-around" in VR, also make my middle fingers real while you're in there

Index controller support when

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nybble posted:

wait, does iRacing not keep replays themselves for that exact scenario? I know they wouldn’t want to store all of them forever, but i’d imagine they would for a few days at least

That would be an absurd amount of data, and I suspect they'd want to be able to see what your actual iRacing client sees to rule out "bad netcode prediction" complaints.

Also, consider that the vast majority of events that happen result in no protests.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
start PMing people on the iracing forums that were in the race to see if they can send you the replay

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

There’s an option in settings to always prompt you to save a replay when you exit a session. It can be a helpful reminder for those times a protest-worthy interaction happens.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

waffle enthusiast posted:

There’s an option in settings to always prompt you to save a replay when you exit a session. It can be a helpful reminder for those times a protest-worthy interaction happens.

Even though I've only used it twice, I always keep this option on just in case. So what if it's one more click?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

giogadi posted:

Grahhhhhhhhh I was having a fun and clean race 15 laps into the advanced miata race. I was in 8th place, and the guy who had qualified 2nd was behind me (not a lap ahead). I wish I had saved the replay, but he essentially messed up an overtake and overcooked the turn, and then ran totally sideways across the track in order to wreck me. Thank goodness I didn’t lose any SR, but it should’ve been a big increase!!! I don’t understand what’s going through people’s minds when they do that. If I accidentally run someone off, I lie awake at night thinking about it for like weeks afterward

It does sound like maybe it was intentional if he got enough penalty points to DQ himself but any time I see someone assigning intention to another driver in the context of an accident I can't help but feel it's usually erroneous. Think of times you've hosed up and knocked another car out of a race (it happened to me a few weeks ago), how intentional do you think it seemed to the other driver? Especially if you haven't really examined a replay from both perspectives etc I think it's generally better to assume someone is just a terrible sportsperson and not intentionally ruining your race, though this does happen (generally you don't see this outside of newer people in miatas).

What I really need is a prompt to check my tire % after a race so I can learn to intuit where they're at more for when we do endurance races.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

It does sound like maybe it was intentional if he got enough penalty points to DQ himself but any time I see someone assigning intention to another driver in the context of an accident I can't help but feel it's usually erroneous. Think of times you've hosed up and knocked another car out of a race (it happened to me a few weeks ago), how intentional do you think it seemed to the other driver? Especially if you haven't really examined a replay from both perspectives etc I think it's generally better to assume someone is just a terrible sportsperson and not intentionally ruining your race, though this does happen (generally you don't see this outside of newer people in miatas).

This is a big reason why I regret not saving the replay. You’re right this is absolutely possible. Also, even if it was intentional, I’d like to see if I did something to aggravate them that I could’ve avoided.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I think every single instance I've had where I've thought "that guy just accelerated straight into me what the gently caress?!" it's been something like them getting out of shape and then right as they gather it up, dropping a wheel on the grass and turning 90 degrees into me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is simultaneously the most annoying and most helpful thing you can turn on in iracing

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is simultaneously the most annoying and most helpful thing you can turn on in iracing
That's right

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I raced an open SK race yesterday where there was guy in the open practice session just purposefully wrecking everyone, then doing the same thing when we were transferred over to the race practice session. Then was fairly tame in the race though he nerf barred every car that passed him until he finally took himself out while wrecking somebody else. Then the guy he wrecked gathered the car back up and drove straight into the racing groove and wrecked like 3rd, 4th, and a lapped car. He didn't even go for payback or anything on the guy who did it just went full on, if my race is ruined then so is anybody else I can get my hands on. It's only probably the 4th or 5th protest I've ever filed and it's definitely the first time I've filed a protest on two people for intentional wrecking in the same race. Especially when pretty much the whole lobby had decided the first guy is getting reported by everyone for driving like a jerk.

But like Vando said, most of the time you think you've been horribly wronged by some complete rear end in a top hat there are usually extenuating circumstances that make them more poor driving/bad luck/poor racing decision making incidents than someone purposely wrecking you. I find an apology can go a long way too. I was in classic '87 NASCAR race a few weeks ago and totally drove into the back of the guy in front of me. Spun him out, completely my fault. Right away he's on the radio saying come on, what the hell, and the like. He was side by side with another car and the other car was on the radio saying he was having real bad handling problems and I was watching him instead of how much the car in front of me had slowed for the corner and I took him out. I explained what I was looking at, apologized and the guy was actually pretty cool about it. Totally switched his tone to, ok yeah I get it, it happens, try to be more careful, etc. I've been on the other side of it too and I'll take a kick in the pants way easier if it at least comes with some acknowledgement of a mistake than a gently caress you to go along with it.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
In relation to binding chat commands (pass left, pass right): if I am coming up on a slower car, I am not looking at chat when I’m around that car. Even if I see a message, I do not have the time to look at who sent it, what it says, and validate it’s from the name in front of me. Also, many people run with voice and text chat off. What you think is a helpful message is routinely unseen. Best practice is maintain your line and let me pass you.

In relation to studying other drivers in session: looking at their cockpits for line and gear selection is fine, but be aware the brake and throttle will be latency impacted. Meaning if it seems like the fast guy is braking way later than you, seemingly way too late, and still making the corner, they are likely braking earlier than it seems from the onboard.

I know many of us run VRS telemetry (paid) and Garage61 telemetry (free). Garage61 will have a lot of public laps, sometimes seeing what folks are actually doing with the gas and brake can be helpful once you’re comfortable with the line you want to go for. If you run the telemetry yourself, you can directly compare the laps to see what is different where.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
VRS telemetry is also free, it's the specific series guides you have to pay for to compare against the instructors (some of those are also free).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Banzai 3 posted:

In relation to binding chat commands (pass left, pass right): if I am coming up on a slower car, I am not looking at chat when I’m around that car. Even if I see a message, I do not have the time to look at who sent it, what it says, and validate it’s from the name in front of me. Also, many people run with voice and text chat off. What you think is a helpful message is routinely unseen. Best practice is maintain your line and let me pass you.

In relation to studying other drivers in session: looking at their cockpits for line and gear selection is fine, but be aware the brake and throttle will be latency impacted. Meaning if it seems like the fast guy is braking way later than you, seemingly way too late, and still making the corner, they are likely braking earlier than it seems from the onboard.

I know many of us run VRS telemetry (paid) and Garage61 telemetry (free). Garage61 will have a lot of public laps, sometimes seeing what folks are actually doing with the gas and brake can be helpful once you’re comfortable with the line you want to go for. If you run the telemetry yourself, you can directly compare the laps to see what is different where.

Agree but I do have my chat just under my windshield and I absolutely look at my relative when I'm coming up on a slower class car and check their name so that if they do the whole PASS RIGHT/LEFT thing I know who they're talking to. I prefer slower class cars to stay on their racing line but somewhat often the newer people will do all sorts of weird stuff.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

It's happening dot jif

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

It's happening dot jif

Oh poo poo.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

It's happening dot jif

One of us! One of us!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

It's happening dot jif

:sickos:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Oh gently caress yeah my monitor mounts are running a day early too :f5:

E:aww, back to Monday

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 14, 2022

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Speaking of monitor mounts, I'm setting up a new dedicated rig and am not sure which monitor mount/arm to buy. The rig will be sitting right next to my computer desk and I have a 34 inch ultra wide I would like to be able to swivel back and forth between the rig and my desk. Any ones in particular people have had good experiences with?

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Ergotron

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Immolat1on posted:

Speaking of monitor mounts, I'm setting up a new dedicated rig and am not sure which monitor mount/arm to buy. The rig will be sitting right next to my computer desk and I have a 34 inch ultra wide I would like to be able to swivel back and forth between the rig and my desk. Any ones in particular people have had good experiences with?

I do that exact thing with my right monitor. I use this stand:

VIVO Premium Black Single Articulating Computer Monitor Arm Desk Mount, Height Adjustable, Tilt, Swivel, Rotation Stand for 1 Screen up to 27 inches STAND-V001JB https://a.co/d/9cqY1FH

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Eyud posted:

Ergotron

I've used a couple of Ergotrons over the years, and they're solid. Currently using this with my 34" ultrawide.

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ask me about being a paedophile.
I've had fairly good experience with the knock off ergotrons that look basically the same. I think one of them was an amazon basics. Did the job I expected of it and seemed decent quality for what at the time was less than half the price. But Ergotron certainly have a good reputation, I've never had one so perhaps I don't know what I'm missing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have this big chonky boi, which is a medical grade Ergotron arm used to hold up diagnostic equipment in a hospital setting.

I bolted a VESA mount to it and now it holds a monitor.

It’s nice because the wheels lock, so it stays in place, and I can also roll it to the couch to play pc games on it with the high refresh monitor.

It has a 25lb bench press bar weight in the base to keep it planted. I’m guessing you would swap that weight out to appropriately counter whatever medical equipment was hanging off the arm

It’s overkill, but like, the best kind of overkill, especially since I pretty much exclusively race in VR, so a triple setup isnt really necessary

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 17, 2022

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

:negative: my cords are too short

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'm jealous of the angle on your rig's chair mount...the GT Omega Apex seat add-on is drat near flat and it's actually pretty uncomfortable, and doesn't support your thighs. I want to feel poured into that thing.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 17, 2022

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Is that whole rig Simlab? I think I’m going to start picking up something like that because I want a seat like that.

What arms did you use with the monitors?

Lastly, what GPU are you using? All 3 monitors running off DP or HDMI? I’d probably upgrade my GPU to handle it.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Douchebag posted:

Is that whole rig Simlab? I think I’m going to start picking up something like that because I want a seat like that.

What arms did you use with the monitors?

Lastly, what GPU are you using? All 3 monitors running off DP or HDMI? I’d probably upgrade my GPU to handle it.

Yeah whole rig is from simlab, GT1 Evo with the integrated triple monitor mount, with their Vario VESA mounts (game changingly good for getting the monitors aligned)

GPU is a 1080ti, 2 are gonna be HDMI, one display port, but I haven't had a chance to actually hook up and configure the triples, just have them mounted right now.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Squiggle posted:

I'm jealous of the angle on your rig's chair mount...the GT Omega Apex seat add-on is drat near flat and it's actually pretty uncomfortable, and doesn't support your thighs. I want to feel poured into that thing.

While I agree that having the adjustment on that simlabs one would be nice, I have the GT Omega Apex rear add-on seat mount that you have, and I use this seat:

It's at completely the right angle without any angle changes (it's just flat mount). I think it's the GT Omega seats that are letting you down - not the extender. Most aftermarket seats will have rails to adjust the height (like in mazeofetcetcetc's rig).

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

GPU is a 1080ti, 2 are gonna be HDMI, one display port, but I haven't had a chance to actually hook up and configure the triples, just have them mounted right now.

Have you tested the performance with this yet? I had to chuck my triples setup when I was running an RX 580 because even 5780x1080 became too much for it, and that was over 18 months ago before the graphics updates last year.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Not yet, I'm off camping this weekend, probably will test it out Monday

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Haven't noticed any performance issues while racing, but I also haven't been staring at my fps counter.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

all quiet up in here for a while.

Shame that; I've actually had some really successful racing after coming back from a long break.

currently enjoying the Lambo GT3 and the Porsche Cup again, and even getting some modest results. VR setup just feels better and more natural every time I use it.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
We're all in the discord still. League season started last week, more weekend enduro teams going on, lot of people running TCRs, and a bunch of us just joined a decently organised Sunday GT3 league.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Yep, still iRacing with these fine discord people every Friday and Sunday. We’ve had ~16 cars in the last two Sunday races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
As the others have said, Discord is where the party is at. Forums are for old people.

I am joking please don't ban me.