Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I'm likely doing but with a group of co-workers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I'm likely doing but with a group of co-workers

pro race car driver spotted

sucks the real bathurst 12 hour is off for this year, one of my greatest memories last year was watching that jawn at 4am

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I'll probably race it solo for a bit like I did for the 24hrs as it was a blast. I expect to lose an immense amount of iRating again.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Skim Milk posted:

pro race car driver spotted

Nah mediocre car nerd computer touchers, i think our average iRating is 1600 so we're far from good.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

trip report: scamming my way past two classes in a season is going predictably. mostly turn one mishaps of people hitting me but thats ok because we're all god's children

did anyone see the new 20min fixed GT3 series? will run in B class and at alternating timeslots from VRS sprint so you can run them back to back

also bmw gt4 fixed series is low key awesome. that car feels like big mx5 in the best way. ferraris is great but a wreck fest. skippys are the fedoras and vapes of road racing

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010
Come race with us in the league

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

where/how do I league?

edit: disregard, still cant read

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Theris posted:

Yeah, IIRC alien was coined to describe Huttu back when he ruled GPL with an iron fist.

To me, an alien isn't just someone who's super fast, they're someone who's super fast via a very different driving style than a non-alien would (or, importantly, ever could) have.

I remember there was someone in GPL who made like, an insane set up (something about the ride height being zero?) and like broke all the lap times by a solid second. I forget his name though.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Nah mediocre car nerd computer touchers, i think our average iRating is 1600 so we're far from good.

bearpope: officially better than F1 WDC Fernando Alonso

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

order some new pedals and when they arrive its over for these hoes

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I know I am not the first, and I won't be the last, but iRacing can sometimes be way too harsh in what it will consider a safety rating penalty. Having progress undone can be so de-motivating. :sigh:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah sometimes it sucks but I've given up stressing about my iRacing numbers.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Vasukhani posted:

I remember there was someone in GPL who made like, an insane set up (something about the ride height being zero?) and like broke all the lap times by a solid second. I forget his name though.

If GPL stands for Grand Prix Legends then yeah probably. GPL had problems with its default suspension setups being awful and the physics crude, so the way to solve it was to make it irrelevant by bottoming out the ride height.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

I know I am not the first, and I won't be the last, but iRacing can sometimes be way too harsh in what it will consider a safety rating penalty. Having progress undone can be so de-motivating. :sigh:

At least take heart that sim racing is better than real life, where things can be certainly way too harsh and you can be out thousands of dollars because someone else did a bad move on you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpHwfvn_yeg

You gotta treat your iRating like your stack size in a poker game; luck is going to cause it to go up or down sometimes but if you have the skills you'll tend upwards.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I think this largely stops being a problem when you start doing longer races (45min+), explained by this graph:

You want the least exposure to area under the curve, but you can't control what lap your participation begins (well, sorta if you start from pits which is like skipping the high incident % first lap). The only thing you can control is to try to be more aware (obviously assume you're doing this already) and to increase your exposure to the tail end on the right side of the graph where you'll be lapping with a very low % of incident point accrual.

(Just kidding to the Brasil goon friends).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Everyone with an A license learned a long time ago to give anyone with a Brazil club tag on their car a few extra inches of space.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

same but italians

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

same but literally everyone whose name isn't stored my mental database of "can race side by side without murdering me"

i say database, it's more of a mental post-it note

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

NtotheTC posted:

same but literally everyone whose name isn't stored my mental database of "can race side by side without murdering me"

i say database, it's more of a mental post-it note

*looks at post-it while side by side*

*crashes*

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I've rage quit a race because an idiot wiped me out at the first turn before and I think dealing with that is just part of being on iRacing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yesterday I had someone try to pass me at Mcleans on Donington Park in Skips. I was in first and had the fastest qualifying (in the bottom split) and he was to my left coming up to the turn and I was pushed right to the curb so I had to brake early. One of my tires slipped on the curb and I lost it and took us both out. He proceeded to spend the rest of the race complaining in chat about how he's obviously faster than me and I should have let him pass and not slowing down for him is equivalent to blocking a blue flag. Several people tried to explain it to him but he wasn't having it and rage quit.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

KillHour posted:

Yesterday I had someone try to pass me at Mcleans on Donington Park in Skips. I was in first and had the fastest qualifying (in the bottom split) and he was to my left coming up to the turn and I was pushed right to the curb so I had to brake early. One of my tires slipped on the curb and I lost it and took us both out. He proceeded to spend the rest of the race complaining in chat about how he's obviously faster than me and I should have let him pass and not slowing down for him is equivalent to blocking a blue flag. Several people tried to explain it to him but he wasn't having it and rage quit.

When time trial tryhards go racing and don't understand what "racing" is

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I just pointed out that there's probably a reason he's running 1:18s and still stuck in the bottom split and he didn't like that lmao.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

It really is a completely different experience. I remember my first few online races, and it was an eye-opener (and I thoroughly embarrassed myself).

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Also sometimes you're the person who put a tyre wrong and collected half the field, and sometimes you're the person getting collected.

Namaste.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mfcrocker posted:

Also sometimes you're the person who put a tyre wrong and collected half the field, and sometimes you're the person getting collected.

Namaste.

I, a Lmp2, got ran into by a Porsche 911 and you know, sometimes you are the murderer sometimes you are the murdered.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm just glad it doesn't cost me real money when I wreck $30 million worth of cars in 5 seconds.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Zaphod42 posted:

...but if you have the skills you'll tend upwards.

I feel attacked.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

coming back to this thread to say that I am defeated. trying to grind out an extra level sucks and even if I did go from R->B this season I'd probably embarrass myself in B lobbies for reasons other than pace (consistent close racing etc). learn from me kids, its not worth it

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

trip report: fanatec clubsport v3 pedals are dope. you can roll off those brakes real nice like. gained an instant second on my times and all of my laps are much more consistent. laps went from a variance of maybe half a second or more down to a tenth.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Skim Milk posted:

coming back to this thread to say that I am defeated. trying to grind out an extra level sucks and even if I did go from R->B this season I'd probably embarrass myself in B lobbies for reasons other than pace (consistent close racing etc). learn from me kids, its not worth it

Yeah rookies to a class in 12 weeks is real hard, and once you get to A you're like uhh now I suck.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

tater_salad posted:

Yeah rookies to a class in 12 weeks is real hard, and once you get to A you're like uhh now I suck.

it me, a huge dumbass who's extremely mad about rolling with a high 3 SR and my iRating up going up each race

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

that being said, anyone who's borderline, come down to bearpope. its fun.

unless you're a lovely rear end in a top hat, then dont.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I'm on such a high right now. Won my last 2 races today, both of which solidifies me finishing in the top 10 of my division for 2021 S1.

ARCA: Div 5, 6th place, 3 wins this season (Nashville, Daytona and Richmond today). Considering ARCA is a loving shitshow on a good day, top 10 has me so happy.

Trucks C Fixed: Div 5, 6th place, 1 win (TODAY!) at Vegas.

My goal was to finish on the first page for my division, which is top 24, I'm pretty happy and proud of where I'm finishing. I'm never doing a full season with 2 series again though LOL, 4 weeks per series per week got to be a bit much and I started to not have as much fun in the middle because I was focusing so much on points and had a few weeks where I sucked.

In the past 12 weeks I've improved a lot though. My iRating at the start of S1 was mid 1400's, and I'm low 1900's now, so I've been running mostly in top or second splits lately and you really learn a lot racing at a higher level. Finally decided to knock off the B class MPR's and get my A license. I already owned most of the tracks and I wanted to run some of the Cup races from time to time.

Future goals for 2021?

Run the full C Open series.
Learn how to drive dirt. Started this week, so far its been fun even in just rookie street stocks.
Start running the advanced Mazda's so I can meet my C license MPR's, and also start running road courses without the driving line and learn how to really drive a road/street course.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Skim Milk posted:

trip report: fanatec clubsport v3 pedals are dope. you can roll off those brakes real nice like. gained an instant second on my times and all of my laps are much more consistent. laps went from a variance of maybe half a second or more down to a tenth.

They're real loving nice. Night-and-day upgrade from spring-modded G27s.

Do you use the little rumble motors on them? With SimHub (and probably other software) you can configure them to react to telemetry from the game, like people do with bass shakers (which SimHub also supports). I set mine so that the gas vibrates when wheels slip, and the brake vibrates when wheels start to lock up. It's nice to have another physical cue for those, especially braking. Or you can just have them react to cool immersion poo poo like RPMs and kerbs. It's a nice little bonus that I wasn't really thinking about when I bought them, but it's actually pretty dope.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:toot:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah it's gonna be real fun running trucks on dirt at Bristol this season when I have basically no dirt oval experience, though I think I have MPR so if I do good enough and gain SR I might actually get out of dirt oval rookies in a paved oval series

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
Eh, just start running the occasional dirt street stock race when you don't feel like doing a serious race, or during week 13. It'll at least get you more comfortable on dirt, though I'm not sure how much of the feel will carry over to the trucks. Also dirt is great, you should give it an honest shot sometime. The d class 358 modifieds has unexpectedly been some of the closest and cleanest racing I've had this season.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp5EjQ_G78w&t=635s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Shine posted:

They're real loving nice. Night-and-day upgrade from spring-modded G27s.

Do you use the little rumble motors on them? With SimHub (and probably other software) you can configure them to react to telemetry from the game, like people do with bass shakers (which SimHub also supports). I set mine so that the gas vibrates when wheels slip, and the brake vibrates when wheels start to lock up. It's nice to have another physical cue for those, especially braking. Or you can just have them react to cool immersion poo poo like RPMs and kerbs. It's a nice little bonus that I wasn't really thinking about when I bought them, but it's actually pretty dope.

iRacing supports this natively but I'm sure SimHub (which I've never used) has better options for tuning it and even providing more feedback. The pedal vibrations are worth the price of the V3's hands down though.