Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Are you guys using anti stall or just feathering the clutch off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

KillHour posted:

Are you guys using anti stall or just feathering the clutch off?

There's literally no reason to turn off anti-stall unless you're a masochist.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Theris posted:

There's literally no reason to turn off anti-stall unless you're a masochist.

Yep. I had it off for a while but unless iRacing forces it off, it's a disadvantage to have it off , I'll be keeping it on.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Upcoming S2 Bearpope things:

3hrs from now - FR3.5 + DW12 fun league race at Spa, followed by GT4 + Mazda MX-5 race at Nords

Sunday - first race of the Nordschleife Challenge, a series of league races every Sunday building up to the 24hr at the end of April, using a variety of cars

Next Friday - first race of the GT3 league, moving to the Friday slot for this season. Follows the VRS schedule and serves as practice for the VES races on the Sat/Sun

Saturday March 27th - Sebring 12h, probably multiple teams running in this, see signup sheet in Discord for more info. Defending our GT3 1-2 finish last year!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
GT3 series time!

Vando fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 14, 2021

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Also if you're a NA person:

:siren: League race tonight is 1hr later for you due to time change :siren:

This will be the case next week also, then back to normal the following week.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

So I picked up a used g27 set on Saturday, played around with my friends a bit on wreckfest and dirt rally 2, and then got 12 months of iRacing on Sunday for cheap because my friend plays a lot and gave me a referral code. Hes into oval stuff so we played around a bit in stock trucks (?) and indy cars, but the constant wrecks in rookie kinda turned me off. Plus I'm mostly a rally driver (irl, never been on a track), so I found oval to be kinda boring.

Yesterday I seen the new season started so I checked out some road racing. I decided I'd like to do the rookie miata series, so I fired up a test session of Tsukuba and drove about 50 laps. I had thought "oh I'll just practice tonight and do a race tomorrow", but by the end of the 50 I was feeling so good that I entered a race. Then after that I entered another, and despite my brain telling me it was bedtime and I didn't have time for more, I thought "ah I can run 5 more laps to wind down" and ended up doing probably another 30 more lol. I'd say altogether probably about 150 laps at Tsukuba last night. I think I'm hooked.

Minimal offs, mid-pack both races, and improved my safety rating both times, so pretty pleased about that. I love the experience of constantly refining my line, eeking out hundredths here and there, and occasionally finding a tenth or quarter when I "discover" the apex or something. Can't wait to get back and run some more Tsukuba tonight, I love that track!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Welcome to the money pit!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
It's the new season today right? Time to get serious about turning some laps in the Miata!

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yesterday evening for us in EDT but yeah, welcome to 21S2. Already had a great race, 4th in Euro Sprint Series GTE at Sebring. Getting ready for our team's run at the 12 hour.

Fun bit of questionable driving that happened in front of me on lap 2:
https://streamable.com/uzj5et

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

njsykora posted:

Welcome to the money pit!

I figured it would be a good idea to fall into a small money pit like iRacing rather than a large money pit like taking my rally car to do GT Sprints :homebrew:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Driving on a local track here for a day is about the cost of buying almost all of the content on iRacing. It's so expensive, so this is much cheaper in comparison.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Driving on a local track here for a day is about the cost of buying almost all of the content on iRacing. It's so expensive, so this is much cheaper in comparison.

this: I use to do SCCA Solo2 races and a track day here or there.
I always dreamed of getting a street stock and running my local track. But then I'd need a pickup to haul it, tools / shop space to work on it, tires, fuel, the whole Saturday/weeknights etc.

I can buy a kickass rig and content for iRacing over racing for real and still save tons of money. Granted it's not exactly the same but so much cheaper and more convenient.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hadn’t raced in three weeks. Jumped into the IMSA race at Nürburgring. Accidentally used the normal brake marker on the inside…on lap one…at turn one.

Anyway I’m waiting for an email from iRacing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

waffle enthusiast posted:

Hadn’t raced in three weeks. Jumped into the IMSA race at Nürburgring. Accidentally used the normal brake marker on the inside…on lap one…at turn one.

Anyway I’m waiting for an email from iRacing.

Something about that track for me, I'm super slow on it. When this season started I did an ESS at sebring in the p217 and won my class, then did some practice and raced that IMSA @ NBring and came in second from last only because someone else crashed out. Specifically turns 2-4 I never feel like I got right.

e:

tater_salad posted:

this: I use to do SCCA Solo2 races and a track day here or there.
I always dreamed of getting a street stock and running my local track. But then I'd need a pickup to haul it, tools / shop space to work on it, tires, fuel, the whole Saturday/weeknights etc.

I can buy a kickass rig and content for iRacing over racing for real and still save tons of money. Granted it's not exactly the same but so much cheaper and more convenient.

I also used to do a lot of track days/autocross and sim racing has also super dampened my enthusiasm in that regard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I figured it would be a good idea to fall into a small money pit like iRacing rather than a large money pit like taking my rally car to do GT Sprints :homebrew:

You got it! Welcome.

I said come in! posted:

No joke. I'm lucky in that I have a few local options, but a single weekend at COTA is about as much money as my wheelbase, a couple trips to COTA and you've covered the entire sim rig and iRacing sub.

And that's not factoring in the cost of the car if you wreck.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Now that I've finally hit A license, I feel like it's time to graduate to the big boys and get serious about learning GT3. The faster car definitely makes my limitations as a driver harder to hide with basic things like "don't crash" and "put a miniscule amount of effort into finding a line." I'm at the point where I'm able to complete races cleanly but I feel like I just suck at everything and have a hard time focusing on what needs to be improved. I know it's a lot to ask, but I was hoping a few people could check out this race and give me one or two things to really focus on first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBLkArqOwB0

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010

KillHour posted:

Now that I've finally hit A license, I feel like it's time to graduate to the big boys and get serious about learning GT3. The faster car definitely makes my limitations as a driver harder to hide with basic things like "don't crash" and "put a miniscule amount of effort into finding a line." I'm at the point where I'm able to complete races cleanly but I feel like I just suck at everything and have a hard time focusing on what needs to be improved. I know it's a lot to ask, but I was hoping a few people could check out this race and give me one or two things to really focus on first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBLkArqOwB0

Ok, few pointers in order of importance.
- Come into the discord, and do league races with us
- Use all the track, there are a lot of places where you don't use the full width on corner exit, which costs you speed.
- I don't know if you have a load cell pedal (which would probably help), but you're triggering ABS quite often, especially in T1. That way you're constantly missing the apex and it costs you at least a second until the bus stop. Brake % is ~75 in the BMW before you trigger ABS.
- The bus stop is one corner, meaning you brake (lightly!) only once from the entry (before 300 board) over the first two curbs until the middle and then accelerate from there. Again, 1s here to find
- Watch a track guide for the gt3, doesn't matter which car, so you learn the lines faster. A 15min track guide will save you 1h of running laps by yourself. This one seems quite ok: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cofPmXDZUcQ
- Ask for a .blap file in the discord and follow that around for a few laps. There's a .ini setting where you can show the ghost car not transparent and set the offset to you, so it's easier to follow.

Otherwise it's not too bad, if you can address the track lines and abs issues, you're good for an easy 2s improvement

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Here's a question.

If I get the fanatec v3 pedals, is my gtomega knockoff going to slide the gently caress around the vinyl flooring I have in the basement

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Schorsch posted:

Ok, few pointers in order of importance.
- Come into the discord, and do league races with us
100% the key to getting good right here. Also do endurance races with us.

Also, a PSA to the thread in general: I know iRacing makes this stuff with some people a bit weird by insisting on real names, but I don't give a poo poo who you are on SA, you can use a diff name in discord if you want, there's no "prove you're a goon" type stuff to get let in, there are a bunch of non-SA people involved. Just race cars.

Vando fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 20, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Here's a question.

If I get the fanatec v3 pedals, is my gtomega knockoff going to slide the gently caress around the vinyl flooring I have in the basement

I put the stand on a yoga mat and it's completely still on the hardwood.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ohh good idea I think I have a cheap / old one my boo wanted to tods. If not I can pic one up at target it whatever

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Ohh good idea I think I have a cheap / old one my boo wanted to tods. If not I can pic one up at target it whatever

Yeah I used to put yoga blocks behind the stand and against the wall so I could push against that, but when I started using the podium shifters they were audible in the next room over (and probably the apt below us) until I put the yoga mat down. I swear I don't own a yoga supply franchise.

e: I would get the thinnest possible one because even with a normal thickness one I do get a very small amount of side to side rocking movement with the stand as the foam compresses from the sudden load.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

cool thanks.. part of me wants to go 1440p 27" 30" monitor for when I'm not doing VR racecars / other games. I usualy unsub to iracing / race less in summer due to doing outside things. My T3PA pedals are okay but I can't even attempt to heel toe with them kuz the brake is very squishy..

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
Have you tired area rug anti-slip sheeting for under your pedals? I use a piece of that (though I also block the back of it as a safe guard) and I don't have issues with the pedal base slipping. I also used little pieces of it on the shifter clamps that hold the shifter to my desk because without it I couldn't get it to hold tight enough without moving if I had to make a quick like reverse to first kind of maneuver after wrecking (it obviously barely comes up because I'm so pro I never wreck).

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My pedals don't move currently but I'm at the threshold of them moving. I'm going to assume the clutch on the V3 pedals and the brake will require more force which means the wheelstand might move.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I’ve got the CSL pedals with the load cell on it, and with the whole shebang mounted to the gt omega apex, it’s still stable.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Entered into an 80 lap hosted race to help raise money for the juvenile diabetes research foundation. 30 drivers, I started 25th. Even with a fixed setup I had a hell of a time keeping up with the pack, and only got up toward the front on a strategy call during a caution. Then this happened.

https://clips.twitch.tv/FastAmazingKathyKlappa-s7Xn615QWJH0WIEn

Yup. I (kind of) caused The Big One. Finished 27th. Hell of a fun night, hell of a fun crash.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Paint looks good!

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

tater_salad posted:

My pedals don't move currently but I'm at the threshold of them moving. I'm going to assume the clutch on the V3 pedals and the brake will require more force which means the wheelstand might move.

We were talking about this in discord the other day but you might want to skip the v3s because they're at the wrong price point (for the level of quality they are) if you don't want to spend a lot of money I'd get Fanatec CSL LC pedals, if you want very good pedals I'd reach for the heusinkveld sprints

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 21, 2021

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The clutch on the V3s isn’t that bad, but if you turn braking force (BRF) up past 30 or so, you’ll find you have to stomp on ‘em pretty hard to get to threshold. That said, they’re incredibly tunable so you can dial in whatever throw and pressure you’d like.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I think people forget that the V3s aren't really that much more expensive than CSL Elites, stretching an extra €130 is a lot more feasible than an extra €420, especially for somebody upgrading from an entry level wheel and pedals.

I have had some minor issues with mine that are easily solved if you have any kind of mechanical understanding (I do not, as the discord knows).

I fell for the hype of everybody complaining that the standard brakes are too soft on the V3s, so I got the brake upgrade kit which was a total waste since by default they are plenty stiff enough for me (and I've lost the box it was in somewhere).

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 21, 2021

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I love the V3’s so much. I couldn’t drive with a brake bias as low as I drive now with my old pedals. I can confidently apply 10% brake pressure and know what it feels like whereas before I had no consistency at all because the pedal had no feel to it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Douchebag posted:

I love the V3’s so much. I couldn’t drive with a brake bias as low as I drive now with my old pedals. I can confidently apply 10% brake pressure and know what it feels like whereas before I had no consistency at all because the pedal had no feel to it.

Do you mean brake bias like in game brake bias which determines the distribution of braking force to the front vs the rear of the car? I can't imagine how different pedals would make you want to shift your brake bias rearward (aka lower it)? The only other thing I can think of that you might mean is the brake force modifier in iRacing which should always be set to 0 for linear braking input relative to pedal sensor data anyways so I'm a bit confused.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Do you mean brake bias like in game brake bias which determines the distribution of braking force to the front vs the rear of the car? I can't imagine how different pedals would make you want to shift your brake bias rearward (aka lower it)? The only other thing I can think of that you might mean is the brake force modifier in iRacing which should always be set to 0 for linear braking input relative to pedal sensor data anyways so I'm a bit confused.

My flawed understanding: It's more effective to have your brake bias towards the rear (more front potential grip going in to turning than slowing down, I think?), the downside is that if you lock the rears you are deeeeeeead.

So with good and accurate control over braking, you should lock up less, meaning you can risk putting the bias further back as you are less likely to die.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
It's also good to play with your bias corner to corner, depending. I tend to bump it forward into fast corners that take a lot of trail braking, and rearward into heavy zones into slow corners, but it varies corner to corner track to track. I prefer a more forward balance because I don't like to do the big s🅱️inalla

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I meant in game brake bias yes. I do mostly oval racing so prior to owning the V3’s I could never go below 60% front bias before really. Now I’m consistently in the mid to low 50’s, car and track dependent of course.

For road racing, I mostly do skips and Mazda’s, I’m way more confident braking as well because the feel of the pedal is so good.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

We were talking about this in discord the other day but you might want to skip the v3s because they're at the wrong price point (for the level of quality they are) if you don't want to spend a lot of money I'd get Fanatec CSL LC pedals, if you want very good pedals I'd reach for the heusinkveld sprints

No that wasn't me I don't think.
The csl pedals seem good but the v3s also seem good and are around 120 more. That gets me an actual clutch instead of a brake that's now a clutch. And gas/brake vibration for wheelspin/ sliding.

I haven't tried either but I feel like my t3pa pros are okay but not amazing especially for road racing. for Nascar you can just do whatever the gently caress you don't need that much feel.

Edit: I'm not ever going to upgrade to DD or $800 pedals. I think after going v3 pedals.and some kind of better wheel for F1. I'm done with accessories for sim driving.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 21, 2021

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I keep thinking about doing upgrades from CSL base + V2 pedals but by all accounts it doesn't make you any quicker at that point, just makes it 'more realistic' which I don't really care about. If you were someone who was seriously into getting practice on tracks for real life stuff I could see it, as it'd make you get better muscle memory for the real thing, but just for sim stuff I don't see much point. Maybe if my existing gear breaks I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I mean maybe I just go with the csl pedals then? I dunno. It's kind of hard without really using either. Basically I want not poo poo brake my t3pa pedals are "worse" than my Logitech 920 pedals (the 920 pedals are .about stiffer (but they are kind of what I'm use to, my braking is rough I currently have a basic idea where I am but really it could be 30% or 50%. Maybe I'm just poo poo and should maybe do not road racing

The 120 extra won't kill me and I figured I'd go to the v3 pedals because I don't want to feel like I dropped 230 and I could have spent 120 more and gotten some super sweet pedals that are have better "feedback" (edit: apparently the motor vibe on the pedals isn't that great).

Maybe instead I'll get a super sweet f1 wheel with buttons and dials for playing f1 games / indycar in iRacing.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 22, 2021