Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Shine posted:

They're real loving nice. Night-and-day upgrade from spring-modded G27s.

Do you use the little rumble motors on them? With SimHub (and probably other software) you can configure them to react to telemetry from the game, like people do with bass shakers (which SimHub also supports). I set mine so that the gas vibrates when wheels slip, and the brake vibrates when wheels start to lock up. It's nice to have another physical cue for those, especially braking. Or you can just have them react to cool immersion poo poo like RPMs and kerbs. It's a nice little bonus that I wasn't really thinking about when I bought them, but it's actually pretty dope.

I haven’t messed with it yet but the even the default vibration is nice. Also the clutch pedal is a nice surprise even if I don’t use it much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Can always use the clutch pedal as an ebrake for dirt foolishness now and then!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Douchebag posted:

iRacing supports this natively but I'm sure SimHub (which I've never used) has better options for tuning it and even providing more feedback. The pedal vibrations are worth the price of the V3's hands down though.

That's funny, I never noticed that iRacing supports it natively. I was already using SimHub for a bass shaker, so when I added the pedals and saw SH's rumble motor function, I set it up before seeing what games would support natively. I'll have to try disabling SH and see how IR's support feels, out of curiosity if nothing else. Thanks for the heads up!

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

iRacing only supports 1 shaker I believe and I don't think you direct it to another audio device (I could be wrong there not sure). For anything more complicated like front + back, or four corners etc you need simhub

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I meant iRacing supports vibrating pedals, since I don't use anything other than RaceLabs but I get pretty good pedal vibration feedback all the time. I'm not familiar with any of the shaker stuff I don't use that.

What other stuff does SimHub provide?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Douchebag posted:

I meant iRacing supports vibrating pedals, since I don't use anything other than RaceLabs but I get pretty good pedal vibration feedback all the time. I'm not familiar with any of the shaker stuff I don't use that.

basically everything that can be driven from telemetry for most of the popular games/sims. I have two bass shakers in front/rear config, and two fans (for cooling more than realism but they are controlled by my speed!)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Douchebag posted:

Telemetry-driven tactile feedback through bass shakers and pedals is all I use (the Buttkicker Gamer 2 bass shaker and Fanatec V3 pedals, specifically, and it's hella dope), but it can also display dash info on your monitor/phone/various LCDs, output to analog gauges (speedometers and such) and even weird poo poo like wind simulation with a fan for open-wheel cars. Basically it's a tool to interface with "my immersion!!!" sim hardware. You can use it to make the pedal motors work in any supported game (which is basically every tryhard PC racing sim).

https://www.simhubdash.com/supported-hardware/

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Shine posted:

Telemetry-driven tactile feedback through bass shakers and pedals is all I use (the Buttkicker Gamer 2 bass shaker and Fanatec V3 pedals, specifically, and it's hella dope), but it can also display dash info on your monitor/phone/various LCDs, output to analog gauges (speedometers and such) and even weird poo poo like wind simulation with a fan for open-wheel cars. Basically it's a tool to interface with "my immersion!!!" sim hardware. You can use it to make the pedal motors work in any supported game (which is basically every tryhard PC racing sim).

https://www.simhubdash.com/supported-hardware/

OK yeah I'm not even going to try it because I've already maxed out my space and budget and its too tempting to buy bass shakers and stuff. I'll keep it simple with some RaceLabs overlays for now LOL.

PS: My wife would smother me in my sleep if I add anymore hardware.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Douchebag posted:

OK yeah I'm not even going to try it because I've already maxed out my space and budget and its too tempting to buy bass shakers and stuff. I'll keep it simple with some RaceLabs overlays for now LOL.

PS: My wife would smother me in my sleep if I add anymore hardware.

when you change your mind, these things are the tits: https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-BST-1-High-Power-Pro-Tactile-Bass-Shaker-50-Watts-295-244 not as powerful as a ButtkickerTM but 4 of them + an amp for under $200 is awesome

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 4, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

when you change your mind, these things are the tits: https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-BST-1-High-Power-Pro-Tactile-Bass-Shaker-50-Watts-295-244 not as powerful as a ButtkickerTM but 4 of them + an amp for under $200 is awesome

What power supply and sound card do you recommend pairing with this? I might pull the trigger on something like it.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

KillHour posted:

What power supply and sound card do you recommend pairing with this? I might pull the trigger on something like it.

I just bought a 24v 6amp laptop charger (but i only run 2 off it so ymmv) cut off the end and attached it to the board

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I actually have those four pucks and an amp that was recommended for them, but I bought them right around the time my job responsibilities changed, and I lost the time/energy to slap them onto my set, because I am a goober. I got the amp recc from some simpit forum or another, so lemme dig it out.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I have the Lepai LP-2020A+, which has been phased out and replaced with this: https://www.parts-express.com/Lepai-LP-2020TI-Digital-Hi-Fi-Audio-Mini-Amplifier-with-Power-Supply-310-3000

The 2020A+ included a power adapter.

e: for sound card, I had a Sound Blaster something-or-other sitting around that I'd planned to use for it. Maybe I'll actually loving install this stuff?

Shine fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 5, 2021

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

oh sorry yes- for soundcard im just using my motherboard onboard 3.5mm, i use usb headphones and vr headset so its going spare

e: looks like that amp board i posted has four separate outputs while the one i use that only supports 2 channels combines them into one output, so i guess you would need a separate soundcard

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 5, 2021

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Okay, it's all coming back to me. A buddy gave me an amp for two pucks, and I got the one above for two more. Then I had some bigass job changes and got sidetracked, then I moved across the country for like the 5th time and lost the first amp. Then I never unpacked this stuff and it's been sitting for years.

Honestly I'm probably just gonna dump the pucks and amp. The ClubSport pedals (acquired recently'ish) have the front left/right vibration that was my primary interest with the pucks, and I have a BKG2 to work my seat, and I'm old and tired and lovely and don't wanna set this other crap up. I'm going to bed now.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Replaced my mostly non-functional DFGT with a G29 and have been trying to get comfortable and my settings and keybinds and familiarity dialed in so that I have even a slight chance of not wrecking everyone in my first race in the first turn. Last night I decided to do an AI race just to kind of feel out racing driving with other cars on track at Laguna Seca in the MX5s, start doing the formation lap and get to turn 11 and the AI lined up next to me just didn't brake and slammed into the side of me. The only thing I could do was laugh and think that they did a really good job with the awful driver level AI.

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Replaced my mostly non-functional DFGT with a G29 and have been trying to get comfortable and my settings and keybinds and familiarity dialed in so that I have even a slight chance of not wrecking everyone in my first race in the first turn. Last night I decided to do an AI race just to kind of feel out racing driving with other cars on track at Laguna Seca in the MX5s, start doing the formation lap and get to turn 11 and the AI lined up next to me just didn't brake and slammed into the side of me. The only thing I could do was laugh and think that they did a really good job with the awful driver level AI.

Yes, that is super accurate for MX-5's at Seca.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Going to race against real people tonight probably, I'm super excited about it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Going to race against real people tonight probably, I'm super excited about it.

Just race. Someone is going to punt you into a wall on your first few anyways.

I've been doing skips this week and oh boy does Long Beach have some horrific pileups.

Edit: Rookies is at Seca this week? Hahahaha you're so screwed. Have fun.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 5, 2021

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Trying to get out of Rookie Dirt Oval is proving to be a slog. 5 races, SR is just 2.69. I've done 5 races (100 laps total) at Limaland and I have just 6 total incidents. Hoping to push that to 3.0 by weeks end so I can run the UMPs and whatever other D class dirt cars that are not Streets soon. Time trials give something like a .02 so I could just run that over and over but that's boring.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Douchebag posted:

Trying to get out of Rookie Dirt Oval is proving to be a slog. 5 races, SR is just 2.69. I've done 5 races (100 laps total) at Limaland and I have just 6 total incidents. Hoping to push that to 3.0 by weeks end so I can run the UMPs and whatever other D class dirt cars that are not Streets soon. Time trials give something like a .02 so I could just run that over and over but that's boring.

I just dug up my results from dirt rookies and it looks like it took me 6 races with 8 total inc to get to 3. Considering how quick the races are it didn't feel very sloggy to me.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Theris posted:

I just dug up my results from dirt rookies and it looks like it took me 6 races with 8 total inc to get to 3. Considering how quick the races are it didn't feel very sloggy to me.

Could be the track. I think Limaland is considered 2 turns. Whereas a track like USA is 4, who knows. No big deal I'll just keep plugging away since every lap I learn something new anyway.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Trip Report from my first Rookie MX-5 Race at Laguna Seca:

Started P12, got distracted while I was supposed to be qualifying, whoops. Race starts, there's a guy in front of me that spins out in T1 who just so happens to spin directly in my path (or at least that was my impression at the time, I tried to avoid him as I saw it happening but I think I may have miscalculated) so I ended up basically stopped T-boning this guy so I had to sit around until he extricated himself from the situation. Had a few too many sloppy incidents that I need to work out so I can have better consistency. Caught up to another person and they braked way earlier than I had been at a particular turn and I ended up giving them a little punt and I felt real bad about it, other than those two little scrapes I kept my nose clean from any bigger incidents and ended up finishing 8th. All in all, pretty satisfied with at least crossing the finish line on my first race.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

That's a pretty good experience for your first race. Low split lobbies are full of unpredictable braking points and lines. Because of that you'll learn to give more space to those around as you get more experience, and move up to higher splits. In the mean-time, keep grinding races.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Started P12, got distracted while I was supposed to be qualifying, whoops. Race starts, there's a guy in front of me that spins out in T1 who just so happens to spin directly in my path (or at least that was my impression at the time, I tried to avoid him as I saw it happening but I think I may have miscalculated) so I ended up basically stopped T-boning this guy so I had to sit around until he extricated himself from the situation. Had a few too many sloppy incidents that I need to work out so I can have better consistency. Caught up to another person and they braked way earlier than I had been at a particular turn and I ended up giving them a little punt and I felt real bad about it, other than those two little scrapes I kept my nose clean from any bigger incidents and ended up finishing 8th. All in all, pretty satisfied with at least crossing the finish line on my first race.

lower the brake force factor on your pedals if you havent done so already. it helps on the g29 pedals for sure. I was using a 0.70 I think. source: Im a huge noob. there's an inflection point on the pedals where the spring gets a lot stiffer. I tried to set the force factor to where that was ~50% brake force and assume id go a little bit deeper under duress

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Good work! Get in the bearpope discord! Like the poster above me mentioned, you should lower that setting to 0 because the software for the pedals already applies a nonlinear curve to the potentiometer. If your brake factor is set to anything over 0 you're essentially applying a curve on top of the existing curve and it makes predictable braking a lot more difficult. You might feel like you're getting away with it now because the MX5 has ABS and no speed but once you get into cars without ABS (and even those with it) you won't want to be relearning anything.

When I had my g29 pedals I did this velcro mod and it made them much much quieter. I recommend it if you live with other people or have downstairs neighbors (it's a very easy mod):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiesEdzZFM8

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

VelociBacon posted:

Good work! Get in the bearpope discord!
Definitely do this and race in the bearpope league races especially if road racing is going to be your main focus in iRacing. It is not my main focus, I run probably 95% oval races, but I have learned a lot from those guys as far as racing lines at certain tracks and stuff like that. It's not often you get a chance to race with guys who are around 2000 iRating when you're an 1100 iRating so being able to get advice live and see where/how they're running when you're around them is a big help. I don't do it enough to really have the consistency in my braking or turn in points every lap to compete with the faster guys yet but it is a great resource.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

White flag is out, you're in 9th down a lap and directly behind the leader who passed you a lap ago. You have 16 incidents and the leader is at cooldown lap pace because the person in 2nd is 10 seconds down.

Do you:

A. Chill out behind the leader because you're not going to get a place and 9th is pretty good
B. Drive hard and try to pass the leader if a spot opens but generally play it safe.
C. Ask for a pointby since it won't affect the race anyways
D. Try to divebomb the leader in the last hairpin before the finish line, risking a disqualification for literally no benefit.

Answer:
He missed me and I won anyways :woop:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 6, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bigbillystyle posted:

Definitely do this and race in the bearpope league races especially if road racing is going to be your main focus in iRacing. It is not my main focus, I run probably 95% oval races, but I have learned a lot from those guys as far as racing lines at certain tracks and stuff like that. It's not often you get a chance to race with guys who are around 2000 iRating when you're an 1100 iRating so being able to get advice live and see where/how they're running when you're around them is a big help. I don't do it enough to really have the consistency in my braking or turn in points every lap to compete with the faster guys yet but it is a great resource.

I’m generally pretty far off race lead’s pace on ovals and on road courses, but I have enough road course experience that the couple weeks a year the oval series go to road courses, I can come in and actually be competitive for a change.

:toot:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

KillHour posted:

White flag is out, you're in 9th down a lap and directly behind the leader who passed you a lap ago. You have 16 incidents and the leader is at cooldown lap pace because the person in 2nd is 10 seconds down.

Do you:

A. Chill out behind the leader because you're not going to get a place and 9th is pretty good
B. Drive hard and try to pass the leader if a spot opens but generally play it safe.
C. Ask for a pointby since it won't affect the race anyways
D. Try to divebomb the leader in the last hairpin before the finish line, risking a disqualification for literally no benefit.

Answer:

Force a caution, get the lucky dog, wreck the field on the restart :unsmigghh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Since setting brake force to 0 I am faster and much much more reliable. I'm finding I can actually battle for position now and feel confident where in the past I'd often basically let people just overtake me since I didn't want to risk an incident. I've always been good about holding my line but I'm getting more aggressive about it now.

Need to work on bringing down my qualifying lap times a little more, but definitely getting faster.

KillHour posted:

Answer:

100% saw this coming lmao

glad it worked out

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

one of us, one of us

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I won again :aaaaa:

What made me stop sucking?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

KillHour posted:

I won again :aaaaa:

What made me stop sucking?

iRating depressed enough by bad races that you got in with the special split (like me)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

iRating depressed enough by bad races that you got in with the special split (like me)

Nope, split 3/5.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Secret Mazda standing start strats: when the lights come on simply put it in gear and when they go out just put down the gas. You’ll fly past everyone spinning their tires lol

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Skim Milk posted:

Secret Mazda standing start strats: when the lights come on simply put it in gear and when they go out just put down the gas. You’ll fly past everyone spinning their tires lol

I honestly thought I was doing something wrong when I figured out this start. Everyone else is sitting there revving before the lights go out and I’m just sitting there silently waiting

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Granny starts are the way to go

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I tend to do pretty well holding it at like 3-4k revs, but yeah going full tilt on the throttle is the worst idea

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

my first race win was with the start. launched from second row at laguna seca and by the time I got out of the hairpin I never saw anyone again. I was positively giddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

V for Vegans posted:

I honestly thought I was doing something wrong when I figured out this start. Everyone else is sitting there revving before the lights go out and I’m just sitting there silently waiting

Before the current tire model, you used to have to dump the clutch at 5000 rpms. Yeah for any standing start it seems to just be put it in gear and get on the gas smoothly.